RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

Electric water heater element?

Anyone recognize this electric water heater element replacement part number?

I accidentally left the element on when I drained the tank so I assume it's burned out.

I did a seach for the part number but can't seem to find it?

Any help detemining which part number i need or where to find one would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Skip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_192523.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	241997  
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

It's a suburban water heater. The elements are usually the same. We have a manual in the library here on the forums that has the part numbers. Hold on and I will get it for you. You don't have to use the Suburban brand unless you just want to.

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Team

I did a BING search for 233364 and got a couple of hits.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

520789 is the old number but 520900 is the new element number from Suburban that also allows more time on a dry energizing situation before it ruins the element. You can use either one.

Suburban actually sent us a message on this part number which is post #6 here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1661524

Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post

I accidentally left the element on when I drained the tank so I assume it's burned out.

Any help detemining which part number i need or where to find one would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Skip
Remove element and take to Home Depot for replacement! Youroo!!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #6

If not Home Depot or Lowes the local plumbing shop. None will charge "RV prices" for what's a generic electric element.

-- Chuck
Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

Thanks WMTire, MrDan an Youroo!

All very helpful. The MUST REPLACE WITH 233364 must be referring to the switch and not the heating element, eh?

Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Before you "assume" it's burned out, have you tested it?

Turn off power to the element. It's best to disconnect from any shore power if you can. Then, If you have a multimeter, remove the black cover over the element. Disconnect at least one of the two wires, but you can disconnect both wires to the element to make sure you are only measuring the resistance/ohms in the element.

Set you multimeter to measure ohms/resistance. Put the multimeter probe ends on the electric element terminals. You should get around 10 ohms for a good element. If you do get that, then we can troubleshoot why it may not be working further.

You could also have a tripped or burned out ECO/Hi-limit thermostat, burned out fusible link between the operating thermostat and ECO thermostat, bad electric element switch, etc.........all of which can be caused by leaving the electric element on.

I wouldn't throw parts at it, until we determine what part, if any, needs replacing. It won't hurt to have a spare element though.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

Thanks WMTire. No, I haven't had a chance to even try to heat water with it yet since leaving the electric heat on with no water in it. I drained it on Saturday and the I was reading the forum this evening when I got that sinking feeling - did I forget to turn off the water heater???? Drove out to the camper and yeah, switch was still on. Will try the multimeter this weekend.

Thanks to all. Always learning!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Skip the needless testing and just remove it as there isn't time to get the entire word "sh" out before it's burned to a crisp and left the remains of burned element on the floor of the tank which you'll want to flush. We've ALL done this.

-- Chuck
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks WMTire. No, I haven't had a chance to even try to heat water with it yet since leaving the electric heat on with no water in it. I drained it on Saturday and the I was reading the forum this evening when I got that sinking feeling - did I forget to turn off the water heater???? Drove out to the camper and yeah, switch was still on. Will try the multimeter this weekend.

Thanks to all. Always learning!

Is the RV connected to any form of shore power that is on? Even if you drained it with the electric switch left on, unless you are also connected to a form of 120 volt AC power, then it won't burn out as it's not powered.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #12

Thanks Chuck and WMTire. Yeah, we recently parked it at a seasonal site since we don't know what next year will bring and still fully hooked up.

Still getting into a seasonal routine. Draining the tank seems to help with the sulfer smell. Will sanitize it in the Spring.

Two weeks ago, I remembered to turn it off but forgot to release the pressure before draining. Shot the rod well into the neighbor's yard. Got lucky with that one so figure I'm still ahead of the game.

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:21 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Chuck and WMTire. Yeah, we recently parked it at a seasonal site since we don't know what next year will bring and still fully hooked up.

Still getting into a seasonal routine. Draining the tank seems to help with the sulfer smell. Will sanitize it in the Spring.

Two weeks ago, I remembered to turn it off but forgot to release the pressure before draining. Shot the rod well into the neighbor's yard. Got lucky with that one so figure I'm still ahead of the game.

Thanks again!

I know how you feel about the anode rod projectile. Been there, done that.

Back on the electric element though. Suburban makes several different models of water heaters, and Forest River uses a few of these models in their RV's. The most common are a SWDE model and a SWDEL model.

The differences between these two models is that the SWDEL model utilizes a 12 volt DC relay that allows an addition of an 'inside the RV' switch that can be used to turn the electric element on/off ...as long as the outside switch you have pictured is on the ON position.

If you perhaps had the SWDEL model (that has both the inside and outside switches to the electric element), then you could also be OK as long as the inside switch was off.

Now if you have the SWDE model, which only has the outside switch to the electric element (no inside the rv swtich to the electric element), then you may have ruined the element.

Posts #1 and #4 explain the SWDE and SWDEL models in more detail here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks,

Skip

As someone else mentioned we've all done it . I just did it myself when I winterized. I leave the switch on because when we disconnect from shore power it kills power going to hw tank. When we arrive at next campsite it gets energized when I hook up. However I had a seniors moment and forgot about it when I was blowing out the water lines and used onboard generator to run air compressor. I usually get them from hd etc as well as Amazon . Most recent was Camco 02142 which is 120v 1500w
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #15

I just replaced my Suburban water heater element. Here's what I bought from Amazon and installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you happened to melt your switch like I did . . . I bought from Amazon and installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #16

Quick follow up for those kind enough to offer advice:
- The element is definitely burned out.
- It wouldn't heat the water via electric and touching the water heater gave me that *hot skin* zap so I turned it off. Scary.
- That makes me believe the switch is fine and the element is somehow hitting the inside causing a problem.
- Amazon was a day too slow with the replacement and our seasonal site is losing access to water today so I'll be fixing it after we thaw out.
- Thanks to y'all, I have high condmfidence that the replacement will go smoothly.

Skip

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater