Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonahue805 View Post
Yes, single axle and the manufacturer does not recommend traveling with a full tank. Others suggest that the support are not made to all the sloshing around.
Where does Rockwood says this? I've been pretty diligent seeking out all how-to literature, including their one fits all manual on the website and have not seen this anywhere. I always tow my Geo with at least a third of a tank, knowing I'm going to places with water hookups. I have not yet attempted to travel full, as I want to make sure I go to scales when I eventually do.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #22

I know, but like here in Michigan and many other states we have visited, there are many parks that have a modern section, maybe a tent only section, and a primitive/rustic section. When entering the park you have access to a water fill station weather you are camping in any of the sections of the park. Then there are boondocking sites in the state forest areas that have no services available. Maybe a hand pump for water.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I know, but like here in Michigan and many other states we have visited, there are many parks that have a modern section, maybe a tent only section, and a primitive/rustic section. When entering the park you have access to a water fill station weather you are camping in any of the sections of the park. Then there are boondocking sites in the state forest areas that have no services available. Maybe a hand pump for water.
I've seen half hour waits for water on Friday nights (Traverse City State Park being the worst, maybe even longer). Screw that.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I've seen half hour waits for water on Friday nights (Traverse City State Park being the worst, maybe even longer). Screw that.
In cases like this, you just have to plan better
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #25
Site Team

I've never seen anything from a RV manufacturer that says not to travel with full FW tank.
I'd also like to see evidence of this statement from a manufacturer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Good, don't go to TCSP. Maybe then the OP that was actually looking for ideas on where to get water can go to TCSP and only have to wait 20 or 15 minutes to get water.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
In cases like this, you just have to plan better
*I* do. Full tank for me.

We headed out dry in December, and stayed in a cg that had water at the site. Obviously easy enough. Rest stops that had some would have been nice to know, though. Some Cabela's have dump stations, but they weren't on the way. I had 2 jugs in the truck, too, if needed. I'm not concerned about weight.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #28

It is great to go with our home water in the tank.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
It is great to go with our home water in the tank.
Yep, not only does my well water taste delicious, but strange parts of the country, the water has sometimes caused me, err......problems, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #30

I ALWAYS have a full fresh water tank. I boondock 90% of the time
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #31

Really think you need to rethink your empty tank position. Even if not boon docking, I carry 1/3 tank for washing hands, toilet etc. The specs on your unit give 1383# carrying capacity. 300# water leaves over 1,000# for other stuff. I doubt you will load that much in a trailer that size. 300 is a small percentage of your GVW. I doubt you would even notice.

Newt

Specifications

Hitch Weight:
366 lb.
UVW
2483 lb.
CCC
1383 lb.
Exterior Length:
15' 10"
Exterior Height:
9' 7"
Exterior Width:
88"
Fresh Water:
37.00 gal.
Gray Water:
12.00 gal.
Black Water:
12.00 gal.
Awning Size:
10'
Newtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #32
Lowandslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Where does Rockwood says this? I've been pretty diligent seeking out all how-to literature, including their one fits all manual on the website and have not seen this anywhere. I always tow my Geo with at least a third of a tank, knowing I'm going to places with water hookups. I have not yet attempted to travel full, as I want to make sure I go to scales when I eventually do.
I just happen to belong to my local Elks Lodge and American Legion. Fort Lauderdale/Pompano area. Most Elks lodges, or private clubs, as a member, will allow you to use their water to fill your tanks. Some actually have RV parking and hookups, or allow overnight camping if you are traveling through. And you can stop in and have a cold one or some lunch and use a clean restroom- Just a thought...Both of these great organizations support our Scout troop and are great too their guests too.
Eagleslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #33

Google it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonahue805 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just got my first TT, a GeoPro 15TB. My question is pretty basic. I prefer to travel with an empty fresh water tank until I get to my site. However, many of the places I go are primitive with no water. So I want to fill my tank when I get close to where I'll be staying. I'm looking for suggestions on where to fill up my tank. I thought about gas stations, but I wonder if the hoses they use are fresh water "okay." Any suggestions of stores, other public places to fill up with potable water before heading to my primitive camp site. I'm thinking of places along an interstate, or prior to getting to the more primitive areas. Anyone know of an app that has this info?
Thanks,
Joe
I always get on Google and search “RV fill station” near your final destination. So far I have found a place to fill. Most are also a dump station, which you will need on your way home, so you can stop again to dump. Happy Camping!
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #34

I don't know if this will help you or not but there are a number of threads on the FR forum talking about 20 to 50 gallon water bladders you can put in your TV bed or hatch and then use a 12V pump to move it from the bladder to the trailer tank when you get to your site. Not recommending this model, just linking it for reference.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #35

Stand-alone restaurants, ranger station, city hall or water dept of small towns, COE parks, some rest stops, service stations.
Just ask permission, don't park in the way, and filter it.
Retail establishments usually don't have non-potable if they buy it from the city or water dept.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #36

The folks who answered your reasonable question have some reasonable suggestions. Our first trip was with full FW tank for 2500 miles. Never again. Crossed a rough railroad crossing on a main highway. The repair shop said the only way the groves in the front of the coach above the hitch A frame could have happened was from a full FW tank, unless we'd had a LOT of weight on the bed. We now carry 5-6 gal in the tank when traveling until close to where we'll camp. Enjoy your new rig:-)
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #37

We have found it better to fill up at home. You never know who will have water or there water might be turned off. We had a trip planned last year for a week. So we decided to check the area and the Campground information said that had water. So I didn't fill up at home. We got to the Campground and the water had been turned off 3 days before because of a water contamination issue. So needless to say we had drive back down to the nearest town and hunt for water which took better part of a day. I told myself I would never again leave home without my fresh water tank being full.
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #38

Not a big fan of using water from gas stations. I'll look for an auto service shop and ask. I've never been turned down. Many RV sales and service centers have water as well. I urge you to use filters. I've had distressing amounts of sediment get past the usual one. I use a carbon filter and two sediment filters.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #39

Interesting no one has mentioned Sanidumps (https://www.sanidumps.com/). Although used to find dump stations, it also indicates those that have water available. Only those with a green water droplet symbol have POTABLE water.

Before going up into Colorado National Monument, which is truly “dry” camping, I asked the fast food restaurant manager where we ate lunch if I could fill up with their external faucet (after confirming it was drinking water). She didn’t charge me for it, but the courtesy was rewarded with a nice tip.

Also local Chambers of Commerce or tourist information sites can often help you. Look around and you will find what you need.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #40

Filling fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If your tow vehicle is adequate to tow the weight and you are below GVWR of the trailer with full water, consider beefing up the tank supports. That's what I did with my trailer.

Why would you need to shore up the fresh water tank on a new RV? It should be re-enforced from the factory. It's on there to use, so why isn't it fixed right in the first place.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank