Old 03-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #1

Chaparral 390 qsmb water tank location

Went to dewinterize yesterday evening. Turned the valves to fill the fresh water tank and turned on the faucet. Within 2 minutes I had water draining from under the front of the trailer! Not the drain. Thought it was between the axles, as there appears to be a drain behind the tires just like our last trailer. Ran out of daylight, and today's weather was miserable so haven't got into it yet. We bought in July, winterized in November. This would be the first time putting water in the tank. Hoping nothing to serious as first outing is in 2 weeks and to early for the water to be turned on at the campground.

So, would my water tank be in front under the pass through storage or back by the axles?

Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

It may be your low point drains or the drain on your tank I can't tell you where your tank is located. Turn the valves to the other position or put a cap on the drain and see what happens. let the forum know what you find/fix

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Use food coloring in tank to trace ....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

Not the low point drain, as water is pouring out between the sheets that enclose the under belly the whole width of the trailer. Almost like somethings not attached. Gonna try and get into it this weekend and will pass on what I find. Will call dealer monday and ask, possibly make an appointment as its still under warranty. Don't like that idea as they are 150 miles away and a pretty busy dealer. Good chance if it goes in I might not see it in time for the holiday. Looks like I'm starting the camping season by cancelling camping trips.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #5

Kenz,who performed the "Winterizing? Youroo!!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

I did the winterize myself. And I went through the whole scenario over and over. Pink stuff through the kitchen faucet, bath faucet, shower faucet, toilet, outside shower. Even the washer/dryer faucet. Even pumped out the low point drains.

So today, after I put brake pads and rotors on the DW car, I took the gear out of the trailer along with the partition wall. Carpet was damp, so I'm thinking that's good, being whatever happened, happened above the floor (accessible). When I got in first thing I see is the red line (hot) to the water heater snapped the 90° fitting. Why I don't know, shouldn't be any water pressure there at all. Tank bypass is on, and the plug remained out all winter. Dark now, so when I get up tomorrow afternoon I'll hook up the compressor and pump about 20lbs of air through it and see what's what.

And before anyone inquires about my late sleeping habits, I work nights and sleep in the morning. Lol!
Old 04-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

Okay, here's what I found. Fitting is a compression fitting, and appears that it wasn't quite tightened up. Put back together and pumped air in the system and no leaks. Slight bit of air coming thru the hot water drain. Thinking water heater bypass not closing all the way. Hooked up the water and filed the tank, and dewinterize the trailer. Back in business! Well hopefully. Running last of fresh water thru then will fill water heater, fire it up and see that the fitting holds. Surprised it didn't pop using it last summer. Anyway, hopefully back in business.

Thoughts...the plumbing dock is a mess, regular plumbing nightmare. Sticker says all faucets off when filling tank. True, as when filling tank water is also available to all cold faucets. Found that black tank wash hose goes up and under the bathroom sink. Makes a 180 then back down to the black tank. Must be some sort of vacuum break or back drain, or something. Also need to replace bypass valve as I don't think it's sealing 100%. My last trailer had the same water dock and I'm not a fan. Kind of like the older more simpler version. Might do up a pan and eliminate it completely.

Also water tank is above/behind axles. Heard scary stories about weak water tank mounts, and not to travel with a full tank. Well we're gonna test the theory as I'm filling the tank on the way out. Camp is only 15 miles, so wish me luck!

Pic is of the offending water line.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_200911.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	133663Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_200903.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	133664

Tags
cat, location, tank, water, water tank