Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

Dumping Tanks at home

Hi! I'm trying to find out if I can dump my tanks at home, not using the main sewer clean out, which is on the other side of my house.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the access point on the outside of the house could be used with a mascerator pump. I've attached 2 pics of what I'm talking about. It would be great if this is an option since we'll be doing a lot of boondocking. Thanks in advance for an wisdom you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200730_081654.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	236093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200730_081737.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	236094  
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

We dump into our septic tank. We live in the middle of nowhere. No city sewer or water. just a well and septic tank on 80 acres.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRose View Post
Hi! I'm trying to find out if I can dump my tanks at home, not using the main sewer clean out, which is on the other side of my house.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the access point on the outside of the house could be used with a mascerator pump. I've attached 2 pics of what I'm talking about. It would be great if this is an option since we'll be doing a lot of boondocking. Thanks in advance for an wisdom you can provide.
This too could be a cleanout. Is it near your kitchen?

In my house the main cleanout is on one end of the house where the three bathrooms all empty to the main sewer line. There is a cleanout near the kitchen sink which is on the other end of the house. Pipe size is smaller but if you use a macerator pump it will only discharge through a 3/4" hose which is only half the size of the sink drain line.

Before using I'd run a garden hose full throttle through this access to make sure nothing backs up in a sink or overflows. Little chance but well worth checking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We dump into our septic tank. We live in the middle of nowhere. No city sewer or water. just a well and septic tank on 80 acres.
Are you offering to let the OP dump at your place?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Are you offering to let the OP dump at your place?
That will be the day:ro flblack:

Although for the right price anything is possible.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:

that is a clean out.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
Brake is on left

If that is a clean out, then you sure can! Maybe a code thing, but they are all 4” around here. Never seen a 2” clean out.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #8

i have a main sewer line across the rear of my property and behind my trailer parking spot. It has a cleanout 50 feet behind my trailer. I ran a 3" line from the rear of the trailer thru a block wall at the rear and placed an RV sewer connector at the end. When I dump. I attach a flex sewer line to the end of the pipe and put it into the cleanout. Simple. I know most won't have that luxury, but it is nice for when I can't dump at the camp site, or want to flush my tanks.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

We had a new septic system installed last year. We live in an area that requires a sand mound system, which includes 2 1500 gal. tanks, a pump, and, of course, the mound. There are several access points where I could dump with a macerator, so I asked the septic installer if that would be okay. He said the fine particles of solid waste the macerator discharges could clog the filter and pump in the system, so he didn't recommend it. I don't know if the same applies to standard septic systems. Since our new system cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, I decided not to try it.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
We had a new septic system installed last year. We live in an area that requires a sand mound system, which includes 2 1500 gal. tanks, a pump, and, of course, the mound. There are several access points where I could dump with a macerator, so I asked the septic installer if that would be okay. He said the fine particles of solid waste the macerator discharges could clog the filter and pump in the system, so he didn't recommend it. I don't know if the same applies to standard septic systems. Since our new system cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, I decided not to try it.
If the waste from the trailer is dumped into the system in the same place that waste from the house enters it what's the problem.

Fine particles from the macerator????? How would that be different from your chewed food and TP??????????

He's right if the waste from the macerator is dumped in any point AFTER the initial "Digestion" tank where most non-digestible solids are separated from liquids.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #11

Cleanout Adaptor

I dump at home into a sewer cleanout with a mascerator pump all the time. I got a new cleanout cap, drilled and tapped it for 3/4" NPT and screwed in a short 3/4" brass nipple with a 3/4" garden hose adapter. I keep it closed with a hose cap when not in use and use a female to female garden hose adapter to connect to it. Works great. My cleanout is 4" PVC. It appears from the picture that your cap isn't PVC but I thought that my solution might give you some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208_211226.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	236154  
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If the waste from the trailer is dumped into the system in the same place that waste from the house enters it what's the problem.

Fine particles from the macerator????? How would that be different from your chewed food and TP??????????

