Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #21

Well Dometic was right and sent out 2 new 310 models and they arrived today, 1 day shipping. Installed both in about 20 minutes. So far so good, no more odor.. The one leaky 300 has probably 12oz of nasty pee water inside the bowl sitting there. Anyways good customer service for Dometic!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbconway View Post
We've been plagued by toilet odor since buying our new 21FBRS last November. Even a return to the dealer didn't fix it. Today I decided to pull the toilet (Dometic model 300) myself to see if the floor seal was bad. The floor seal looked fine, but when I turned the toilet over, sewage came out. It was trapped between the bowl and the outer housing, just as you found. Placing it upside down, I filled the discharge pipe with water and watched as it leaked out of the middle where the two pieces of housing are joined. Bad gasket -- the one which is not user replaceable. Returned it to the dealer today. Hopefully will get a replacement tomorrow.
Having same issue since returning from weekend trip. Will contact Dometic tomorrow.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Well Dometic was right and sent out 2 new 310 models and they arrived today, 1 day shipping. Installed both in about 20 minutes. So far so good, no more odor.. The one leaky 300 has probably 12oz of nasty pee water inside the bowl sitting there. Anyways good customer service for Dometic!

Dometic is doing the same for me. How difficult is it to replace the toilet? I'm not certain if the crimped style hose clamps are reusable?

John
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #24

Easy 2 -7/16 nuts and the screw on water connection in the back. They are the same between the 300/310 models.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Dometic is doing the same for me. How difficult is it to replace the toilet? I'm not certain if the crimped style hose clamps are reusable?

John
Just FYI- Dometic also gives the option of having the toilet sent to a service place and letting them do it. I had to have a toilet replaced (different problem) and they gladly gave me the info for a local RV service place. I had to contact the RV service place to setup the appointment, but it was no money out of my pocket.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #26

As mentioned above, Dometic sent me a 310. I just now came from the FR dealer who installed it no charge. When he took the 300 out, sewage spilled out of the back of the toilet. The smell is gone!!!

CASE CLOSED.........again.
2004 F350 TD LOADED!
tperk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #27

My 310 is scheduled to arrive Monday. Just in time for a short camping trip on Tuesday and Wednesday! Removed the old 300 about an hour ago and found same as everyone else. About a half a cup of urine came out from somewhere and it was stinky!!

John
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #28

How do I know if I have the 300 vs the 310? I get smell in the bathroom that just doesn't go away and I never run the fan while flushing. Also, is Dometic replacing these without complaint or will I have to argue with the?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
How do I know if I have the 300 vs the 310? I get smell in the bathroom that just doesn't go away and I never run the fan while flushing. Also, is Dometic replacing these without complaint or will I have to argue with the?
The model # and serial # are on a sticker on the base behind the foot flush. It will tell you there what kind you have. The 300 is all plastic, the 310 has the porcelain bowl. I had no issues with Dometic on the warranty. In fact it seemed so easy, I thought it was too good to be true. They did follow through as stated and so far their customer service has been great.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
aka Windjammer2012

Speaking of toilets in general. Our Windjammer came with a Thetford toilet (don't recall model). At 4 am one morning my DW woke me up screaming that the toilet broke and she couldn't stop it from flushing. It ended up being the foot flush just fell off the side of the toilet. I have had so many problems with the cheap junk FR uses in these expensive units. I installed a Dometic 310, on my own with no help from FR, Thetford or the dealer, and because of past experience with Dometic products.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Easy 2 -7/16 nuts and the screw on water connection in the back. They are the same between the 300/310 models.
X2 Picked up my replacement toilet (a 310 for the stinky 300) today from my dealer and it installed easily. No need to change the baseplate or the water supply fitting. The hardest part was getting a wrench on the nut just below the pedal, since I couldn't see what I was doing and had to go by feel. The dealer was cooperative and Dometic responded quickly and without any hassle. Glad I could get this all accomplished before leaving for the rally in Goshen.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #32

Here's a question. If you have a 300 and haven't experienced problems but are afraid and don't want to wait until problems develop is there anything you can do to get a 310 replacement or do you have to wait for the dreaded smell?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperk100 View Post

