Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2024, 07:27 PM   #1

City water fills fresh tank?

I hook up to city water and it fills my fresh water tank. Check valve, somewhere?
2018 Forest River Wildwood X - lite
Nea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I hook up to city water and it fills my fresh water tank. Check valve, somewhere?
2018 Forest River Wildwood X - lite
Yes usually in the water pump. You can try to run the pump to free it. Turn off / disconnect the city water first.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:05 AM   #3

Happened to me before. I looked and looked for an actual check valve, still haven’t found one.
Shut off your city water supply. Run your water pump for a few minutes with a faucet open to increase flow through the pump. That should help dislodge any grit or whatever from the pump diaphrams. The water is back flowing through the pump.
So, if your tank overflows, just shut off the city water and use your pump for a while.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Shut off city water. Turn of any faucet to relieve pressure. Once water stops turn on water pump and run water for a few seconds. Shut off faucet. once water pump stops tuen ff water pump. Turn city water back on.
This should reset the check valve. Do not run water pump when connected to city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:03 AM   #5

You can also add an external check valve inline before or after the pump if the internal one won’t work
Old 05-14-2024, 02:15 PM   #6

So, now you know the check valve is part of the pump, and it is the likely culprit. And you have suggestions for clearing it.
If all else fails, a new, standard of the industry Shurflo is $70. While you're at it, get a new screen filter for the input.

Point of information. If you regularly camp with hookups, exercise your water pump now and again. A common practice is to first sanitize the fresh tank and pump plumbing...so you can drink that water. Next, fill the fresh tank on site as a backup system in case the city water fails (many rural RV parks are on wells, and a full park can run a well "dry," or the pump can fail). And now the important part: 4 or 5 times a season, shut off the hose bib for the city water and turn on the pump and use it for a while to keep it healthy...and to know it's working if you need it...say for boondocking.

Once you pull out of the campsite, open the drain valve on the fresh tank so you aren't toting all that water about. Depending on your drain valve, the water will dump in a big gush (1 1/4" gate valve) or will piddle out slowly but resolutely (1/4" quarter-turn ball valve). Regardless, you'll want to empty away from a campsite and possibly while going down the road. Fresh tanks aren't always that well supported, so it's best to travel empty unless you are boondocking.

Finally, especially if you have a 1 1/4" gate valve dump on your fresh tank, close the valve as soon as the tank is drained so road schmoo and/or rodents don't end up inside your fresh tank. And close a small quarter-turn ball valve, too, so bugs and such don't take up residence in your fresh tank. A water source can be a powerful draw for many critters. But I digress. We were talking about pumps, weren't we?
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:24 PM   #7
Scoundrel

A simple thing to check also is your shower miser if you have one. If its turned on it will allow city water to fill your fresh water tank.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote