Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Dewinterizing / No Water Pressure

I am dewinterizing for the first time. Water works fine when hooked to city water. Fresh water tank is full and all I am getting is lots of air and sputtering when I unhook city water and use only fresh water tank. Need some help. :-)

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Sounds like your one way city water value is broke or stuck. Easy and cheep to replace. Could try to poke a pencil in the hole and see if it reseals otherwise a quick fix is swap for the tank fill one until you get a new one.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Sounds like a suction side of pump leak. Check where you broke the connection to winterize? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Always Learning

It sounds like one of your winterization valves is wrong. I have 2 valves on my camper- 1 for bypassing the HW tank and 1 for switching away from the fresh water tank so I can pump antifreeze into the system. It sounds like, to me, that your valve for that is set wrong.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

Three different ideas. I see no leaks. I rehooked up the city water and turned on and ran for awhile and full water pressure out of every faucet including inside/outside shower and toilet. I turn the city water off and the pump stops running. I turn on the cold water in the sink and water runs out just fine for a minute then it starts sputtering as less and less water comes out. I turn off the cold water in the sink and the pump now continues running even with all faucets off. I went outside and took the screen off the city water intake and pressed on the little valve in there and water spit out with lots of air. I went back in and retried the pump and more air and less water.

This is my first time thru dewinterizing and using a TT like this. When you guys say the flux capacitor isn't fluxing I really am a green horn at this and wont know where to find it. Grrr.

If I need to take something apart to get at it..I can do that. For sure. Change out one valve for another...yep. Can do that too. Just going to need some help on this one. I'd call the dealer and get some help on this as its new but I'd rather do the fix myself as we were going to launch this thing off the pad for the first time tomorrow. Have tested everything thru...minus the water system as its been a tundra here in MN and I wanted to make sure of warmer temps before winterizing. Anyhoo...I'm babbling now and getting away from the task at hand.

I don't believe there are any leaks. No water anywhere.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
I am dewinterizing for the first time. Water works fine when hooked to city water. Fresh water tank is full and all I am getting is lots of air and sputtering when I unhook city water and use only fresh water tank. Need some help. :-)

Do you have a water filter that you removed before winterizing and reinstalled now?
Make sure you didn't put in back upside down.
or

When you winterized did you fill with antifreeze and forgot about the valve at the pump and filter?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

The will not be a water leak when you hook up to city water,normaly. There will not be a water leak when you are sucking water by pump from the Fresh tank. It only takes a SMALL suction leak to cause a problem like you have. Youroo!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Three different ideas. I see no leaks. I rehooked up the city water and turned on and ran for awhile and full water pressure out of every faucet including inside/outside shower and toilet. I turn the city water off and the pump stops running. I turn on the cold water in the sink and water runs out just fine for a minute then it starts sputtering as less and less water comes out. I turn off the cold water in the sink and the pump now continues running even with all faucets off. I went outside and took the screen off the city water intake and pressed on the little valve in there and water spit out with lots of air. I went back in and retried the pump and more air and less water.

This is my first time thru dewinterizing and using a TT like this. When you guys say the flux capacitor isn't fluxing I really am a green horn at this and wont know where to find it. Grrr.

If I need to take something apart to get at it..I can do that. For sure. Change out one valve for another...yep. Can do that too. Just going to need some help on this one. I'd call the dealer and get some help on this as its new but I'd rather do the fix myself as we were going to launch this thing off the pad for the first time tomorrow. Have tested everything thru...minus the water system as its been a tundra here in MN and I wanted to make sure of warmer temps before winterizing. Anyhoo...I'm babbling now and getting away from the task at hand.

I don't believe there are any leaks. No water anywhere.
There may be a 3-way valve close to the pump. One side will be connected to a hose leading to the FW tank, another leads to the pump, the third is connected to a short hose used to "suck" antifreeze from gallon jugs into the pump. If the valve is pointing to the short hose, the tank will be sealed off and the pump will draw air from the open hose. The tank won't leak because the valve is one port open at a time. When you pressurize the system with shore water the "discharge" side of the pump sees the pressure and shuts off. It can't go backwards through the pump either. If you don't have the short hose and instead have a connection on the side, the same principle applies, you must seal off the "auxiliary" suction that sounds likes it open.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

I have a filter but it is not installed right now. Not sure if I need to have it installed to run water thru the system or not.

Small leak... Hmmm. I have let it run for many minutes at a time and cant see even one drop of water. I hear what you are saying I just cant see the evidence of any leak at this point. I will go turn on the pump again and look for water.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
I have a filter but it is not installed right now. Not sure if I need to have it installed to run water thru the system or not.
Do you, at least, have the empty canister in place?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

Hey guys he said NO leaks,this means the filter housing is in place. No need to have element in filter for this test. I have never seen a elemet that you could place upside down? Youroo!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey guys he said NO leaks,this means the filter housing is in place. No need to have element in filter for this test. I have never seen a elemet that you could place upside down? Youroo!!
Nope there the same right up or down.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Ding Ding. We have a winner. Nice call Vince. It was the valve leading into the pump from the winterizing/antifreeze hose being open. I found that and closed it and instant water. I have posted a picture of what it looks like. I'm assuming I open that valve back up when I winterize? I didn't winterize so I had no clue it was there and there is no mention of it in the forest river manual..or at least I don't think there is.

Thank you all for your input! Lots of things to learn. The countdown to launch has been resumed. T-Minus 20 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	30022  

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #14

Another idea
The only other thing that may be bad is the little white back flow valve in the hookup where the city water line attaches. It may not be opening at all to allow the city water to flow in?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #15

Water tank is full so I saw mention of a cut-off valve between the pump and the fresh water tank. Have you looked for this yet to make sure it's open and/or you may have a valve that goes to a winterizing/antifreeze bottle. i have this on my 2013. This would need to be set for closed to the bottle and opened to the FW tank.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:

Small leak... Hmmm. I have let it run for many minutes at a time and cant see even one drop of water. I hear what you are saying I just cant see the evidence of any leak at this point. I will go turn on the pump again and look for water.
Think everyone is sayin- turn on the pump and listen for air leaks your pump is sucking air not water. According to web pages from pump makers, the pump can run for extended periods without water. How bout the pump strainer made with internal screen, it didn't freeze and crack did it? Check all suction tubing, that's the ONLY place air can be pulled into the system.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Ding Ding. We have a winner. Nice call Vince. It was the valve leading into the pump from the winterizing/antifreeze hose being open. I found that and closed it and instant water. I have posted a picture of what it looks like. I'm assuming I open that valve back up when I winterize? I didn't winterize so I had no clue it was there and there is no mention of it in the forest river manual..or at least I don't think there is.

Thank you all for your input! Lots of things to learn. The countdown to launch has been resumed. T-Minus 20 hours.
Ding dong Post #3 said the same thing. Youroo!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Yeah, but in all fairness- Vince's answer was a heck of a lot more descriptive than mine. I was all like, "yeah, flip some valves or something" and Vince was like, "here's exactly what you're looking for"! :-)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #19

Dang it. I did miss it. Sorry. Yes Vince was way more clear but I was far more ignorant 40 minutes earlier so I wasn't ready for your answer yet. So...Vince strolls in after I've had a lifetime of learning...or maybe just over a half hour and wham. Fixed. When I read your post..and reread it I was picking up my daughter from soccer and was pretty distracted too. Distractions and ignorance are not a good mix for me. Thank you guys. I would really appreciate you guys staying close to the forum all weekend as I'm taking it out for the first time and will probably need some help at some point.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Yea but I was writing the same time as you! I just have old curled fingers trouble typing, takes a little longer. Good call!