This is my fifth RV. For the past twenty years I have only rarely used any chemicals. I have never had an odor problem. This odor is very strong. This has nothing to do with how I maintain the system. Something is defective. I do always have water in the black tank.
I think tis those big fish... did you misplace one? LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJammer2012 View Post
Speaking of toilets in general. Our Windjammer came with a Thetford toilet (don't recall model). At 4 am one morning my DW woke me up screaming that the toilet broke and she couldn't stop it from flushing. It ended up being the foot flush just fell off the side of the toilet. I have had so many problems with the cheap junk FR uses in these expensive units. I installed a Dometic 310, on my own with no help from FR, Thetford or the dealer, and because of past experience with Dometic products.
FR sells price pointunits and they are not expensive for their size. In most cases the cheap junk is the same from mfg to mfg, and we consumer just lap it up. Not many alternatives out there that are better, that I have seen, at least in the current model years. Some of the stuff in the older models from all mfg's were better like 2008 and before, but those are getting older now.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPilot View Post
Here's a question. If you have a 300 and haven't experienced problems but are afraid and don't want to wait until problems develop is there anything you can do to get a 310 replacement or do you have to wait for the dreaded smell?
Dometic did send me 2 toilets and I only had an issue with 1 of the bathrooms. I asked the same question regarding the one bathroom that isn't having an issue and they said they would just send out 2 anyways.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
rip

Quote:
I haven't had issues with the toilet in my Windjammer, but your comments raised my curiosity, so I went out and looked to see which brand I have... turns out my Windjammer has a Dometic 310.

I'm new to Windjammer and Forest River, you mention "many problems with the cheap junk FR uses in these expensive units" so now I'm wondering... what other problems beside toilet I may need to be looking for?
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbconway View Post
X2 Picked up my replacement toilet (a 310 for the stinky 300) today from my dealer and it installed easily. No need to change the baseplate or the water supply fitting. The hardest part was getting a wrench on the nut just below the pedal, since I couldn't see what I was doing and had to go by feel. The dealer was cooperative and Dometic responded quickly and without any hassle. Glad I could get this all accomplished before leaving for the rally in Goshen.
It looks like we did the same job today. All went well with the replacement and I am impressed with Dometic service.

John
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
aka Windjammer2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I haven't had issues with the toilet in my Windjammer, but your comments raised my curiosity, so I went out and looked to see which brand I have... turns out my Windjammer has a Dometic 310.

I'm new to Windjammer and Forest River, you mention "many problems with the cheap junk FR uses in these expensive units" so now I'm wondering... what other problems beside toilet I may need to be looking for?
FR may have changed brands of toilets from my 2012 to your 2013...good for you.
Another major issue is the cheap Chinese load range C tires...come on folks lets buy American and use a tire that is adequate to carry the weight of an average loaded trailer. I will be going to a D or E tire before the next lomg trip.
Personal preference...no backup lights! Not so much to light up the area behind the trailer but for SAFETY! Imagine yourself behind a trailer backing up with no way to indicate the trailer is headed towards you. My Artic Fox 29V had backup lights and came in handy many times like when my DW is behind the trailer directing me she can tell at a quick glance if the trailer is coming towards her or not. BTW, we use walkie talkies for that task.
Manufacturers just cutting corners for a few dollars and putting a $36,000 price tag on them.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #39

Does anyone have a contact number for Dometic? I called the number on their website but it directs me to the nearest service center. Should I follow through with that and talk to someone there or is there a better number to call?

Thank.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #40

Quote:
FR may have changed brands of toilets from my 2012 to your 2013...good for you.
Another major issue is the cheap Chinese load range C tires...come on folks lets buy American and use a tire that is adequate to carry the weight of an average loaded trailer. I will be going to a D or E tire before the next lomg trip.
Personal preference...no backup lights! Not so much to light up the area behind the trailer but for SAFETY! Imagine yourself behind a trailer backing up with no way to indicate the trailer is headed towards you. My Artic Fox 29V had backup lights and came in handy many times like when my DW is behind the trailer directing me she can tell at a quick glance if the trailer is coming towards her or not. BTW, we use walkie talkies for that task.
Manufacturers just cutting corners for a few dollars and putting a $36,000 price tag on them.
Back up lights are an idea........ Never seen a trailer with them but there may be some out there.......might be an idea there I'm thinking of putting a camera back there but too many other projects right now..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote