Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

City Water Pressure Regulator - Need recommendation

When I bought our trailer the dealer advised us to purchase an in-line city water pressure regulator so, we bought this one - http://a.co/d/1vmDm2K

By living with it's performance I am not sure if it is mostly regulating flow. Sure the pressure is lower, I think. I have not added a static pressure gage so cannot know for sure but I can really tell we do not have decent water flow.

So, I am thinking to purchase one like this as a replacement - http://a.co/d/jd9Hggn

Before I do I thought it best to ask the experts who have more RV experience. Any thoughts on the subject?
2016 Silverado LT with Tow Option
2step3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step3313 View Post
When I bought our trailer the dealer advised us to purchase an in-line city water pressure regulator so, we bought this one - http://a.co/d/1vmDm2K

By living with it's performance I am not sure if it is mostly regulating flow. Sure the pressure is lower, I think. I have not added a static pressure gage so cannot know for sure but I can really tell we do not have decent water flow.

So, I am thinking to purchase one like this as a replacement - http://a.co/d/jd9Hggn

Before I do I thought it best to ask the experts who have more RV experience. Any thoughts on the subject?

That would be completely acceptable . you just want to be sure and keep psi no higher the 60 . most rv's claim 40 to 50 . the pex pipe they use is rated much higher . but the cheap plastic fittings and in some cases faucets , toilet etc can't handle pressure over 60
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Team

That's a good unit. I'm not crazy about the gauge being 0-160 PSI. I would like better if it was 0-100, but it works fine.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

The question is: What pressure are you regulating? If you cannot answer that, you could be wasting your time. I suggest you get a stand alone simple water gauge. Sanitize and test the bib pressure. If it is over 60, then by all means, slap a regulator on it. If it is 40-55 all you can do is reduce the flow and end up with an anemic shower. YMMV
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

That’s the one I recently purchased. Makes a huge difference from the ones you buy a rv dealer or Walmart
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

You never 'when', not 'if' the pressure spikes.
That's a good regulator, however the gauge tends to go out after a few years but that's an easy $5 replacement. I used the you are replacing for a year or so and found it restricts the flow to much.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Coach

Same style we use. We hook it up on arrival, if pressure is well below 60, we take it back off. We have found a couple state parks with over 80psi, so we're happy to have it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #8

So that looks like another question (that I did not ask) was answered also. Below what static pressure is safe. As cheaply made as my Salem is made I should probably keep below 50psi.

I have gauges and fittings but unfortunately they are all for Fire Department connections when I taught for the Fire Service. I have to start to think smaller!

And yes I would pick up a replacement gauge with a lower range just to keep things real.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

On my last outing a few months ago, the water regulator I have with a gauge showed 60 pounds and it's supposed to limit it to 40 pounds. I had a slow leak at the toilet that week.

I recently removed the toilet and checked and I think the Mickey Mouse pex screw on connector to the toilet valve was the cause. The washer was flat.

Anyway, I placed another regulator in front of the one with a gauge and the gauge now shows 40 pounds so the one with the gauge failed somehow.

I now carry a spare water regulator and a regular water pressure gauge too. I actually found that Lowe's carries them.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

Get a Watts whole house regulator and adapt to fit..Full flow with adjusted pressure . factory adjusted at 50 psi.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

Second one

The second one you showed, if it allows you to adjust the pressure is just fine. i use one just like it. Had the first one you bought myself and never knew what my pressure was coming in so i got the second one you showed. Works fine
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

I use and recommend a Valterra Hi Flow Water Pressure, https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...dp/B003YJJHI0?

It gives 15- 20% more flow at 50 - 55 PSI
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
Get a Watts whole house regulator and adapt to fit..Full flow with adjusted pressure . factory adjusted at 50 psi.

I'll second that. Never any low flow unless the supply pressure is low, then, there's nothing to do but fill your onboard tank and use it. We've used a Watts for ten years now and no problems, no replacing every 2-3 years.

AFDon
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #14

I want all the pressure every campground can give me........which is not much, too often.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #15

I bought the same gauge from amazon but it only lasted about a year of use. It developed a pinhole leak
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #16

I really like the large Watts unit but it's more than I want to spend and try to plumb on my entry level Salem. Of the other adjustable units the Renator has the very best reviews and they seem more committed as a company.

One thing I noticed is that the casting marks and features on many of the ones that cost less look almost identical. This usually points to the same overseas factory making all units. In reading the negative reviews most of these units develop casting and joint leaks.

So, I am pulling the trigger on this Renator http://a.co/d/iGks8Q5 time will tell if my choice holds up.

Thanks to all for your input. It really helps!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #17

The safest option is to fill your tank and use the pump. This prevents over pressure. It also helps control how much you put in your gray and black tanks.

This can also help you see how much water you really use if you are planning to ever boondock or go without full hook ups.

We have been doing this more often than not lately. That said, I do have. Watts pressure gauge that is adjustable.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, pressure, water