RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Drip, drip, drip from showerhead

I replaced my stock item shower head in my RPOD with an Oxygenics Spa head. There is a "smart" mechanism inside the head that is supposed to keep the water from dripping when the water is deactivated in the showerhead, but it still leaks out as long as the faucets are open. Is there an on/off finger operated valve that I can install where the hose connects to the faucet base to eliminate this headache and the inconsistent temperatures of the water when I reactivate the showerhead?

Craig-retired Teacher o/t Blind
Carol-retired Legal Administrative assistant
Spot and Sam-the lovable miscreants
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Maybe I donít understand your problem.....
The dripping you mention is normal operation when you use the ďmiserĒ button at the base of the Oygenics shower head.
It will never stop the water completely.
It is designed to conserve water while you lather, and keep the water temperature in check to what youíve set.
The alternative would be to open both the hot and cold taps again, and HOPE you donít scald or freeze yourself.

Just sayiní.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig and Carol View Post
I replaced my stock item shower head in my RPOD with an Oxygenics Spa head. There is a "smart" mechanism inside the head that is supposed to keep the water from dripping when the water is deactivated in the showerhead, but it still leaks out as long as the faucets are open. Is there an on/off finger operated valve that I can install where the hose connects to the faucet base to eliminate this headache and the inconsistent temperatures of the water when I reactivate the showerhead?
Yes, it's called a shower hose shut off valve.
Available on Amazon and lots of other places including the big box stores. Fits between the shower valve and the hose. Shuts off flow completely if that's what you are really after.

https://www.amazon.com/K1140B-2-Show.../dp/B00JQDKTUS

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

You may need to be more specific about the exact model showerhead you have. I looked at the RV BodySpa product page and it even has a demo animation that shows the flow going from full on to the trickle when you press the pause button. That’s how it’s designed. I guess I don’t understand the problem.

I thought the trickling pause is supposed to reduce the temperature shock problem when you turn the water back on, not create it

https://oxygenics.com/products/bodyspa-rv/
Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #5

every rv i have owned doesn't keep temp constant when you pause flow. its not that disturbing. it only lasts a second or 2.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
You may need to be more specific about the exact model showerhead you have. I looked at the RV BodySpa product page and it even has a demo animation that shows the flow going from full on to the trickle when you press the pause button. Thatís how itís designed. I guess I donít understand the problem.

I thought the trickling pause is supposed to reduce the temperature shock problem when you turn the water back on, not create it

https://oxygenics.com/products/bodyspa-rv/
I read somewhere over the last few years that the low flow/dribble was to prevent damage in the piping/hose between the shutoff valve on the wand and actual hot/cold valves. Water trapped between the two, it was explained, could expand and cause damage. Probably more of an issue in a shower using hard pipe rather than a hose but that was the explaination.

For me It's never a problem. My showers are short and once the hot/cold valves are off no water dribbles. As for a second or two of cooler water? Hey, it's called camping and when I was tent camping the water for bathing was a heck of a lot colder

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Dribble is normal and intentional. I am putting the Body Spa shower head in this Spring and will be using one of the complete shut off valves inline mentioned above in as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #8

I bought an Oxygenics because it does have the dribble when you pause the water flow. The previous shower head didn’t do that and when you restarted the water flow it was too hot.

Strange, my old tt didn’t scald when restarting water flow.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

I installed an Oxygenics and find it far preferable to the OEM unit. It provides increased velocity making it feel like I have more pressure at the showerhead even though there were no changes to the pump.
As a matter of personal preference I happen to like the warm trickle dripping down my back while I lather.
The OEM unit tended to scald when restarting the flow via its full-shut-off valve, while the Oxygenics keeps the temperature constant when I turn the flow back on, as advertised.
I didn't like it as much at first as I do now, because the temperature still seemed to vary when restarting the flow. Via trial and error I discovered that if I turn the hot water on full stream and adjust the overall temperature using the cold valve, the unit does, indeed, keep the water temperature steady during the trickle phase.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Dribble is normal and intentional.
Itís only normal as we get older, but I assure you......itís not intentional!

YMMV.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #11

All shower heads dribble, including those at home. They are made that way to remind you not leave the hot and cold valves on. The shower head valve is not made to be a replacement for turning off the hot and cold valve stems at the end of your shower.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
It’s only normal as we get older, but I assure you......it’s not intentional!

YMMV.
You really should get a doctors opinion.

When I was young I was told if you shake it more twice your playing with it. Now days, it's known as trying to keep your underwear dry.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #13

TY

Thanks all. Appreciate the collect wisdom. Our Oxygenics is controlled at the showerhead via rotation to two different flow patterns and a pause. As a relative newbie at this, I thought there was a problem with the drip on pause; but I have learned from y'all that it is what it is.

Craig-retired Teacher o/t Blind
Carol-retired Legal Administrative assistant
Spot and Sam-the lovable miscreants
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #14
D W

Yup, as others have stated, that's the way that shower head is made. As long as it doesn't drip, drip, drip when the faucet is turned off, I'm not the least bit concerned.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower