RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
My trailer is 2 years old and has this toilet. My trailer has been smelling the whole time and I figured it was a black tank seal or vent problem. I pulled it out and the back of the toilet was full of brown smelly liquid. Crazy Iíve been running circles for years, never knowing why my trailer always smelled.
Isnít this forum a great place to find information? I hope you called Dometic for an upgraded toilet. Boy, you must feel good about your RV now. Sewer smell makes you not like your RV... enjoy.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:04 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Isnít this forum a great place to find information? I hope you called Dometic for an upgraded toilet. Boy, you must feel good about your RV now. Sewer smell makes you not like your RV... enjoy.

Actually I just removed the toilet this morning. I will call though, thanks for the advice. Man all that nasty brown water splashed on me too when I moved the toilet out of the bathroom.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Actually I just removed the toilet this morning. I will call though, thanks for the advice. Man all that nasty brown water splashed on me too when I moved the toilet out of the bathroom.
Get the serial number off the label on the side before you trash it..Dometic will want that.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 02-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Get the serial number off the label on the side before you trash it..Dometic will want that.

Will do. Thanks
Old 02-15-2020, 01:59 AM   #345

I have such an acute sense of smell, it drive me insane immediately. If I had not figured out the issue and corrected immediately, I would have given up camping and been wasting money on a camper I would not use and could not sell. So sorry you dealt with it for so long.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzicarey View Post
I have such an acute sense of smell, it drive me insane immediately. If I had not figured out the issue and corrected immediately, I would have given up camping and been wasting money on a camper I would not use and could not sell. So sorry you dealt with it for so long.

Yeah the smell was killing my wife and I. It was embarrassing if people came in our trailer. I never dreamed there was a hidden compartment full of basically sewage hidden behind the toilet. I was thinking it was the black tank. I even tried spraying dog urine enzyme cleaner and no luck. Hereís a couple pics of the nasty compartment. These were also taken after half of it dumped on me when I removed the toilet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2256.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	223423Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2255.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	223424
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #347

That is insane. I'm so glad we caught and corrected the issue so quickly.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #348

Had the exact same thing in my 2020 Freelander! Replaced the Dometic 301 with a 311 last night. Lots of liquid waste stuck in the back section! Gross! Smelled like a porta potty
sa1jzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1jzm View Post
Had the exact same thing in my 2020 Freelander! Replaced the Dometic 301 with a 311 last night. Lots of liquid waste stuck in the back section! Gross! Smelled like a porta potty
That is just inexcusable. I had that problem almost a year ago which I posted here. At that time Dometic told me on the phone that they identified the problem and fixed it but that there was still some bad inventory out there.
But clearly they havenít fixed it... or they have tons of old inventory. So why didnít they do a recall on the toilets? I guess Itís cheaper to only replace them when someone complains. Great business plan.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #350

I emailed them earlier this week and they told me I would have to take the toilet to a dealer and it would be replaced if faulty and within a 2 year period. I just didn't feel like arguing and bought a 310. I measured before I ordered the 310 and it will fit. Some days I will argue over a dollar. Today I let them hose me for a lot more than that but it was my decision not to argue. I was just thrilled we discovered the source of the odor.

This would make a great class action lawsuit if I still practiced law.

2019 Forest River Rockwood 2902WS 33'9"
Previous owner of Jayco Whitehawk DSRL and Jayco Jay Feather.
Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
I emailed them earlier this week and they told me I would have to take the toilet to a dealer and it would be replaced if faulty and within a 2 year period. I just didn't feel like arguing and bought a 310. I measured before I ordered the 310 and it will fit. Some days I will argue over a dollar. Today I let them hose me for a lot more than that but it was my decision not to argue. I was just thrilled we discovered the source of the odor.

