Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Cherokee 27L filtration system

I purcased a used 2005 Cherokee 27l from a dealer last winter. I discovererd last spring that the filter was missing out of the canister. I picked up a free replacement but couldn't remove the canister from the wall mounted unit. Not sure if the canister is simply screwed on or not but it wouldn't budge. I feared that I would break it off the wall so I let it be. Last fall I had to unscrewed the intire unit from the wall to drain the water from the canister to winterize it. When I did this I heard something fall (like a wall plate) from inside the wall where the canister is attached. I emptied the water and reattached the hook ups. The system was then flushed with RV antifreeze. The canister is now full of antifreeze too. Come spring I will tackle replacing the filter again. Can anyone tell me if the canister does simply screw off? If so are they right or left threads (Don't want to break it)? If I choose to not replace the filter will the RV antifreeze in the canister flush out when hooking up city water again in the spring.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

I would (NOT) leave the element in the filter! If you like the taste of RV antifreeze ,even after flushing,leave it in there. Remove and replace the element. Right hand threads. Apply (Petro Jelly) on O ring& threads of can. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

Sorry I see that there is NO element in there now! Youroo!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It is right hand thread. If you have to, just buy a new whole house filter from hardware store. As for using "Petro Jelly", as posted above..... That is Petroleum Jelly, and yes it is made from Petroleum products. All the folks on here afraid of a little antifreeze in their water system is one thing that doesn't bother me, but I don't want any petroleum products in my water system for sure. I never lube the "O" ring, but if I did, I would use Crisco, or cooking oil. I usually tighten until I feel it touch the "O" ring, then add 1/8 to 1/4 turn, NO MORE. That is tight enough not to leak. Good Luck
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
It is right hand thread. If you have to, just buy a new whole house filter from hardware store. As for using "Petro Jelly", as posted above..... That is Petroleum Jelly, and yes it is made from Petroleum products. All the folks on here afraid of a little antifreeze in their water system is one thing that doesn't bother me, but I don't want any petroleum products in my water system for sure. I never lube the "O" ring, but if I did, I would use Crisco, or cooking oil. I usually tighten until I feel it touch the "O" ring, then add 1/8 to 1/4 turn, NO MORE. That is tight enough not to leak. Good Luck
Prestone RV Antifreeze ,MSD SP380,Formula YA-955-YA967,Hazardous Componts-Propylene Glycol,Ingestion-Lactic acidosis,Stupor,andSeizures After this I am going to use natural (BEAR Grease)!! Youroo!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Filtration issue

WOW, Thank you for the quick reponse. I will take your advice. If I can't seem to untwist that caniter I will either buy a new one that was suggested above. Or maybe even hook it up direct and bypass it. I could always buy a filter for the ouside hose, Right?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Forgot to ask if there is any difference in the onboard filtration system compared to a inline hose system. If so maybe I should pursue replacing that canister.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Both of our Cherokee`s have/had the built in water filter. there should be a white "spanner wrench that slides up from the bottom of the clear housing that will loosen it they are normal right hand threads. they can be tight so it will take some muscle and some type of way to hold the part that it twists onto. I gave up on replacing the elements so now I just by the outside filter and use that. last year I also added a drinking water filter and faucet to the kitchen sink. so now I have drinking water that has been filtered twice. best tasting water I have had. I still have the filter housing hooked up, just no filter in it.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote