Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

Exterior access to Water Heater not sealed

Hi everyone...I'm new to owning a TT and have a question/concern about the exterior access to the water heater.

We just purchased our TT (2017 FR Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL) in Jan 2017 and it was winterized. It's now ready for me to de-winterize it so I break out the owners manual and trusty ol' YouTube. I think I got through that ok. But then on to sanitizing the water system. Here's where I think I may have caused some damage .

It looks like the exterior access to the water heater was not properly caulked/sealed (only half of it) and water that was being drained out of the water heater appears to have flowed behind the siding. I noticed water dripping from under the edge of the TT in two spots, one on the back corner and the other not far from the WH exterior access. From the inside of the TT, it's hard to tell but the little piece of wood that I can see, does appear to be moist. I've attached some pictures.

So my questions are...
1) Is the exterior access to the water heater supposed to caulked?
2) Do you think I have water damage now?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedWater Heater exterior access_LI.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	136587   Click image for larger version

Name:	back corner dripping area.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	136588   Click image for larger version

Name:	under camper near access door dripping area.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	136589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedinterior _LI.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	136590  

JessieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I doubt you have done any damage. Caulk/seal the lip of the water heater compartment and leave the area in the pics open to air movement to dry thing out (maybe a fan to help drying) and then go camping.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

That should've been caulked. Mine has a very heavy and wide coating of black caulking, almost like dicor on the roof.

I would definitely call the dealer on that since it's new.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Exterior access to Water Heater not sealed

Deleted
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

The dealer should take care of this.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

Important to notify your dealer with pictures and ask for them give you a letter/service receipt noting the situation. Water does travel and swells flooring and walls and freezes to cause delamination. If you are missing any sealant such as the water heater check all joints, windows, seams and vents in the roof. We had to have the whole rear wall replaced because the rear window was not sealed properly exterior and interior walls bubbled. The refrigerator was missing sealant also, noticed separation starting. We traded before anything else happened. Do not believe anything you hear about water drying up between walls or from slide seals, it seeps into everywhere - mold.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

Thanks for the info, D.J.

Our dealerships service center is "super busy" right now so they wouldn't be able to look at it until after our trip in June. So I went ahead and sealed the water heater area because I was in the middle of sanitizing the water system and had to get the bleach solution out. I do have the pictures that I took before I sealed it.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much I would trust them to fix things. My PDI was a 30-45 min walk through. I'm new to TT ownership so I really had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for. So I found this forum, thank goodness. We purchased it in January so the temps were too low to test the water system, just left it winterized. We had the "90 day if you find something wrong bring it in" timeframe. But we didn't find this until after.

I have also noticed the caulking in the shower stall has started to detach from the corners. I want to check the roof but don't have a ladder attached to the TT so I don't know if I'm supposed to be standing up there. I weigh 125 lbs. but still not sure. Plus I wouldn't know what to look for really.

Sorry to ramble on. Like I said before, I'm thankful that this site is available to a newbie like me.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post

The refrigerator was missing sealant also, noticed separation starting. We traded before anything else happened.
New guy, here. What gets sealed on the refrigerator??

I will be re-installing mine soon. I want to do it right.

Thanks.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

Our "New 5r" had such poor quality we had to trade in less than 2 years - at the end of the warranty. It was desecrating going nowhere, trim falling off, furnace, back wall delamination and water leaks. Obviously that dealer doesn't need your repeat business - just had to get on the roof and seal. You still need a paper trail for the future.

Tags
exterior, heater, led, seal, water, water heater