Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Do we need a new water filter?

I feel rather foolish asking this question, but I really want/need to know the answer. When we first took our new trailer out, it was still fairly cold, and we were camping down south, so we didn't put any water into it until we were in warmer temperatures. Since we were no longer at home, we didn't sanitize the water tank/system as we should have. The water filter WAS installed, and we didn't drink any water from the trailer. We only drank bottled water. We are getting ready for another trip and the fresh water tank and system are being sanitized per the manufacturer's instructions. The question is....do we need a new water filter? Will it be safe, healthwise, to use after having been previously used with an unsanitized system? Two of our grandsons will be traveling with us and we don't want there to be any problems with the water. Does anyone know? I hope to hear back from anyone who has ANY idea of the safety of the water filters and system in the new trailers.
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I would replace it. Most likely it has been sitting in chlorinated water for a while and "should" be OK. They are cheap and no sense taking a chance.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

For the cost of a new filter I would be replacing it. It is cheap insurance for your health.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

You worry too much. Replace the filter for your own peace of mind.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Or don't drink the water from the tank or connection. I don't.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372
Or don't drink the water from the tank or connection. I don't.
Why not ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

I have seen what those tanks are made of and what is in them, left over from construction. I fill empty milk bottles with water from one of my three wells, great water, and take them with us for drinking, cooking and making coffee.
I have a small cattle ranch so that is why I have three wells and when I had the water tested a few years ago the result was that it is excellent water that taste great and is not hard like alot of water around here, SE Texas.
If you go on long trips and are away for a long time you will need a water source to refill them. It has worked well for us. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote