Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #1

cold weather living

We have a 30' Wildwood extra light that we keep at an RV park in southern Oklahoma. We use it on weekends all year round so it is never put up and winterized. I have a well insulated water supply with heated hose and two small space heaters inside to keep the inside temp at about 50 during winter months when we are away. I also turn off the water source and drain, water lines as well as gray and black tanks between visits. I was recently advised to also turn off the breaker for the heat coil in the hot water tank and drain the tank so it would not freeze. My question is, what would be wrong with leaving the water in the tank and the breaker on for one or two weeks we are away from the trailer. Is there any risk that the 6 gallons of water in the tank would evaporate and then burn up the coil in a two week period if the outside water supply is turned off.
robal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

You state above that you "Turn off the water source and drain" if the tank siphoned out, that would be a problem. Cheap insurance to kill electric to tank and drain. There is an air cushion at the top of the tank that needs renewal every so often for expansion so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

If you have heat inside, you probably don't need to leave the water heater on. BUT, make sure the water heater is in a space thats heated. i.e. if its hidden behind some drawers or in a cabinet. take the draws out or block the cabinet doors open so the inside heat can also get to the water heater.

leaving the water heater on would definitely keep it from freezing, but may not be necessary.