Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #21
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawduck View Post
Okay, so I got out to the RV briefly, long enough to take some additional pix. As you'll see, I don't seem to have a distribution box on the left side of the stairwell.

However, I noticed a panel beneath the refrigerator. Could this be that? (Also, I've added an actual pic of my hot water heater, which is basically the same as the one I uploaded earlier, but this one is actually mine.)

You think the box is this under-fridge panel? (I might get out there on Sunday to unscrew and peek further.)
Hmmm, the FR service schematic that is posted in a sticky at the top of this section also indicated the PDB was there but your photo sez nay nay. It would not be behind a screw in panel. It has its own cover. I see you found the BCC on the left. The panel access below your fridge is most likely for your furnace. When you locate the breaker and cycle it, if that does not solve the problem then you will need to check the element as jughrad suggested. You photo confirms that you have the Atwood design WH so the element is on the back. Most likely under the cooktop cabinet. This is what the PD Box looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0B0C93A-5290-4455-BC3E-7FAF50CEA825.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	271868   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A2FF73C-6C5F-40D9-88C8-17DBE19F6C17.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	271869  
Old 04-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #22
Kanadian Kamper

Lawduck……

From your own series of photos…

I believe your Power Distribution Box is right here in the lower right corner of photo #1.

Mine is located above my refrigerator top left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D47E8E0E-C67D-42D1-8E00-47BFA5609D3E.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	271870   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9E30C10-8DBC-4C73-A321-12BAA21A00E0.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	271871  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Lawduck……

From your own series of photos…

I believe your Power Distribution Box is right here in the lower right corner of photo #1.

Mine is located above my refrigerator top left.
I think your right. Good eye for an old guy!
Old 04-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Greetings!

We have a 2021 Sunseeker 3050, with dual electric/gas water heating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
You photo confirms that you have the Atwood design WH so the element is on the back.

Not sure of the exact date of the change, but the September 2021 (and March 2021) user manuals for Dometic have the element now located on the front of the water heater......so it's possible future members reading this might could have it on the front depending on when Dometic made this design change.

See diagram below taken from the user manual
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atwood electric.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	271875   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	271876  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #25
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I think your right. Good eye for an old guy!
I learned from the best.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #26

Quote:
As you'll see, I don't seem to have a distribution box on the left side of the stairwell.
Revenge of the Ultracrepidarians!

Glad it all came together. Love ths board!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Okay, so I got out to the RV briefly, long enough to take some additional pix. As you'll see, I don't seem to have a distribution box on the left side of the stairwell.

However, I noticed a panel beneath the refrigerator. Could this be that? (Also, I've added an actual pic of my hot water heater, which is basically the same as the one I uploaded earlier, but this one is actually mine.)

You think the box is this under-fridge panel? (I might get out there on Sunday to unscrew and peek further.)
The box/panel under your fridge should be the 110v to 12v converter, 12v fuse panel and the 110v circuit breaker panel. There should be a circuit breaker for the water heaters 110v element in it, if it’s in the off position that will explain why the electric element isn’t working, if it’s in the on position the element is probably fried and will require replacement.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:21 PM   #28

Some have the element on the backside. His photo doesn't show a cover on the lower right front side. Check the back.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:53 AM   #29

The thermal cutoff shown in your pic should be this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a 2022 Sunseeker 2860 with the Dometic water heater that uses this. I was advised by my dealer that they sometimes go bad so I ordered one to have on hand just in case.
Gary
Scullygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #30

I'm with the dried and fried element crowd.
It happened to me.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #31
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Revenge of the Ultracrepidarians!

Glad it all came together. Love ths board!
With all frivolity aside, the subject is an inop electric side of an Atwood design water heater. In order to determine why it is not working there are things that must be checked. The 120v circuit breaker is the easiest and first logical item on the path to discovery. Unfortunately the OP does not know where the PD Box is located. Since I do not have that model and there was a major change when the 12v fridge was added, I did not assume the box was still in the stepwell. That is why I said “ Your Distribution box should be on the left side of the entrance…”

Also noteworthy is the OP has not solved the issue yet. So we will continue to try to help him. When we do, your congratulatory toast would certainly be appropriate.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #32

Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughrad View Post
This is a likely issue. Just heating the element without water won't immediately damage the element but if you had it on then added cold water....... crack!

An ohmmeter across the element terminals should answer that question. A good element will have a resistance between 5 and 25 Ohms.
Sorry but anytime you turn the power on to a hot water heating element without water you will burn out the element. Its pretty much an instant thing.
Draytondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draytondave View Post
Sorry but anytime you turn the power on to a hot water heating element without water you will burn out the element. Its pretty much an instant thing.
Its not so instantaneous as it was before. Suburban has been utilizing a new element that can take being energized while dry for a bit with no harm. See post #6 at this link for an email from Suburban manufacturing on this element.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1661524
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draytondave View Post
Exactly...Instantly! And the breaker will trip.
Want to know how I know?
Old 04-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #35

I have a similar issue. My breaker keeps tripping. Any thoughts?
tmkwasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #36

Sounds like your element is shorted
Old 04-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkwasinski View Post
I have a similar issue. My breaker keeps tripping. Any thoughts?
Unhook one wire from the heating element and make sure it cannot touch anything. Turn on the electric side. If the circuit breaker does not trip, the heating element is bad and needs replaced (assuming cold water in the water heater).

Make sure to turn electric off again before doing anything more with the wire.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:04 AM   #38

Update: SOLVED!

Thank you to all who weighed in, but especially to KenandTerry, whose eagle eye noticed where my power distribution center was located. That was not covered during our walk thru, which is disappointing to say the least.

In any event, basically the circuit breaker was tripped. I reset it, and, voila, hot water.

For the sake of others who may stumble across this thread, I'm adding a couple pix to reflect what was where.

Also, I'll be taking the advice of others re having back-up parts for the water heater, although I have no clue where the rod-thingy would be found. (There's no "back side" access to the system that I can find, but I'll keep looki g for that.)

So, again, thank you and I look forward to using this forum more in the future. Y'all are awesome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220424_124049.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	272062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220424_124114.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	272063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220424_124130.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	272064  
Lawduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #39
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Update: SOLVED!

Thank you to all who weighed in, but especially to KenandTerry, whose eagle eye noticed where my power distribution center was located.

Also, I'll be taking the advice of others re having back-up parts for the water heater, although I have no clue where the rod-thingy would be found. (There's no "back side" access to the system that I can find, but I'll keep looki g for that.)

So, again, thank you and I look forward to using this forum more in the future. Y'all are awesome!
Glad you are back in business.

You will need to find the “back side” of the water heater sooner rather than later. It is where your water heater bypass valves are located. You should have a 3 each 1/4 turn valve system. There is a sticky covering how and when to use it.
Pull the bottom drawer next to your cooktop/microwave cabinet and you should be able to see it. (That should have been in your PDI inspection as well)

The “rod thingy” (if you mean anode rod) is not used in an Atwood designed or Dometic redesigned water heater.

The only water heater back up part I carry is the thermal cut off kit.

Just a suggestion: There is a Forester/Sunseeker specific section where you are much more likely to get model specific responses from experienced owners.

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater