Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

City water thru filter?

I never carry water in my TT. The type of camping we are doing presently puts us in camps that always have a water connection so I don't see the sense in carrying around all that extra weight. For those rare times we might need to spend one night pulled over in a parking lot just to sleep, we plan ahead and carry 4-5 gallon jugs of water for morning coffee and other needs.

My question ... does a city water connection go thru the water filter? Or does it by-pass it with the assumption that a city connection is already filtered? Just wondering if I need to continue to change the filter every year or not.

Thanks.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

IF your unit has a built in water filter city water SHOULD go thru it.

I use a inline filter that gets replaced at the start of the camping season regardless of how much it was used the season before.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

If you have a built in water filter typically it is a whole house filter and all non heated water passes thru it, regardless of where it comes from (shore/holding tank).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

I have an onboard filter that all water EXCEPT to the toilet flows through it. Why filter toilet water other than to keep trash out? The pump and T to the toilet are prefilter.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

I filter all the water that enters the trailer, through an inline filter attached that the city water inlet. I do not have a separate inline for toilet water.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
I filter all the water that enters the trailer, through an inline filter attached that the city water inlet. I do not have a separate inline for toilet water.
Nor do I, betting that separating the toilet from the rest of the unit was a plumbing nightmare......
Old 10-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Filter for City Water

We are similar in that we camp with full hookups most of the time and the trailer has a system filter for all incoming water. That said we added city water to the fresh holding tank in Wichita KS this past June and finished our trip about a week later without emptying it out or having to use it. The water in the fresh tank developed a very bad odor which the main filter would not remove. We ended up dumping the tank, adding a chemical just for this purpose ( I forget which one) to the new fresh water and letting it sit for a week or so. It did get rid of the odor and we are good, but now we use an additional filter at the shore connection all the time. I have not noticed any drop in water pressure with both filters connected and now if we want to carry fresh water in the tank we can fill up knowing it is filtered. The blue filters that fit on the supply hose end are not expensive and are easy to use; I just dump the water out of mine and store it on top of the hose in the bay.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
vfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
I'm not sure that is a good idea David. We just bought a filter because our toilet was stopped up. Apparently trash in the water had accumulated over time to the point where the toilet would barely flush.
vfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

We filter all water. On board filter when using city water and when filling at state parks, use a filter on the fill hose.
Have read that some campers run into sand or grit in water supply. Don't want to have that mess!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

We have the whole house filter that came in our 5er . In the spring I will remove it and use a inline filter .
Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The installed factory filter does both tank water and city water in my trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The installed factory filter does both tank water and city water in my trailer.
X2, but my toilet line Tees off pre-filter and post check valve of the city water. Always had super water pressure at the toilet except when it was new and stopped up with plastic trash. Cleared it out and has worked fine since.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I never carry water in my TT. The type of camping we are doing presently puts us in camps that always have a water connection so I don't see the sense in carrying around all that extra weight. For those rare times we might need to spend one night pulled over in a parking lot just to sleep, we plan ahead and carry 4-5 gallon jugs of water for morning coffee and other needs.

My question ... does a city water connection go thru the water filter? Or does it by-pass it with the assumption that a city connection is already filtered? Just wondering if I need to continue to change the filter every year or not.

Thanks.
I would still use an in line filter I worked at a campground all the plumbing was out dated iron pipe every time you turned water on you would get a shot of rusty water.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #14

We travel to many different areas and are never sure of water quality. We utilize a dual canister filter system to remove sediment and improve taste. We run all incoming water through it wether it's tank or city side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	93173  
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We are similar in that we camp with full hookups most of the time and the trailer has a system filter for all incoming water. That said we added city water to the fresh holding tank in Wichita KS this past June and finished our trip about a week later without emptying it out or having to use it. The water in the fresh tank developed a very bad odor which the main filter would not remove. We ended up dumping the tank, adding a chemical just for this purpose ( I forget which one) to the new fresh water and letting it sit for a week or so. It did get rid of the odor and we are good, but now we use an additional filter at the shore connection all the time. I have not noticed any drop in water pressure with both filters connected and now if we want to carry fresh water in the tank we can fill up knowing it is filtered. The blue filters that fit on the supply hose end are not expensive and are easy to use; I just dump the water out of mine and store it on top of the hose in the bay.
You got well water . it will start to smell like rotten eggs in about a week of storage . when ever i know i'm getting well water i make sure it's only in unit for a few days . will really get bad in hwh if left in
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Be careful with storing filters in the bay, on top of the hose as you say...if you are not using the trailer for a few days, a week, whatever, it gets awfully warm in those storage bays and whatever is in that filter can grow and become a science project...when not in use those filters should actually be stored in a fridge.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #17

Filter for City Water

On the advice of my dealer, when winterizing, I took the filter out, wrapped it in a sandwich bag, and put it in the freezer compartment in the house refrigerator. He said that would kill the bacteria in it and I could put it back in the canister next Spring. Does that seem like good advice?

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #18

Thanks for all the great answers. I'll keep replacing the filter each year. And after reading some of these answers I think I'll look into an inline filter as well.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
On the advice of my dealer, when winterizing, I took the filter out, wrapped it in a sandwich bag, and put it in the freezer compartment in the house refrigerator. He said that would kill the bacteria in it and I could put it back in the canister next Spring. Does that seem like good advice?

kdot
I would replace it every year at least. Due to usage I replace a minimum of twice a season.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I have an onboard filter that all water EXCEPT to the toilet flows through it. Why filter toilet water other than to keep trash out? The pump and T to the toilet are prefilter.
Maybe these were rhetorical questions, but:

Either way, we probably all change the onboard filter every year. It's not like filtering the water going to the toilet will cause anyone to change the filter more often (unless perhaps you're full-time, and actually use a counter).

Plus, that's a 3rd water line that has to be run to the bathroom. Which means more antifreeze to winterize. For me, that would mean having to purchase a 2nd gallon, then store most of it til next year.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water