Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Dropped the toilet paper plastic tube in the rv toilet - now the tank is plugged

Oh boy, the plastic tube (about 5" x 1") that holds the roll of toilet paper accidentally popped out and fell right into the rv toilet, and down into the black water tank... We have a flush system, but it didn't help, and the tank is now plugged. The black water tank valve still opens and closes, I'm assuming the plastic tube is stuck just upstream of that, and has created a clogged tube.
I want to remove the valve and see if I can clean it out, but I don't see any way to drain the black water tank except through the valve - any ideas to minimize the messiness of this, I'd be so thankful!

Patrick Geraghty
2016 Dynamax Isata 3
Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How full is the tank?

Inexpensive borescopes/endoscopes that connect to a phone (around $10) or mobile device might tell you where the tube/block is located.

If the tank is really full and you have a straight shot into the tank from the toilet (no 45º ells) you might contact a septic tank company. My relation had them come one time and they used a smaller diameter hose down through the toilet to pump the tank so the tank could be repaired.

Endoscope, 5.5mm Waterproof USB Borescope Inspection Camera $8.11 + Free Shipping

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 02-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

One possible way to clear the clog, at least in order to get the "muck" out of the tank is to use drain elbow that has a flush connection on it.

Take RV to dump station where you can get a good water supply. Connect elbow inline with drain hose, connect water hose, open valve, and open flush valve (not one in tank but one in elbow only). This may provide enough pressure to remove whatever is sealing off the opening around the offending TP support tube and let the nasty stuff drain from the tank. May take a while with lots of alternating between flush and drain to get tank empty.

THEN, remove valve and it may be possible to fish out the tube, perhaps with a grabber tool.

Here's the elbow I'm referring to:

The "fishing tool" :

In closing, I always follow the rule "Look before you flush". This way you know that things like car keys, wallet, or even cell phone, don't go down the drain. Same for TP support tubes

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

What titanmike said to use may flush it out without having to use anything else. I use a similar setup to back flush both tanks. Much better then the tank flush installed. You will be able to see what comes out.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Brake is on left

The hose flush drain elbow works best if there is a straight shot. Mine in particular has a 90 and a 45 degree bend in it. There would be no real way to get the water blast directed at the blockage. It is not an awesome proposition, but if the water jet doesn't work compressed air might. You would have to fab up a cap and tap an air line connection to it. Giving it some pressure may "burp" the offender back into the tank. The bad part is that whatever gets past the valve before you can close it is going on the ground.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

If I had a little kid, I'd have them reach their little arm up there from the drain valve end. This is probably also a good reason I don't have kids.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The hose flush drain elbow works best if there is a straight shot. Mine in particular has a 90 and a 45 degree bend in it. There would be no real way to get the water blast directed at the blockage. It is not an awesome proposition, but if the water jet doesn't work compressed air might. You would have to fab up a cap and tap an air line connection to it. Giving it some pressure may "burp" the offender back into the tank. The bad part is that whatever gets past the valve before you can close it is going on the ground.
Another $5 solution is one of these:

Put cap on drain discharge, hook up hose (will need a double female adapter), open drain valve, turn on water, let water pressure do it's job.

It's my guess that the TP holder tube got lodged crossways at the outlet and layers of TP in the tank have created a dam. Since there's no real pressure behind the discharging "stuff" it needs some "reverse flushing".

Old 02-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

When we had a clog, we simply used a wire coat hanger down the toilet hole. and rooted it open.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Team

They make a flexible sprayer wand for cleaning out black tanks that you connect to a regular garden hose. It's meant to go down into the toilet but I supposed you could put it up into the drain and see if you could dislodge it that way. The only problem would be all the other "stuff" that comes out with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-.../dp/B000BGHYE8
Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
When we had a clog, we simply used a wire coat hanger down the toilet hole. and rooted it open.
I've used coat hangers too. The problem as I see it with the OP's problem is that the clog may be farther away than a regular coat hangar might reach.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #11

Get a piece of old throw away garden hose and connect it to another hose and put it dpwn the toilet and pull it back and forth and have someone outside watching if it comes out thru a see thru a elbow
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've used coat hangers too. The problem as I see it with the OP's problem is that the clog may be farther away than a regular coat hangar might reach.
If you untwist a totally metal coat hanger, it is quite long and it can be bent to shape. Might even be able to hook the paper holder. Our clog was in a similar area of the OP's. It was a McGiver moment that worked.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

Add-on waste pipe with valve

The clear waste pipe add on (mentioned/pictured above) also comes with (or can have added) a shut-off valve that is 'below' the point where you hook on the garden hose to 'reverse squirt' water into the holding tanks.

This allows you to close this new valve leaving the normal discharge valve open and thus backup water into the (grey or) black water holding tank past all the 'bends' from the tank to the sewer outlet before it drains out ... note: you do have to have the actual toilet ball 'flush' valve propped open to prevent a pressure build up in the holding tank.

I've used this combo a number of times to make sure I've flushed out all the coffee grounds (grey tank) & TP/etc (black tank) ... especially before winter storage. I use one of the in-the-toilet spray/flush hoses and this backing up water via the sewer hookup (backing up several times) to really flush the bottom of the black water tank.

A quick Google search will bring up a number of choices. I've attached a picture of one (the open end attaches to the existing RV sewage outlet, the valve end attaches to your dump station hose).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WasteFlushWithValve.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	223309  
Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinVA View Post
The clear waste pipe add on (mentioned/pictured above) also comes with (or can have added) a shut-off valve that is 'below' the point where you hook on the garden hose to 'reverse squirt' water into the holding tanks.

This allows you to close this new valve leaving the normal discharge valve open and thus backup water into the (grey or) black water holding tank past all the 'bends' from the tank to the sewer outlet before it drains out ... note: you do have to have the actual toilet ball 'flush' valve propped open to prevent a pressure build up in the holding tank.

I've used this combo a number of times to make sure I've flushed out all the coffee grounds (grey tank) & TP/etc (black tank) ... especially before winter storage. I use one of the in-the-toilet spray/flush hoses and this backing up water via the sewer hookup (backing up several times) to really flush the bottom of the black water tank.

A quick Google search will bring up a number of choices. I've attached a picture of one (the open end attaches to the existing RV sewage outlet, the valve end attaches to your dump station hose).
The tank should be vented out the roof. No need for the ball valve to be open on a black tank.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #15

You might also use the 45 degree elbow with a toilet snake. Could be messy...
Old 02-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #16

The plastic elbow that back flushes with water can also be used with a plumbing snake. Remove the fitting for the water hose and use a snake to get to the blockage. The small hole can now be blocked by your thumb (wear gloves). Non't ask how I know this will work.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #17

My wife flushed her teeth down the toilet after being sick. I asked her if she wanted me to fish them out. She said not in a million years.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #18

Double female adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Put cap on drain discharge, hook up hose (will need a double female adapter), open drain valve, turn on water, let water pressure do it's job.
Double female adapter: Also known as "the washing machine hose you saved when you got new ones.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Double female adapter: Also known as "the washing machine hose you saved when you got new ones.
Why do us men save stuff like that??? lmao, you think the ladies do that?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #20

I'd go through the toilet with a snake to break clog loose. Then flush with lots of water until tp holder floats out. I'd most likely clear the clog, then close the valve on black tank, fill tank to the top and drain. Rinse and repeat and I bet it'll float out on it's own.
Keep us posted.

Remember, any Day on this side of the Grass is such a Great Time. And with that, Go Out and have a Good Day on purpose.
Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
Closed Thread

Tags
tank