He's right if the waste from the macerator is dumped in any point AFTER the initial "Digestion" tank where most non-digestible solids are separated from liquids.
That's what I thought, but this guy has installed lots of systems, so I'l take his word for it. I have no need for a home dump site at this point, but I asked him for future reference. If the need ever arises I'll get other advice.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-LP240FS View Post
I dump at home into a sewer cleanout with a mascerator pump all the time. I got a new cleanout cap, drilled and tapped it for 3/4" NPT and screwed in a short 3/4" brass nipple with a 3/4" garden hose adapter. I keep it closed with a hose cap when not in use and use a female to female garden hose adapter to connect to it. Works great. My cleanout is 4" PVC. It appears from the picture that your cap isn't PVC but I thought that my solution might give you some ideas.
I opened the black cap and it says it's 1.5 inch UPC. This is between the sinks in my master bath (opposite side of the house from all the other plumbing). So I need an adapter from this fitting down to a 3/4 inch garden hose hooked to the mascerator, correct? I'm assuming it should be brass since PVC will break down too easily.

So dumb question. How do you prevent any spatter on the side of the house?
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:

The black one is exactly like mine located in the garage floor. I ran a water hose in mine full blast to make sure it didn't back up. You can take the cap off and run water in your house and listen at hole also. Works perfectly with my Sewer Saver and I always dump at home. Have never used the stinky slinky but carry it with me, never know.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
That's what I thought, but this guy has installed lots of systems, so I'l take his word for it. I have no need for a home dump site at this point, but I asked him for future reference. If the need ever arises I'll get other advice.
Maybe the first time he was asked that question.
You have a dosing system. the first tank is for solids to settle and digest. the second tank with the pump is the dosing chamber. once the liquid reaches a certain level the pump comes on and pumps a certain amount of effluent into the field under pressure. The size of the dosing chamber, and pipes in the field, are sized so the pump will fill the field completely. It works different and more efficiently than most older systems that work by gravity and no pump. Anyway I do not see any reason why you could not dump into the holding tank but not the one with the pump in it. Its the same as flushing your toilet in the house.
We are hooked up to the sewer system and the house is over 100 feet from where our service lead connects to the sewer. So there is a cleanout next to the house in the side yard. I installed an bayonet adapter to the pvc stand pipe at just below the ground surface. I finished it by installing a sprinkler valve box enclosure over the pipe with a lid level with the surface so I can just go right over it when I am cutting the grass. I have a flex hose with bayonet connectors on both ends. I connect, open the valve, and done.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
Brake is on left

Maybe the septic tech thinks 80 gallons of waste water (black plus gray) will overfill the first tank? I dont know those systems, but maybe.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Maybe the septic tech thinks 80 gallons of waste water (black plus gray) will overfill the first tank? I dont know those systems, but maybe.
When the first tank reaches a set level the pump starts and it sends the contents to the next station.

Not a lot different than a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years celebration when the house is filled with 30+ people.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
New to FR. Old to TT

Your 1st tank will probably be 1500 gal or 2500, 2ed tank, the one with the pump is probably 1500 gal, so no you wont fill it even if you really clean your black tank. We have that same type system and in 15 years never had a problem. I made a small system out of 3- 55 gal. plastic barrels and 3/4 inch rock connected with 3 in pvc, drilled about a hundred holes in bottem and bottom sidesfilled the bottem of the pit with the rocks and poured some in the barrels the rest all around the 3 barrels in the pit. Ben working for 5 years and I do a really good black tank rinse. Now we live in the country so may not be code but.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Even 80 gallons should be okay into a 1500 gallon tank using a macerator like he is wanting to do.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #20

Quote:
I opened the black cap and it says it's 1.5 inch UPC. This is between the sinks in my master bath (opposite side of the house from all the other plumbing). So I need an adapter from this fitting down to a 3/4 inch garden hose hooked to the mascerator, correct? I'm assuming it should be brass since PVC will break down too easily.

So dumb question. How do you prevent any spatter on the side of the house?
Splatter isn't a problem when you use a pump. You hook up the hose dry and then you purge the hose with lots of clean water before you disconnect. However, I would be concerned pumping mascerated poo and toilet paper through a 1 1/2 inch sink drain. If that sink drain were to plug while you are pumping waste there is no place for the waste to go but out into your master bath sinks!
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank