Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Unhappy Dometic Toilet Noisy Seat

New MicroLite 23. Our 4th camper.
Everything is pretty cool EXCEPT: The Dometic toilet seat is extremely noisy (when you're sitting on it).
Any shift of weight (necessary) produces very LOUD scraping and cracking noises. It isn't broken but where the seat touches the bowl is where the noise is coming from
Does Dometic make different seats that are available or is there some kind of padding/gasketing that would help.
HELP! I'm sure the neighboring campers can even hear it.
Hoss
thehossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

Yes, they make a wooden seat that is a direct replacement; white or beige. Much like a home toilet seat & completely quiet. Also more comfortable than the plastic.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

dometic toilet seat

We experienced that same problem with the original toilet a dometic model # 300 toilet.I found that it's a completely plastic toilet that weighs about 2 ounces,Replacing it with a model #310 or model #320 with a wooden seat is what you want.No more wondering if the thing is going to bust when you sit on it.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

I'd be interested in links to replacement seats! Beige, I suppose. Or what model do they put in the 23lb or 2306?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I'd be interested in links to replacement seats! Beige, I suppose. Or what model do they put in the 23lb or 2306?
Can get them on Amazon or Camping World (got mine @C/W- about $30)
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

We replaced ours with the heavy duty soft seat from Lowes. Less than $20.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

Our Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehossman View Post
Everything is pretty cool EXCEPT: The Dometic toilet seat is extremely noisy (when you're sitting on it).
Any shift of weight (necessary) produces very LOUD scraping and cracking noises. It isn't broken but where the seat touches the bowl is where the noise is coming from
Does Dometic make different seats that are available or is there some kind of padding/gasketing that would help.
Hoss
Eventually the plastic on the underside of the seat will begin to chip off as well--nobody can sit still enough on this toilet and maintain some sense of quietude. Had the same problem with the toilet in both campers we have owned. It was definitely frustrating when either DW or I was using the facilities at night and the creaking and scraping would wake the other up.
I eventually came resolved the problem by buying about a foot of hydraulic fluid hose for a couple $s. I cut the hose into 1 1/2 inch pieces and sliced each down one side, then slipped a piece on each of the vertical plastic pieces of the underside of the seat. The hydraulic hose has enough grip that it does not fall off when the seat is lifted, even after about a 65 nights of camping.
The color coordinates nicely with the seal in the toilet and solves the problem nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-21 20.11.46.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	135399   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-21 20.12.20.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	135400  

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #8

Nice fix. I was pondering some athletic tape or something.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

Your mod is creative and appreciated but the fact that the fix also "coordinates" with the bowl seal just puts it in it's own Designer Award category!
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Eventually the plastic on the underside of the seat will begin to chip off as well--nobody can sit still enough on this toilet and maintain some sense of quietude. Had the same problem with the toilet in both campers we have owned. It was definitely frustrating when either DW or I was using the facilities at night and the creaking and scraping would wake the other up.
I eventually came resolved the problem by buying about a foot of hydraulic fluid hose for a couple $s. I cut the hose into 1 1/2 inch pieces and sliced each down one side, then slipped a piece on each of the vertical plastic pieces of the underside of the seat. The hydraulic hose has enough grip that it does not fall off when the seat is lifted, even after about a 65 nights of camping.
The color coordinates nicely with the seal in the toilet and solves the problem nicely.
Great mod! I'll definitely be looking at doing this. Do you recall the diameter of the hose you used?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Fast, Easy, Cheap and EFFECTIVE.................I LOVE IT!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #12

Some edging from McMaster would work nice too. I'll be super happy to have it be quiet!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #13

1/2" Outside Diameter hydraulic hose. I had previously tried clear plastic tubing, but found that it wasn't stiff enough to grip the plastic tightly and lost several pieces down the drain

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #14

Thanks Rock

Will definitely try THAT!! I even have some hose I use to seal the edges of our retractable screen door at home. Very creative!

Thanx again,
Hoss
thehossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehossman View Post
Hoss
Really? This is a problem? Turn the TV up.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #16

That is a great mod. I will definitely be doing this before our first trip. Thanks for sharing this.

Ron
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

Yep. This is a real problem. Especially since we have people come to visit and when someone's wife comes, it is rather "indelicate". If you have the 300 model, the whole thing is plastic and creaks badly. I replaced ours with the 320. Takes longer to get it out of the box than the actual install. Couple of things:
  1. Make sure you get the shape you want- oval or round. I meant to get round but got oval by mistake.
  2. I'd get the "slow close lid". The lid that comes with it is nice- but heavy and can slam pretty hard.

Best upgrade we've done.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #18

I replaced ours with a wooden seat,,, then replaced the bumpers with rubber bumpers to keep it from sliding !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #19

I'll be getting some rubber edge molding. Excited to have a silent potty. 1st world problem, yes, but it's an easy fix.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
We experienced that same problem with the original toilet a dometic model # 300 toilet.I found that it's a completely plastic toilet that weighs about 2 ounces,Replacing it with a model #310 or model #320 with a wooden seat is what you want.No more wondering if the thing is going to bust when you sit on it.
Simple answer is don't wiggle your butt.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic