Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Cutty

Empty Back Water tank is empty but read 2/3

Empty Back Water tank is empty but reads 2/3. I have emptied my black water tank flushed it put some Pine Sol in it w/water and get home and it reads 2/3 full. When I open drain connect/valves shut, it dumps out a gallon of goop I'm not wanting to smell or see all over my driveway! What should I look for and why after emptying it still reads 2/3 full and has stuff left in the drain pipe when I get home? The movie RV comes to mind! Ha Ha (not)
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Gold Miner At Heart

Well first of all its not uncommon for the meter to show 1/4 2/3, etc when empty. However it's possible that you could have a clog if your still getting stuff out. Do you have a black tank flush? If not I would recommend buying a black tank sprayer that you hook up with a water hose and stick down in the toilet.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

I am assuming from your problem that you do not have a black tank rinser. You probably have stuff stuck to your sensors.

While you were out camping, did you leave your tank valves closed? You should leave these closed and dump the black tank first at the end of your camping while it is full of liquids and solids. If you leave the valve open, the liquids leave your black tank and you are left with a glop ( technical term ) of solids. Then dump your grey tank to flush out the connection.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

I've never, read NEVER, had an accurate black water sensor reading in any RV I've ever owned. I know me and my DW can go (no pun intended) about one week with moderate usage before needing to dump. I don't lose any sleep over the sensor readings.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Next time dump then add about 2 gal water and a bunch of ice flushed down toilet Will clear it right up by the time you drive home. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
Well first of all its not uncommon for the meter to show 1/4 2/3, etc when empty. However it's possible that you could have a clog if your still getting stuff out. Do you have a black tank flush? If not I would recommend buying a black tank sprayer that you hook up with a water hose and stick down in the toilet.
+1

I do not use it every time but when I get a false reading, I will whip it out and rinse out the tank. Has worked every time so far.

Got mine at WalMart for less than US$20. Has a metal spinner on the working end that is driven by the water pressure of the hose.

Never have used the flush feature. The wand works great and I do not have to run back and forth worried that I might overflow the toilet and uses FAR less water with the same results.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

I found this video to be useful and thorough.

http://youtu.be/I6sv4d3PsTo
Feasba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
+1

I do not use it every time but when I get a false reading, I will whip it out and rinse out the tank. Has worked every time so far.

Got mine at WalMart for less than US$20. Has a metal spinner on the working end that is driven by the water pressure of the hose.

Never have used the flush feature. The wand works great and I do not have to run back and forth worried that I might overflow the toilet and uses FAR less water with the same results.
When using factory tank flush, if you have a clear elbow connector on the sewer hose, leave the valve open and you won't have to worry about overflow'n thru toilet...and you can see the flow and color...you're look'n for clear water!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

I think all RV manufacturers should include a disclaimer above the Action Panel. "Tank sensors are included solely for entertainment purposes and should not be considered a true indication of tank levels"
TxLightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Dipsticks would of been a better choice! Oh wait....a dipstick did design the sensors..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #11

Dishwasher detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
Empty Back Water tank is empty but reads 2/3. I have emptied my black water tank flushed it put some Pine Sol in it w/water and get home and it reads 2/3 full. When I open drain connect/valves shut, it dumps out a gallon of goop I'm not wanting to smell or see all over my driveway! What should I look for and why after emptying it still reads 2/3 full and has stuff left in the drain pipe when I get home? The movie RV comes to mind! Ha Ha (not)
I have used dishwasher detergent with excellent results. Fill the tank with fresh water about 1/3 full. Get a bottle of dish washer detergent from the dollar store and add it all to the tank. Drive for a few miles and PRESTO working again. Pine sol makes it smell better but thats about it.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Dipsticks would of been a better choice! Oh wait....a dipstick did design the sensors..
Ha,Ha,Ha - Couldn't have said it any better. The Calgon system works the best of all.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
good one. 👍
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #14

Quote:
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I follow the steps at this link consistently and I find I do not have any problems. If you don't have a clear elbow, I'd suggest investing in one. You can get a Camco model at Walmart for about $8.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Sewe...apter/29764318

One more thing: Why are you dumping your tank on your driveway?????
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
Gold Miner At Heart

Quote:
When using factory tank flush, if you have a clear elbow connector on the sewer hose, leave the valve open and you won't have to worry about overflow'n thru toilet...and you can see the flow and color...you're look'n for clear water!
X2
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #16
Gold Miner At Heart

Baco88fan whatcha doing up at 2:37AM? And where did bbcutright go? I hope the clog didn't get him..
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Since changing out my gray and black tank probes with Horst Miracle Probes, my tank indicators have worked perfectly now for over 4 years.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html

Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks

Note: Other than being a VERY happy user, I have no financial interest in this, or any other product, I have recommended.

Additionally, ALWAYS use lots of water in your black tank in order to assure that the solids stay afloat or do not stick to the bottom of the tank.

NEVER dump unless that tank is almost full. That way there is plenty of water pressure and circulation in the tank to get most of the solids out during the dump process.

Having an "end of mast" shutoff valve also allows one to partially dump the gray tank (with its soapy water) into the black tank for a second black dump to get any of the remaining crude out; just remember to only do the transfer once and for only a minute or so in order to keep water flow from the gray TO the black and not allow the reverse.

I also use the "shielded" (black tank) probe in my gray tanks since the gray/fresh style (coil) seems to attract hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	probes550x254.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	105173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	105174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	105175  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Since changing out my gray and black tank probes with Horst Miracle Probes, my tank indicators have worked perfectly now for over 4 years..
X2 on the Horst Miracle Probes.Installed them on my Jayco and they worked great. Haven't put them on the new rig yet since I don't feel like removing the underbelly enclosure. I suspect I'll do it eventually though as they seem to be the only fix for this age old problem that affects all RV owners.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
Baco88fan whatcha doing up at 2:37AM? And where did bbcutright go? I hope the clog didn't get him..
I don't sleep so 2:37 am is a good time to learn and contribute.
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So, assuming you don't want to replace your probes right away, here is how to clean your tanks so the indicators indicate properly.

1) Flush out tank as best you can with turbo-flush or toilet wand. Close your valves and add 1 pint of Unique's RV-DIGEST_IT to the black and gray tanks. Fill the tanks with cool water to the top.

2) Let sit for a minimum of 3 days; 7 is better.

3) Dump and repeat if needed.

To keep tanks clean and probes working as best as you can.

1) Dump and flush tank with internal washer or toilet wand.

2) Add 5 gallons of water to black tank and add 1 capful of CALGON water SOFTENER (not salt!) and 1 capful liquid laundry detergent.

3) ALWAYS add about 30 seconds of flush water with solids and use RV toilet paper.

3) Wait till tank is full (or near full) before repeating above.

You will dump more often, but your black tank will be clean and function properly. As a plus your tanks will never smell.

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Natural...s=rv+digest+it

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Fl...s=tank+wand+rv

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To...=RV+tank+flush

http://www.amazon.com/Septic-Toilet-...nk+flush&psc=1
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank