Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #1

Crushed Grey Water Line, Plumbing

2017 CC Silverback 35IK.

When Kitchen and/or shower is draining, water is leaking from the main line from the tank to the dump valve. After dropping the pan(s) forward of the front axle I have found a cracked/broken 1-1/2 or maybe 2" thin-walled plastic pipe from which the leak is coming from. How the line got crushed or broken is a big question, but it does run above the kitchen slide-out.

Has anyone else had this issue and where on earth can I find a FR/CC plumbing diagram. After spending an hour or so sifting through the forum, it seems FR does not have drawings/schematics which is odd.

All's I would like is the tank/lines and valves drawing.
bynumeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately a FR/CC plumbing diagram doesn't exist. Maybe a generic one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #3

Sorry about your broken pipe. Since there are no diagrams, you may have to measure the diameter of that pipe and get fittings and a pipe to replace the broken one. A mobile mechanic could do it, but it's not going to be cheap.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:37 AM   #4

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I'll go over Poulsbo RV and talk to a mechanic today, then dig into the repair.
bynumeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #5

Have the same rig.easy access to piping.cut out old broken piece,install couplers with new piece.check for leaks.watch some utube videos,it's easy.try looking up pvc pipe repair couplings. Ihave already replaced tank valves.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #6

Some more detail for you

I'm guessing that you might want some more detailed information. No need to visit the dealer. This is a job you can easily do with hand tools.

Since you described the pipe as thin-walled, I'm guessing it's black (ABS). If it were white it would be PVC, rarely used in RVs. It's getting a little hard to find. Amazon has it. The larger Lowe's stores in metropolitan areas have it. The rural stores do not. Your gray water piping is likely to be 1-1/2".

The easiest way to mend this is to use hubless connectors, also called couplings. Some people call them Ferncos because one manufacturer is Fernco. Here is one. Here is another. You will need TWO of these.

Cut out the bad section. Be sure you are well past any longitudinal cracks. (ABS tends to split the long way.) You can use any saw you have handy: wood saw, hack saw, jigsaw, etc. It's very easy to cut. Do your best to keep the ends as square as you can, but they don't have to be perfect.

Then cut the new pipe so it just fits between the two ends of the old pipe. Again, it doesn't have to be perfect, but close is best.

Now, take one of the couplings and hold it alongside the old pipe end so half the coupling overlaps the old end and half extends beyond it. Mark the old pipe at the end of the coupling. You can use a short piece of masking tape or white chalk or whatever. When you assemble this, you will want to have about half the coupling on the old pipe and half on the new pipe. This mark tells you when it's right.

Loosen the bands on the couplers a little bit and slide both couplers completely onto the new segment. Put the new segment into place and slide each coupler out to its mark.

Tighten all four bands firmly. It's easiest to use a nut driver or socket wrench, but you can use a screwdriver. If you do use a screwdriver, use the largest one that will fit into the head. (People mistakenly use a screwdriver that's too small--makes the job much more difficult.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
<<SNIP>>
The easiest way to mend this is to use hubless connectors, also called couplings. Some people call them Ferncos because one manufacturer is Fernco. Here is one. Here is another. You will need TWO of these.
<<SNIP>>
A man after my own heart. I love Fernco fittings!

Repaired a broken tee in the plumbing for my HW-277 that connected the kitchen and outdoor kitchen sinks. Bonus was that the flex that caused the tee to crack is easily absorbed by the rubber Fernco. Problem REALLY solved.

A mod on my latest rig. When boondocking, I need to be able to dump "clean" grey water. Since my grey merges with black and all dumps out of the 3" dump pipe that connects to the stinky slinky, that wouldn't do. I'd contaminate the grey running through the black dump. I added a Fernco tee slightly upstream of this merge, a short length of pipe, a 1 1/2" gate valve, a bit more pipe and a threaded coupler and a Valtera threaded cap with garden hose adapter. I suspended the whole mess with a bit of strapping. I can dump into a bucket to carry to a vault toilet or, when really in the boonies, connect a 25' garden hose and water the trees (desert southwest).

Your repair sounds perfect, and the bonus again is that whatever stresses may have caused the factory thin-wall to break can now be absorbed by the Ferncos.

These fittings are the real deal...not just some kluge. They are legit in home plumbing.

PS. My saw preference is a hand hacksaw with a metal blade because one can be very gentle with it. But that's just a preference when cutting rigid plastic. One of these is perfect for close quarters.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

Also if you can't locate a piece of ABS for the job, you can use PVC without issue.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, plumbing, water