Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #1

Unhappy Cracked fresh water tank

Hello,

On my '17 Roo I was hooked up to city water with a pressure regulator and noticed water dripping from the area of my fresh water tank. When I looked closer, my fresh water tank was unexpectedly full (I had not filled it). There was a crack near the low point drain on the FW tank that was spraying water out. It appears that my water pump was feeding water into the FW tank due to a failed check valve. I had the water pump replaced and this is no longer occurring. I believe the weight of the water and the pressure from the pump caused the crack but it is impossible to know for sure if it may have already been compromised during transit. I think if I try to use the tank to hold water that it will either further damage it or just leak all of the water out.

What are my options? Can a crack in one of these tanks be repaired with epoxy or something like durabond tape? or am I going to have to replace the tank (and can I replace the tank myself)?
tdischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Drain the tank, let it dry, and try some "JB Weld"
Hope it works for you.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #3

if your drain was closed it probably blew from pressure when your check valve stuck open. Side note you probably didnt need to replace the pump you could of ran the pump to reset it.

I wouldn't trust a fix depending how bad. Probably have to replace. Google plastic water tanks. There is a page that sells nothing but those. Can probably get exact same dimensions and replace yourself if handy.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #4

buy a jar of abs black repair glue, a piece of fiberglass cloth , glue ,strip of cloth, glue, cloth. in a X , let dry. repeat in a square this time closing in the X. let dry , and a top coat all glue. Fiberglaas company sells cloth buy the foot.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Probably have to replace. Google plastic water tanks. There is a page that sells nothing but those. Can probably get exact same dimensions and replace yourself if handy.

I did google and found icondirect and ntotanks, which was encouraging. I'm not sure if the straps holding it in place are bolted or welded to the frame. Bolts I would be OK with... if it was going to require cutting and rewelding the straps that hold the tank in, that would be beyond my skill set.

I think i'll try the JB weld suggestion first and see how long that lasts.
tdischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #6

you wont have to replace it ! this is 2022, if desperate you can melt a zip tie with a soldering iron. utube it it works Practice first on a junk piece of plastic car trim.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:15 PM   #7

j b under water weld will fix it . get the J.B. brand .
Old 04-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdischino View Post
I did google and found icondirect and ntotanks, which was encouraging. I'm not sure if the straps holding it in place are bolted or welded to the frame. Bolts I would be OK with... if it was going to require cutting and rewelding the straps that hold the tank in, that would be beyond my skill set.

I think i'll try the JB weld suggestion first and see how long that lasts.
tank-depot.com
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #9

This does not help with your Cracked fresh water tank, but it will give you further insight into fresh water tank modifications.

The link is to a recent discussion regarding sagging fresh water tank modifications.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-246726.html

Hope this helps…
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #10

I have a friend that used JB weld to glue a piece back on to his boat prop. Pretty amazing stuff.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #11

fresh water tank

developed a small crack in formed corner of our tank - drained tank - used - all plastic glue with activator -cleaned area with alcohol then covered area with a piece if eternabond tape 2 inch wide - sticks to everything, no issues so far - tried to remove eternabond to see how it stuck - not able to do so
Alde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #12

You most likely did not need to replace your old water pump. 'City Water' does from time to time will back flow through the water pump because of some small amount of debris that gets stuck in the check valve. Running the pump a little bit will sometime clean this debris out. Or checking the check valve and clean it and it will be fine. imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #13

What material?

If the tank is inside the unit, it could be clear polyethylene. Here's a video on making the repair.

If it's under the unit and opaque, it could be high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Some users have reported successful repairs by taking a scrap of HDPE from another item (tote box, garden implement, garbage can) and melting it across the break using a heat gun. Clean everything well first.

If the crack is at a screw-in fitting (vent, fill, or drain) this will be difficult to fix. The tapered pipe thread will cause the fitting to open the crack as it is tightened.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #14

quick and easy
3 inch wide gorilla tape

I taped a one inch round hole in my boat left from a broken live well pump with a 4 inch long piece of black Gorilla tape. That tape was within 8 inch of the prop. Stayed under water for 3 weeks on a Canadian fishing trip. When I got home and went to fix the pump I had to use a pair of pliers to help remove the tape from the back of the aluminum boat. Clean the spot well before taping. That stuff is super strong. I would tape the crack top to bottom then tape it again side to side.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, fresh water, tank, water, water tank