Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #41

Because the supports they come with are inadequate. This is an ongoing saga with many trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
Why would you need to shore up the fresh water tank on a new RV? It should be re-enforced from the factory. It's on there to use, so why isn't it fixed right in the first place.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #42
GuitarPlayerBP

Fill at Home

I’m with many others. I fill mine at home. I have water for the trip and I know it’s good water. If my wife or I need to take a break we have water to flush.
GuitarPlayerBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #43

Camping 101 says find a site with water. I've camped many places with no hookups and just filled the RV tank with multiple trips and a 5 gallon jug I carry for that purpose. I agree all RVs SHOULD be designed to travel with a full water tank; but sadly not all are and we usually find out after the purchase.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #44
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We like to travel with just enough freshwater to use the facilities on the way. People have their preferences and that’s ok.

We use iOverlander app, it lists everything you can think of. Allstays is older, I guess there might be more information.
It is surprising to me how many places just let you fill up for free. We use our own hose with the blue camco filter installed.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #45
Take it easy,but take it

Traveling with water

I see your question is where to get water-We do a lot of checking around the area we want to camp at-KOA always has water .Kind of expensive, but so what. Also you can dump there on your way out $..And if you have several water containers (10 gal each) fill those and take with you-I made a water pump transfer unit from an old rv water pump,and you can pump that 10-20 gallons in with when you get to you destination.Also if there is water at the site ,you can fill you containers and pump once you get there..Dont hesitate to put 15-20 gallons in your camper before you go .It will be safe.Anything more in a FR would probably be a problem-I bowed my brackets. Call forest service office's in the area you want to camp, and they can tell you where water is avail.
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
Why would you need to shore up the fresh water tank on a new RV? It should be re-enforced from the factory. It's on there to use, so why isn't it fixed right in the first place.
... because probably north of 25% of us have had weak "reinforced tank supports" from the factory buckle under weigh. In my case it was not from hauling water on a trip but from filing my tank to sanitize it after a trip.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #47

I feel the same and have the same problem. Too much weight and poor supports.
We are in month 3 of traveling the south and there have been a few times we are heading to primitive site or even Walmart for the night and need water in the fresh water tank.
We’ve stopped at many gas stations to find they do not offer fresh water. If they do, faucet is in front and cannot connect our hose. I have filled our 5 gal water container a few times in a pinch.
Here’s what I do. Whenever avail, I put 5 to 10 gals into my 30 gal tank and travel with that. This way, at least I have enough to flush the toilet!
Also, keep that 5 gal container full.! We have used it to simply rinse the toilet and use for coffee. Bottled water for drinking. Simple.
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #48

Well, with your water supply problem you are pretty well alone! Unless you list the places you go to!
We trust anybody that lets us fill up. But asking on site helps as the company knows the quality of their water. Once you figured out a location of each of your destinations you can go back to them!
We generally do not drink out of our tanks as the water may taste bad (we are pretty snobby with that) and use bottled water to drink. Anything that is boiled before use is OK. We also fill our tank about 50% at home to have water while we get there and look for water, and can last a long time on that if the supply is tight.
ebergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #49
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
We generally do not drink out of our tanks as the water may taste bad (we are pretty snobby with that)
Water that tastes or smells bad does not go in my tank. I sample first. If it's not delicious out of my taps, it doesn't go in tanks. I REFUSE to BUY water and the wasteful plastic containers.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I REFUSE to BUY water and the wasteful plastic containers.
I totally agree. Which makes me crazy why there is a run on bottled water right now. I have no problem drinking the tap water in my house.

We always fill up a 7 gallon aquatainer before we leave on a trip. It travels in the shower and gets set up on the picnic bench. That is plenty of drinking water for the trip. I actually don't mind drinking the water we fill from home in our fresh water tank. It has a slight more plastic taste but really not that bad.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Water that tastes or smells bad does not go in my tank. I sample first. If it's not delicious out of my taps, it doesn't go in tanks. I REFUSE to BUY water and the wasteful plastic containers.
AMEN!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #52
Scoundrel

Quote:
Bottled water companies don't make water. They make plastic. Specifically single use plastic.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #53

#! - Wherever I fill my water tank I use MY fresh water hose.
#2 - Wherever I fill my water tank I run it through a Camco water filter attached to the end of the hose hose.I also use that filter for "hookup water".

Fun Boy Tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #54
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We live in our MH. There is no “water from home”. We find most everywhere is pretty good, my hometown is terrible tasting.

We also have a five gallon container we use sometimes. I’m shocked at how well that flimsy looking container has held up.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Bottled water companies don't make water. They make plastic. Specifically single use plastic.
MANY of the 16 oz or 500ml bottles used by bottled water companies are made in China. They can make, label and ship them here for about 3 cents a bottle where US products run closer to 15 cents per - or that's the way it was about ten years ago.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #56

As for a manufacturer advising against towing with full tank of water, sounds to me like they are admitting to a design deficiency in their product.
As to filling up at Truck Stops, they are chaotic at best and I can only imagine the risk towing in those tight confines. Is saving a few pennies by reducing weight really worth it?
cstruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonahue805 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just got my first TT, a GeoPro 15TB. My question is pretty basic. I prefer to travel with an empty fresh water tank until I get to my site. However, many of the places I go are primitive with no water. So I want to fill my tank when I get close to where I'll be staying. I'm looking for suggestions on where to fill up my tank. I thought about gas stations, but I wonder if the hoses they use are fresh water "okay." Any suggestions of stores, other public places to fill up with potable water before heading to my primitive camp site. I'm thinking of places along an interstate, or prior to getting to the more primitive areas. Anyone know of an app that has this info?
Thanks,
Joe
Consider taking your own fresh water hose along: I won't use my garden hose at home to fill my tank - I use my fresh water hose. I let the water run through the hose for a couple of minutes to flush it. I also use a filter. Most campgrounds have a water fill station.
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #58

Smile Thank you

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I've checked with Forest River and here's their reply:

The tank supports will easily hold a full tank, but we do not recommend traveling with full tanks because the force realized if/when you hit a rough patch of road multiplies and it could bend a support bracket. We recommend taking enough water to get to your destination and then filling your tank as stated in our Owner’s Manual.

So, there you go!!
jdonahue805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... there you go... they are covering their butts.

I will never own a R/V that I could not travel with a full tank of fresh water.
It defeats the entire premise of a mobile, recreational vehicle.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yep... there you go... they are covering their butts.

I will never own a R/V that I could not travel with a full tank of fresh water.
It defeats the entire premise of a mobile, recreational vehicle.
x2! We dry camp a lot and prefer our own water for as long as it lasts.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank