Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Is your toilet directly over the black tank with a straight shot into the tank or does the pipe have one (or possibly two) 45º ells?

I had a SOB (some other brand) with the two 45's and it was a real bugger to get the toilet to flush the pipe clean.

Solids and paper would catch at one of the ells, causing some backup and then it 'seemed' as though the tank was full when it wasn't. It would start burping and showing some water in the pipe after one day.

I finally cut the pipe and found there had been an EXCESSIVE amount of glue used to join the pipe and elbows and the pipe was nearly closed off.

After repairing, there never was another issue.

I had some concerns on our current model because it too has the 45's in the pipe.
I've not had a single issue with this R/V in over 3 years. When it burps, the black tank really is full.

The toilet is not directly over the tank. There’s at least 1 45 degree bend in it. I can’t see into the tank, that’s for sure. When I look at the pipe in my storage area, it has one visible 45 degree bend in it.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #22

Unfortunately, from my research, most 5th wheels have the angles, not a straight shot to the tank. That's why I recommend the flexible wand, best $25 dollars I've ever spent. Don't know why but a garden hose just doesn't do it.
cfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #23

OK, if quite a lot comes out when you open the dump valves, and you still have water in the pipe without adding any more water or s---, and you have a drop tube (or whatever exactly it is called) with bends in it, the problem almost has to be either in that pipe or the mound that has built up underneath has grown so high that it is blocking the end of the tube. Have you been able to run something flexible down the toilet so that it gets all the way into the black tank?

I'd try either plunging it (very gently) or running a something flexible down the tube to clear the pipe. Nothing other than a clog in the pipe or at the base of the pipe makes any sense.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #24

Make sure

Years ago. we had visitors and one of the ladies used hemmoroid wipes and dropped it down the toilet. it clogged my toilet right now. Make sure no one uses any kind of wipes in those kind of toilets. I had to pull the toilet and take the wipes out of it and it worked like new again. Sounds like the same thing I had going on.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfields View Post
Unfortunately, from my research, most 5th wheels have the angles, not a straight shot to the tank. That's why I recommend the flexible wand, best $25 dollars I've ever spent. Don't know why but a garden hose just doesn't do it.

Is this what you’re referring to?

Camco RV Flexible Swivel Stik with Shutoff Valve- Creates Powerful Cleaning Action that Dislodges and Flushes Stubborn Waste Deposits and Combats Odors (40074) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC..._bmjtEbAKJ03ZS
Old 02-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
OK, if quite a lot comes out when you open the dump valves, and you still have water in the pipe without adding any more water or s---, and you have a drop tube (or whatever exactly it is called) with bends in it, the problem almost has to be either in that pipe or the mound that has built up underneath has grown so high that it is blocking the end of the tube. Have you been able to run something flexible down the toilet so that it gets all the way into the black tank?

I'd try either plunging it (very gently) or running a something flexible down the tube to clear the pipe. Nothing other than a clog in the pipe or at the base of the pipe makes any sense.

Plunging works temporarily. We put a garden hose down there, but I don’t think it hit anything.

I’m suspecting it’s a mound in the tank at this point, so that’s where my efforts are going.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO Bill View Post
Years ago. we had visitors and one of the ladies used hemmoroid wipes and dropped it down the toilet. it clogged my toilet right now. Make sure no one uses any kind of wipes in those kind of toilets. I had to pull the toilet and take the wipes out of it and it worked like new again. Sounds like the same thing I had going on.

Since we’ve only had this rig for two months, it’s possible the previous owner put stuff down there they shouldn’t have. I know for sure that we haven’t.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #28

Interesting problem and discussion. Please let us know what you finally determine the cause to be.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

One of those inexpensive endoscopes/borescopes for a cell phone might give you a better idea of the problem.

They can be had for $10. Throw it away when you are done with it for that price.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
One of those inexpensive endoscopes/borescopes for a cell phone might give you a better idea of the problem.

They can be had for $10. Throw it away when you are done with it for that price.

Will probably look at getting one of these as well.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #31

Well, you could have found why they traded it in.

I still stand by my theory of the wipes in the toilet. I don't mean to sound gross but after a couple of BM's it starts to clog and acting like that. You will have to take it apart and pull the wipes out of it and be glad that they didn't get into the tank. ITS GOING TO GET MESSY!!
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #32

That''s one of them. If you don't have waste in the bowl it's not even that messy. 5 gallon bucket, something to carry everything in, disposable gloves and disinfecting wipes and your all set. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #33

We had this exact problem last year on our Silverback toilet/black tank. The first time it happened I was able to probe the toilet drain with a stiff wire (had a power line marker flag in the back of my truck luckily) and get the water down the drain and working again. The second time it happened I purchased an inexpensive sewer snake and gave the tank a good cleaning from top and bottom. I chased it with a lot of water after, filling the tank with a hose a couple of times.

I think I have it pretty clean now, but we're being a bit more careful about what goes down there!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #34

Sounds like you bought some one elses problem
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #35

Drag a garden hose in there. Alot more pressure than a wand
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #36

The brand I bought was TankTech, it blasts the sludge with a small opening on the end and can snake around corners.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #37
KAS

I tend to park in the same spot for a week or more. Fortunately my black tank is directly under the toilet pipe, so I can see buildup when it occurs. I use one of those orange snow sticks, which is long, thin, and rigid to "stir" the "mound of doom" until it breaks up. The stick is easy to rinse and store. Works every time!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #38

Here’s an update:

I let the tank sit full with water and Happy Camper treatment for 2 days. I dumped the tank today. I bought a flexible cleaning wand and went to work. My wife said it took a while, but it finally ran clear, after a lot of waste and toilet paper came out. I filled and dumped the tank 3 more times until clear water finally ran out of it.

I filled the tank again with water and Happy Camper, and will see what it looks like tomorrow.

If that still doesn’t clear up the issue, I’ll go on the roof and check the vent to see if it’s clogged.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #39

Another option to consider, which may be a bit of a pain, is to fill the black tank up about 25% and take the rig for ride down the road with twists and turns, etc. The sloshing in the tank will help to break if the sediment (mounds). We often times do this with our tanks when breaking down camp.....drop 5 gallons of water with Pine-sol in it and after driving many hours, we dump when we get home. Keeps the tanks clean(er).
Old 02-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Another option to consider, which may be a bit of a pain, is to fill the black tank up about 25% and take the rig for ride down the road with twists and turns, etc. The sloshing in the tank will help to break if the sediment (mounds). We often times do this with our tanks when breaking down camp.....drop 5 gallons of water with Pine-sol in it and after driving many hours, we dump when we get home. Keeps the tanks clean(er).

Right now that isn’t an option. I have to get a new brake controller put in the truck before I can tow it.

Tags
dometic