Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #21
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We leave our black water and bathroom grey water closed ... flush our system weekly or more often if needed ... black tank first, then grey to clean out the lines ...
Both dealerships we bought our 5ths from have advised this, including campground owners.
Dont know anyone here, seasonal park, that doesn't do it this way.
Perhaps in Canada. But in Arizona most leave the grey open at seasonal sites. With showers, dishes, etc. the grey will fill in just a few days. That would mean lots of dumping of the grey.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #22
Another adventure awaits!

Thank you
Old 08-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Perhaps in Canada. But in Arizona most leave the grey open at seasonal sites. With showers, dishes, etc. the grey will fill in just a few days. That would mean lots of dumping of the grey.
Do you close the grey a day or so before dumping the black to rinse the lines?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #24

Hello ... have a separate grey for kitchen and that we always leave open ...
Old 08-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #25

No ... run the water into black tank for about 20 secs ... turn off water ... empty the tank ... close it up ... run more water into it for about 20 secs ... turn off water ... open it up and let it run ... close the black, open up the grey ... when its empty, close it up ... go in trailer ... fill toilet 3/4 full with water and add the blue/pink/orange stuff, whatever colour you use and flush ... that's the way we were shown by an old timer when we started out and it seems to work fine
Old 08-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #26
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Do you close the grey a day or so before dumping the black to rinse the lines?
Yes, we do close the grey the night before dumping the black tank.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #27

For sure
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #28

Sorry ... I should have qualified the no ... our bathroom grey stays closed until we drain black and bathroom grey tanks ...
Old 08-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
So do you leave the grey tank valve open? When I camp with full hookups, I keep it closed, but only so that I can rinse out the black tank after I dump that.
It also helps prevent sewer gasses from flowing backwards into the RV.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #30

He obviously has no idea what the hell he is talking about. If you leave your black tank open you will eventually have a full tank of crap and I have heard that sometime means a new tank. I am seasonal for 5 months and
My black tank stays closed until
I dump. I do leave my grey tank open until
The night before I dump so I can flush the lines out.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #31

Agree on the closed valve. Problem with not moving is the sensors get a little plugged. I watch the sensors. I have a flush valve on the black tank and I wished they would have put on on the grey tank.
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #32
Senior Gold Member

Don’t do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross0547 View Post
Hi Everyone!
We have a Chaparral 5th Wheel and since COVID hit have been stationary at a seasonal site in an RV park. A plumber told us always to leave the black water valve OPEN since we are not moving and hooked up to an outside holding tank at risk of sedimentation. Is this correct? I thought that the onboard holding tank (In the RV, that is) needs to have lots of water and a good "head" to move everything through, esp. solids. Any thoughts in this?
This is not recommended by many RV’ERS best to fill it up even with extra water and then dump and flush well
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #33

That’s the plumbers way of making money. You’ll have your system plugged with shat in no time
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
The plumber would have most RV’s plugged solid in a week or two. Keep the tank closed until full, then dump it and reclose it.

I have a guy across the street from me who says he keeps his open all the time and it is fine. The only thing I can think of is that his drain is pretty much straight under the toilet so everything drops right down the drain line as soon as it is flushed, most campers won’t work that way.
Money2Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #34

No most leave vslves closed as to have grey water to flush the hose out after dumping black tank
Money2Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross0547 View Post
Hi Everyone!
We have a Chaparral 5th Wheel and since COVID hit have been stationary at a seasonal site in an RV park. A plumber told us always to leave the black water valve OPEN since we are not moving and hooked up to an outside holding tank at risk of sedimentation. Is this correct? I thought that the onboard holding tank (In the RV, that is) needs to have lots of water and a good "head" to move everything through, esp. solids. Any thoughts in this?
Your plumber obviously does not own an rv. Your holding tank is just like a septic tank at home. Let it fill then drain. If you are going to let the RV set for some time then drain and flus real good the put your treatment in the toilet and flust it with two - four full toilet flushes. Fill the toilet all they wand flush.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #36

HESN22 Check put Drain Masters in Hollister, CA
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #37

Never leave it open.

Been a seasonal camper for many years.
1. Since there is no trap in a camper toilet, if you keep the black tank valve (BTV) open, that is a direct open line to let sewer gasses into your camper. This is unhealthy and it stinks.

2. If the BTV is left open, the liquid will drain off but the solids will not. Eventually you will end up with the dreaded “poop pyramid” in your tank.

The gray tank is different, in that your camper’s sinks and showers have traps like you have in your house to prevent sewer gasses from entering your camper or house.
-In most cases- it’s okay to leave your the gray tank valves open especially if your camper is equipped with a black tank flush. Why is that you ask? If your camper does not have a black tank flush, you may want to think about keeping the gray tank valves closed until you drain your black tanks. When emptying the tanks it’s usually best to open the black followed by the gray, that way the grey water will assist in moving “things” along.
John816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #38

Well... he is a plumber... a con artist to help his craft as well it seems! Bet he has lots of business from those that bought his line!
JerryHatfield61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Keep valve close until ready to dump with plenty of water.
Yes! It is possible to get a sewer smell come up from the ground if you don't. Most RV's do better if you drain when your tanks are 3/4 full or more.
TMegelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHatfield61 View Post
Well... he is a plumber...
So…what do you do for a living?

Bruce

Tags
black, black water, drain, water