Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

City Water

I'm a new owner of a Rockwood Mini Lite 2506s and going on first outing. Question is about city water hook up - I will not be boondocking on this first trip. Question is, once I hook up the hose from the water source to my trailer, does the water spigot stay on the whole time or do I turn it off at some point? Not sure if once on it stays on or does it reach a "full" capacity and I would need to turn it off? Thank you.
kdfogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfogard View Post
I'm a new owner of a Rockwood Mini Lite 2506s and going on first outing. Question is about city water hook up - I will not be boondocking on this first trip. Question is, once I hook up the hose from the water source to my trailer, does the water spigot stay on the whole time or do I turn it off at some point? Not sure if once on it stays on or does it reach a "full" capacity and I would need to turn it off? Thank you.
City water and FW tank water are two separate things. When you hook up to city water, it works like your house. On Demand. There's no such thing as "full capacity". That's why it's called city water.
"Full capacity" would apply to the FW tank water, which requires the water pump to be on, in order to access the tank water. It uses a different port to fill the tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #3

When you hook up to city water do NOT turn on the water pump. You will have the pressure from the city water to move it thru the rv. I learned this the hard way, had city water and pump on. Woke up to water overflowing out of the fresh water tank and on the floor of the trailer. Seems the check valve got stuck!
Lostcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

As stated by others above, the city water hookup is separate from you fresh water tank and acts just like your water at home.
It is a good idea to have a water regulator installed in your line, wherever you would like, before coming into camper if you don't already have one.
Also, a habit that I have is shutting off the water at pedestal or their spigot before I leave the camper for a long period of time. Just to be safe incase a leak develops when we aren't there. Came back to a camper flooded inside once from a sink supply hose leaking. Not fun!
Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

Thank you for your responses - I'm assuming then with city water hook up, once you turn on the spigot from water source, you do not turn off the spigot during your entire stay... is that correct?
Old 08-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for your responses - I'm assuming then with city water hook up, once you turn on the spigot from water source, you do not turn off the spigot during your entire stay... is that correct?
Reread #4. He is correct in that it is a good habit to turn off the city water supply (or pump if boondocking) if you intend to be gone for a substantial amount of time. Can save some nasty surprises if something in your water system starts leaking
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

Thank you, yes, reread #4 and makes sense...will probably have some follow up questions as I muddle my way thru this new venture - had no idea the number of details that goes into trailering... thanks again...
Old 08-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you, yes, reread #4 and makes sense...will probably have some follow up questions as I muddle my way thru this new venture - had no idea the number of details that goes into trailering... thanks again...
Oh, we have all been where you are. The important part is that you are doing it! I've been RVing since I was 5 with my grandparents. Still learning stuff all the time
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, water