This would make a great class action lawsuit if I still practiced law.
Wait.. so you told them the same thing everyone else on this thread said... that the inside of the toilet was holding waste? Or something else? Is yours older then two years? I would have argued. There is no way a dealer would need to see it. It’s Dometics warranty... not the dealer. I called and they sent me a 310 for the upgrade fee.
But on the other hand maybe they are getting so many calls for replacements that now they want verification.
Either way this wouldn’t go anywhere as a class action. They know the issue and will fix it.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5fe View Post
Wait.. so you told them the same thing everyone else on this thread said... that the inside of the toilet was holding waste? Or something else? Is yours older then two years? I would have argued. There is no way a dealer would need to see it. It’s Dometics warranty... not the dealer. I called and they sent me a 310 for the upgrade fee.
But on the other hand maybe they are getting so many calls for replacements that now they want verification.
Either way this wouldn’t go anywhere as a class action. They know the issue and will fix it.

Yes, I told them. I got a follow up email from a different person saying it had to go to the dealer. We purchased the 2902WS Forest River in February of 2019 brand new.

I'm drafting a letter to the consumer complaint division of the Indiana Attorney General's office.

I actually agree with you that it is their problem not the dealer. I just decided I did not want to fight with them. As a retired lawyer you have to understand what an unusual moment this truly is.....that and the wife urged me to move on.

2019 Forest River Rockwood 2902WS 33'9"
Previous owner of Jayco Whitehawk DSRL and Jayco Jay Feather.
Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
Yes, I told them. I got a follow up email from a different person saying it had to go to the dealer. We purchased the 2902WS Forest River in February of 2019 brand new.

I'm drafting a letter to the consumer complaint division of the Indiana Attorney General's office.

I actually agree with you that it is their problem not the dealer. I just decided I did not want to fight with them. As a retired lawyer you have to understand what an unusual moment this truly is.....that and the wife urged me to move on.

That urge to litigate just never dies out at retirement, does it.

I have no less than four lawyers in my family, past and present. One actually quite famous.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #354

As I read about the Dometic 300 issues I gather that the problem came from a manufacturing flaw. A problem Dometic is aware of and I'm guessing one that could be remedied at the factory.

This brings the question "when did Dometic become aware of the issue" and have they taken corrective action.

I'm wondering how many defective toilets there were (and possibly still are) in the supply chain.

I do know that I haven't had an issue with mine that was probably manufactured in late 2016 to early 2017 as my Microlite was built Feb-Mar of 2017 as a 2018.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
As I read about the Dometic 300 issues I gather that the problem came from a manufacturing flaw. A problem Dometic is aware of and I'm guessing one that could be remedied at the factory.

This brings the question "when did Dometic become aware of the issue" and have they taken corrective action.

I'm wondering how many defective toilets there were (and possibly still are) in the supply chain.

I do know that I haven't had an issue with mine that was probably manufactured in late 2016 to early 2017 as my Microlite was built Feb-Mar of 2017 as a 2018.
My 300 was in a 2012-13 Rockwood 2604WS. That was 7 years ago and they are still showing up in new units. I donít get it?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #356

Urine smell

We are having a similar problem on our 2020 Microlite 25BDS. Camper smells like urine. It id coming from the toilet. I am confused because if it were a gasket I would expect a septic tank smell. It just smells like pee. No cleaner will help. Could it still be the Dometic 300 issue?
freetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetogo View Post
We are having a similar problem on our 2020 Microlite 25BDS. Camper smells like urine. It id coming from the toilet. I am confused because if it were a gasket I would expect a septic tank smell. It just smells like pee. No cleaner will help. Could it still be the Dometic 300 issue?
Yes, it is not a gasket between the toilet and the holding tank. It is a gasket between the top of the toilet and the base of the toilet. Urine and water gets trapped in the base of the toilet....
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #358
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Yes. The 2020 Rockwood we bought last summer had a defective toilet and Dometic replaced it when I contacted them. I did opt for the upgrade they offered and am happy I did that.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #359

Thanks for the quick responses. I have an appointment for the slide roof recall on Wed. If I call dealer today maybe they can fix this as well.
freetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #360

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. I have an appointment for the slide roof recall on Wed. If I call dealer today maybe they can fix this as well.
Donít have them fix it.... if you have a model 300 do yourself a favor and upgrade to the 310 at least. Itís a porcelain bowl. Much nicer and they donít have that stinky problem.
Dometic should give it to you for the upgrade price. For me it was. $50 bucks. But they may have gone up a little.