Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Drain water filter?

Just got home from our 4th weekend trip in our 3011ds. I drained the hot water tank, and the low point drain. The thought hit me that I don't think I've heard anyone mention draining the whole-house water filter between trips. Mine is hidden in a closed compartment I the back of a basement compartment. I would assume that it's not a good idea to leave standing water in one of those for any length of time. I removed it , and water poured into the compartment. I thought I'd drained everything I knew how.
Any suggestions for this newbie?

Forester 3011DS
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

I cut a gal jug about six inches from bottom and put it under my filter on Wildcat 30lswb and it catches any extra when the filter is unscrewed. I drained my system as well on after my last outing(removed filter) used air (20psi) at the city fill port and went from furthest to closest after draining the hot water tank and flipping bypass valve. Just what I do and hope it helps.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Don't have a water filter but draining the water heater or lines more than annually for winterizing it's not necessary.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

As you have found out they are a pain to deal with, I completely removed the one in our trailer and use an external one.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the input guys! Great idea using the milk jug. That compartment isn't the easiest place to access. This forum is great for getting advice. Looking forward to the time that I can be of help to others!

Forester 3011DS
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Pappy & Mawmaw

Cool water filter a pain in the neck/back

Our filter is also way back in the worse place some evil installer could put it.
After using our new FR trailer for 6 months, it dawned on me that I had never drained no replaced the filter. Not being a “ newbie”, I figured it time to deal with it. Well after removing everything and the fake wall between the compartment and the water heater/ waster filter area, I removed the filter container which did spill some. The filter was dirty, grimy and smelled bad! I have since made it a routine punishment to remove and drain after every trip. What’s a pain!

Has anyone tried to tap a drain valve with a small hose attached to the bottom of the plastic container? Seems like it would work. Or can you buy a container already improved to drain with a valve?

HELP!
Pappy817
Pappy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have seen a household type filter canister with a drain valve but it wasn't cheap.

If you have thoughts of removing your current filter and replacing it with something else, (or modifying it) why not simply remove it from the hard to access location, join the lines together and use it outside at the spigot where it will filter all the water you use (or put in your fresh tank) and can easily be serviced?

There are hundreds of posts where those of us have done this very thing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water, water filter