RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Dometic toilet burping

Working on dad's 5th wheel Dometic toilet. Recently replaced original toilet with new 310. All well for abt two weeks. Now, on about half of the flushes, it burps, which has unpleasant consequences!

Have read many blogs on this issue and have done the following, on the advice of said blogs:

Tank flushed multiple times till water runs clear;
Gallons of hot, boiling water poured down toilet;
Ran snake and water sprayer down toilet;
Ran water down the roof vent pipe, with no evidence of it filling up;
Can hear water running in that pipe from on the roof, when toilet flushed;
Snaked the dump line;
Ran the black tank flush line for over an hour, multiple times.

Only thing one person mentioned was possibly a defective anti-siphon valve, which I can't see how that could have any relationship to the burp, based on what the purpose of that valve is.

I'm out of ideas! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post
Working on dad's 5th wheel Dometic toilet. Recently replaced original toilet with new 310. All well for abt two weeks. Now, on about half of the flushes, it burps, which has unpleasant consequences!

Have read many blogs on this issue and have done the following, on the advice of said blogs:

Tank flushed multiple times till water runs clear;
Gallons of hot, boiling water poured down toilet;
Ran snake and water sprayer down toilet;
Ran water down the roof vent pipe, with no evidence of it filling up;
Can hear water running in that pipe from on the roof, when toilet flushed;
Snaked the dump line;
Ran the black tank flush line for over an hour, multiple times.

Only thing one person mentioned was possibly a defective anti-siphon valve, which I can't see how that could have any relationship to the burp, based on what the purpose of that valve is.

I'm out of ideas! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
One thing I thought I remember reading as a possible cause was the vent pipe being stuck too far down into the black tank. Burping would begin with the tank partially full. This would be a manufacturing defect. However you would expect the burping would have always been present in the RV if that was the case, unless somehow the new toilet is making it worse.

Here is one thread of several discussing that scenario.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...bh-214161.html
Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #3

If this is happening on about half the flushes does that mean even the first flushes after emptying the tank? Or only as the tank fills up and nears full.

If happening with a near empty tank I would not suspect the vent pipe.

It could well just be a characteristic of the toilet if one is not holding the dump lever down long enough for the bowl contents to clear the dump tube that enters the tank. Then next flush might add to the "mass" and either cause the "burp".

Just guessing that it might be a product of one being really stingy with flush water on previous flushes.

Agree that it is strange because my new 310 just works like the old 300 but without making me feel like i'm on a cheap seat.

Rather than just running water down the vent you might want to try running a snake down and make sure that the in-tank end is absolutely clear of anything that might be blocking it, even partially.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Burping toilet

Seems it has no pattern. Can burp once or twice, then maybe next couple times, not.

Will try running the snake down the vent pipe.

Is there any relationship possible with the Anti-Siphon valve and this issue? I can't see how there could be, but one blogger mentioned it as a possible factor.
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic