Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Drip under bathroom floor

We have a 2016 Cherokee 274VFK trailer. In the past week we have had a strange drip under the bathroom floor near the heat vent. I say strange because the only time we hear it is when the heat is on and for a short period when it cycles off. This is mostly during the night and early morning when heat is needed (we were in south MS and now south TX). It definitely sounds like a drip and not a duct expansion noise. There is no visible water accumulation BUT the underneath of our trailer has a vapor barrier - no sag or accumulation of water is apparent there. We hesitate to breech this barrier without evidence. My husband took the panel off of the front of the shower pan but could see no evidence of water there. Any ideas or suggestions??? Could this possibly be a condensation issue with the duct? I think the fresh water tank or the gray water tank is directly below the bathroom. Thanks!
TNtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm not saying it is expansion/contraction and you believe it is not expansion/contraction but let me tell you... it could very well be.

Two 5th wheels back (SOB) we chased what we wholeheartedly believed was a water drip when the heat or A/C ran then shut down. I spent countless hours trying to track it down. Months later I finally found a small edge of ducting rubbing on part of the structure. It sounded exactly like drips of water.

It could very well be something else. All I'm saying is don't rule out the expansion/contraction on a whim.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

It could be condensation, but if it is, it's probably not from the duct, but something close to the duct.

Does that unit have hard or flexible duct running to that register?

Do you have a fully enclosed underbelly, or just the vapor barrier against the floor bottom?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It could be condensation, but if it is, it's probably not from the duct, but something close to the duct.

Does that unit have hard or flexible duct running to that register?

Do you have a fully enclosed underbelly, or just the vapor barrier against the floor bottom?
The ductwork is light gauge metal and underneath is just a vapor barrier that runs the full length of the trailer.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks! I may just be paranoid but heating a "drip" makes me anxious. ��
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

A 'drip' would make me anxious as well.

You may have to get (or send DH) under the RV one morning when you're hearing the 'drip' and feel the vapor barrier to see if you can feel or see anything.

If the duct is close enough to the drain plumbing for the shower or vanity, or it's leaking hot air on it, it could be heating up the water in the trap enough to cause it to overflow the trap a little and drip into the holding tank. Just a SWAG at that.

I'd definitely keep looking until I knew what it was.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #7

Drip Sound

Do you just get the sound when you first run your heater? If so your drip may be caused by a air leak in your heater duct. the warm moist air from the heater may be condensing on a metal plate or other object. the amount of moisture would not be enough to show on the under belly. Easy fix would be to insulate any area close to the duct, where condensation may occur.
I am not sure about RVs but in mobile homes duct work leaks to keep pipes from freezing. Just might be the same here.
ka7cxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not saying it is expansion/contraction and you believe it is not expansion/contraction but let me tell you... it could very well be.

Two 5th wheels back (SOB) we chased what we wholeheartedly believed was a water drip when the heat or A/C ran then shut down. I spent countless hours trying to track it down. Months later I finally found a small edge of ducting rubbing on part of the structure. It sounded exactly like drips of water.

It could very well be something else. All I'm saying is don't rule out the expansion/contraction on a whim.
I am with 5picker on this one !!!
Our MBR & Bath are no south side of our home,,, in the winter when the sun hits it,,, which is no often,,, I can stand in the Bathroom and listen to the vinyl siding expanding !!! Sounds a little like a drip !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo