Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

dewinterizing low point drains?

this is my first year where I had to winterize. I'm sure I got the antifreeze in ok. I will get the cover off in a week and plan to dewinterize the plumbing by flushing fresh water through all the lines until they come out clean. but then I got to thinking and realized there are three plumbing stubs (a line that is not connected to anything and ends in a cap). there is a small stub under the kitchen sink (I was told it is for a possible dishwasher). then there are the low point drains. if I just flush fresh water through the system will that clear the antifreeze out of these stubs? should I take the caps of the stubs so that water will flow and flush them? for the low point drains should I flush the system first and then open the drains and allow the water in the lines to drain out? if I open the low point drains before flushing it will drain the antifreeze that is currently in the lines. would this be hazardous if it drained to the ground? thanks for any insight you can offer.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:03 AM   #2

Assuming the water heater is bypassed, flush the system until water runs clear on all faucets/washers/toilets/outside showers. Remove low point drain caps and let the system drain. Remove cap under sink and drain in a bucket. Replace all caps.

If you want to be cautious, repeat the steps.

That will clear all the lines of antifreeze, as for the environmental impact, read the label on the antifreeze container.
email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by email View Post
Assuming the water heater is bypassed, flush the system until water runs clear on all faucets/washers/toilets/outside showers. Remove low point drain caps and let the system drain. Remove cap under sink and drain in a bucket. Replace all caps.

If you want to be cautious, repeat the steps.

That will clear all the lines of antifreeze, as for the environmental impact, read the label on the antifreeze container.
This is very good advice,nice write up! Youroo!! I would only add if your unit has a Winterizing port to also connect fresh water to it and run your water pump to clear this area of A/F also!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

thank you! that makes all kinds of sense and so simple. I can pump a bucket of water up into the antifreeze input port and flush through all the faucets. this is exactly what I did to get the antifreeze in. shut off the pump and then drain the three stubs. (will catch the drained water in a bucket). then I can hook up fresh water to the city water input and flush faucets again and i'll be ready to go. final step is to put in a new clean filter cartridge. so simple! again my thanks!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

How to flush any AF out of an unused washer line? Run hose to washer inside closet in trailer?

What about the filtered water spigot inside the Res. Refrig? Do I have to hold it in till that runs clear too? Filter is out of the unit right now of course. That goes in last after all lines clear, I assume.

Also wondering how long it takes ice maker to quit making pink ice. Guess I'll find out soon. 75 today..........about time to do this.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

I have a couple of answers and an 'I wonder'.

we have washer / dryer prep in our trailer but do not have the appliances. the washer hot and cold hookups are right next to the washer drain. I made a short hose that I can screw onto the hookups and stick down the drain opening. this allows me to open the hookup valve and run the water right down the drain without splashing any water. all you need is a short piece of hose with a female garden hose fitting on it. the hookup faucets are male garden hose thread.

for the refrigerator they make a 'dummy filter cartridge' that is the canister without a filter inside. put it in when you winterize and leave it in when you are flushing the pink out. I will just use the indoor water dispenser to draw water through the refrigerator until the pink is flushed.

now I wonder how long it will take for the ice maker to make clear ice. we do not have power available at our storage location so I cannot run the ice maker. my plan is to simply flush the pink out wherever I can and then run the ice maker on our first trip (2 1/2 weeks from now). i'll just plan on throwing the first several loads of ice away. what I also wonder is whether it will actually be ice or just pink fluid as i'm wondering whether the antifreeze will actually freeze into ice cubes. it could be a mess if it doesn't freeze (and doesn't get pushed out of the tray) and then the ice maker cycles and dumps more fluid into the tray. we'll know soon.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I have a couple of answers and an 'I wonder'.

we have washer / dryer prep in our trailer but do not have the appliances. the washer hot and cold hookups are right next to the washer drain. I made a short hose that I can screw onto the hookups and stick down the drain opening. this allows me to open the hookup valve and run the water right down the drain without splashing any water. all you need is a short piece of hose with a female garden hose fitting on it. the hookup faucets are male garden hose thread.

for the refrigerator they make a 'dummy filter cartridge' that is the canister without a filter inside. put it in when you winterize and leave it in when you are flushing the pink out. I will just use the indoor water dispenser to draw water through the refrigerator until the pink is flushed.

now I wonder how long it will take for the ice maker to make clear ice. we do not have power available at our storage location so I cannot run the ice maker. my plan is to simply flush the pink out wherever I can and then run the ice maker on our first trip (2 1/2 weeks from now). i'll just plan on throwing the first several loads of ice away. what I also wonder is whether it will actually be ice or just pink fluid as i'm wondering whether the antifreeze will actually freeze into ice cubes. it could be a mess if it doesn't freeze (and doesn't get pushed out of the tray) and then the ice maker cycles and dumps more fluid into the tray. we'll know soon.
That's exactly how you do it. When you summerize, remove the low points and open all the sink/shower faucets to drain the antifreeze from the lines. When it stops draining, fire the water pump for about 15 seconds, it will pump out most of the antifreeze that didn't drain thru the low points. Assuming your fresh tank is drained and the valve is open from winterize, replace the low point caps, hook up to city water and flush the blank filter (through the water feed on the door) and toilet. That will clear most if not all of the antifreeze out. And, yes, throw out the first or second batch of ice.
email is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, winter