Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Does this look right to you?

2014 V-Lite that I bought last year.

The attached photo is from under the left bathroom sink.

In the photo, there is a slow leak at the yellow circle connection. The other end of the hose is at the red circle. I tightened the hose clamp slightly and the leak stopped but...

Why would this hose be what it is...a braided hose with a standard hose clamp (the only one like it in this area), instead of just a pex hose connected from the green circle (blue pex)? All this PCV in the middle? What purpose would it serve?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E386A0EB-1F1E-457F-8485-F5EB9491628D.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	221510  
timurray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #2

The perils of buying used, that looks like a previous owner's handiwork. Do you still have the factory water filter? If not then this might have been an attempt to bypass it.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
The perils of buying used, that looks like a previous owner's handiwork. Do you still have the factory water filter? If not then this might have been an attempt to bypass it.
No factory water filter (that I know of) in this unit. Should there be one here?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

yes he bypass the water filter LOL
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

I'm the original owner of my coach, and it's built with a combination of hard pex, pex connectors, flex lines, plastic elbows, etc... sometimes it's not about keeping everything the 'same', but also using what's best for certain areas where turns and bends are needed, rather than hard 90degree corners... also some lines need connectors to mate with certain other non-related lines, or water pumps, etc.

Whether the lines have pex or clamps probably doesn't matter, as long as it works.

I just removed my own water pump today, as I saw a slight drip from one of the screws. There are 'store bought' flex lines connected to the water pump. There are similar flex lines going to and from my Anderson 4-way valve, and all these connect to hard pex lines with their own type of pex clamps and plastic connectors.

(you get the picture!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a messy wet bay water line.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	221517  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurray2000 View Post
No factory water filter (that I know of) in this unit. Should there be one here?
Windjammers came with a factory-installed water filter. All Rockwoods do.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

What are the two lines that feed the green circle? If it city water in and pump in, then the pvc between the green and red is very likely a custom replacement of a water filter.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
What are the two lines that feed the green circle? If it city water in and pump in, then the pvc between the green and red is very likely a custom replacement of a water filter.
Yes that’s what they are. I’d like to see what it used to look like. I could put it back to the way it was.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes that’s what they are. I’d like to see what it used to look like. I could put it back to the way it was.
Many people, myself included have taken out the factory filter canister because of leak concerns. Seeing how a catastrophic failure under the sink could quickly become a wet-floor night mare in an out-of-the -way location.

Depending on your situation you can purchase at Walmart filters that screw on the end of your hose and throw away every year or whatever your schedule dictates.

Do a search on this forum for many custom solutions to adding a water filter with parts from big box store...
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
Canadian Member

A previous owner removed the factory-installed water filter housing. You should be able to find screw holes above those lines where the housing used to be mounted. When I removed mine I used a PVC union. Notice that the factory uses PEX crimp rings on the braided flexible hose connections. Sorry the pic turns on its side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4CEB9C66-4962-4779-93FC-E8B2B335543C.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	221523  
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #11

Why? It looks fine, and if it doesn't leak, perfect!
The OEM inline filters are a constant source of frustration IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurray2000 View Post
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #12

If it were me, I wouldn't replace the onboard filter. I use the Camco inline filter and have considered a better external / inline set up that some folks on this forum have; however, since you asked, here's what the onboard filter probably looked like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RC-S-SYSTEM-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	221525  
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
yes he bypass the water filter LOL
Yep.....sure looks like it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Many people, myself included have taken out the factory filter canister because of leak concerns. Seeing how a catastrophic failure under the sink could quickly become a wet-floor night mare in an out-of-the -way location.
Good point. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #15
Canadian Member

The Water Pur FR1 model had a lot of complaints about leaking or the canister falling off. I don't know if the newer generation is the same. The older style CCI model didn't have the leaking issue.

Often the factory installs the filter housing is a very awkward, hard to get to location. That's the only reason I've ever replaced mine. Its much easier to use a whole-house type filter housing outside where you can dump it when packing up and just put it away somewhere with the rest of your potable water stuff.

BTW, those Water Pur filters are pretty decent for performance and are better filters than the less expensive Camco blue torpedo style filters. Generally, you get what you pay for. If you're looking to use a water filter, I suggest doing some reading at the RVWaterFilterStore.com.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #16

Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I'm the original owner of my coach, and it's built with a combination of hard pex, pex connectors, flex lines, plastic elbows, etc... sometimes it's not about keeping everything the 'same', but also using what's best for certain areas where turns and bends are needed, rather than hard 90degree corners... also some lines need connectors to mate with certain other non-related lines, or water pumps, etc.

Whether the lines have pex or clamps probably doesn't matter, as long as it works.

I just removed my own water pump today, as I saw a slight drip from one of the screws. There are 'store bought' flex lines connected to the water pump. There are similar flex lines going to and from my Anderson 4-way valve, and all these connect to hard pex lines with their own type of pex clamps and plastic connectors.

(you get the picture!)
The water pump vibrates. It is connected with flex lines. If it were connected with PEX or PVC, you would hear the drumming throughout the trailer.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #17

V-Lite

That was where the factory water filter was. I have a 2016 V-Lite and that is where mine is. It is a pain to change the filter until you learn the tricks. On mine you need to be a midget to get to it. I cuss it every year. Many people delete it due to the potential leak. The factory PF-1 filter is a little expensive too, like $35.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #18

Wow wow wow

How do you know what feeds what?
Holy mackerel Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

(you get the picture!)
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #19

The flex hoses allow the plumbing components some "flexibility " so that rigid pipe doesnt break upon repeated impact from travel. If all water lines were PVC rigid, eventually something would break. It also allows for service without needing specialty tools and hardware. Most RVs has similar set ups on low pressure water lines. As long as you can stop the leak by tightening a clamp, be diligent on routine maintenance and roll with it.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #20
MCTroy

V nose

The water filter issue has been answered. But hello and welcome to the V Nose team! There is a sub forum of V owners. I hope you enjoy your unit as much as we live our 2015 Windjammer.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote