Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know how much actual 'pressure' the hand pump you posted actually makes during its stroke. About all you can do it try it to see if it will add water to the tank.

Short of that, a hand crank pump, a drill driven pump or regular old 12v water pump attached with the correct hoses/adapters to your jug is about your only other choice.

EDIT: polishdon beat me to the drill pump!
That was my worry.. I didn't want to spend $18 (current rate) plus adapter to find out it didn't work and then have zero use for it. I was doing some reading on the drill pumps, but most of people said they were junk (bad model/design?).

I guess where we camp, there is always receptacle next to the 30 amp hookup, so a pump that I could simply plug-in may be useful.

Any recommended hand-pumps for me to look into?

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #22
Dahagen

I don't have a gravity fresh water fill on my Coachman motorhome. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight water pump with hose connections and pump from my 6-gallon jug to the pressurized fresh water fill.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #23

We have a similar issue with our Sabre. We do have a gravity fill port but it is inside a "Convenience Center" which makes it very inconvenient to fill from a jug.

If you have a Anti-freeze suction port and an out side shower nearby (big if's, I know!) ...then with a few fittings you could ...connect a dip tube fitted with a male hose connector to in the jug to the Antifreeze port. Then fit the shower tube 1/2" connector to a male hose connector to the tank fill port. Switch the pump to suck antifreeze and draw the water through the camper and then into the fresh tank.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
That was my worry.. I didn't want to spend $18 (current rate) plus adapter to find out it didn't work and then have zero use for it. I was doing some reading on the drill pumps, but most of people said they were junk (bad model/design?).

I guess where we camp, there is always receptacle next to the 30 amp hookup, so a pump that I could simply plug-in may be useful.

Any recommended hand-pumps for me to look into?
For about double the money ($40) of the hand pump you were looking at, **HERE** is a 12v pump that would do the trick from Harbor Freight.

**HERE'S** one even cheaper

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #25

I have one of those camco things that has a tube I stick in antifreeze and a male hose end that I attach to city water. I use it to run antifreeze for winterizing thru the city water line. That would definitely work, as it suctions up the antifreeze and spits it back out the hose.

If someone already recommended I apologize - sometimes hard to catch all replies on my phone. Happy camping!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006...yLL&ref=plSrch
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #26

My trailer does not have a gravity fill, water must come from faucet or be pumped in.

!2 volt water pump wired to work with your TV 4 pin connector will work well.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #27

My previous mh (1997 coachmen santara) had no gravity fill either. But I remember that you attached your hose to the water inlet and then set a couple of valves to fill the fw tank from the hose.

There was also a way to suck water from a jug or any water container by using the winterizing inlet port and selecting a valve to fill the fw tank. One setting of the valves routed the water from the jug to the pump to winterize with antifreeze. Setting the valve to tank fill sucked the water to the fw tank.

I had a diagram on the door showing the various settings of the valves. Check your owners manual in the area where it talks about winterizing and it should also mention how to fill your tank with the winterizing port.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #28

Many are suggesting a separate pump to force the standing water into the pressurized fill port. This certainly works but requires the separate pump.

As bobm253 experienced, my 2000 Coachmen Santara (C) had a suction fill through the pump to the fresh tank based on valve settings. Worked like a champ when I needed to refill from a container. Nice water control in that coach.

I was really disappointed when my brand new Class A FR3 couldn't do the same nor did it have a gravity feed. I'm with Lynlanning - If you can use the winterizing suction hose to get the standing water into the pressurized system, you then only need a valve that allows the fresh tank to be filled from there. If not already there, it's a simple valve to bypass from pressurized to the tank fill. I made this mod to my FR3. And, you can use this valve instead of having to move the fresh water hose from city to tank fill to put some water in the tank. Worried about the antifreeze in the suction line? Well, I also use this line in the spring to suck in Bleach/Water mix for sanitizing so it's clean during the camping season.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #29

I have never seen one, maybe someone could chime in. Could the water bandit work with OP's pump?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #30

We have a hemisphere 302FK our solution was to buy a 12v shurflo pump and put a 7 pin plug on it. Jugs in back of the truck plug in the pump and go. Works great.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #31

I went out to take some pictures this morning so that I could show you what I am seeing.

Rear of camper:

A few pictures of the pump:

The hole you see in this picture leads to the underside of the shower.

And this is how I have to get to the pump:

As you can see in the picture, I have to fold half of the bunk bottom over, after removing the mattress and then climb in to see it all. It can't be accessed from outside.

I have heard some of you say something about using the existing pump to bring water into the camper through an outside shower. What about an interior shower? It would be easy to bring the jug inside and set it on the floor and suck out of it. Do you have a detailed process on how that works? Or I am guessing I would still need to have access to pump to make that work - which doesn't seem easy.

I was reading the manual, and it said at one point filling the fresh water tank through the gravity port but then in the sanitizing section it said to hand or electric pump the solution into the tank. - So that leads me to think that its just a generic manual and not one for my specific model/build.

And on an un-related note, I noticed this in the bathroom. Would you be concerned. I'm guessing this is an easy way for water to get inside. not sure how long it has been this way, but we have had a lot of rain the past few days and I don't see any leaks. The other side has the seal bubbled up as well. In the picture behind the crank it is actually broken in half (the seal).

Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #32
Canadian Member

Some forum members use the outside shower to pump water into the outside FW tank fill port. You can't use the inside shower unless you have way to get water into the FW fill line.

To use an outside shower, you need to rig up a hose from the outside shower outlet to the FW fill port. You'll also need to add an inlet for antifreeze since you don't appear to have one from the factory. Something like this is what you'll need:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-X.../dp/B0006JJ588

The add-on antifreeze inlet (pump converter kit) is something you'll want to do regardless of how you fill the FW tank because the only other way to add antifreeze is to use a hand pump.

From the photos of your model that I've been able to find, I don't see an outside shower. Does yours have one?

On my TT, the outside shower is on the opposite side of the trailer from the FW gravity fill, so I've opted to use a extra 12V pump. I just upgraded the factory pump to a new one and I'm using the old pump to fill the FW tank.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
There are posts on this site about RVs with no gravity feed fresh water fill. They have a city hose connection with a valve to switch between the unit's piped water system and the FW tank. SOB unit next to me this weekend had that set-up. Guest staying with owner asked me to help decipher the diagrams to get water in the unit without using the pump. I couldn't figure it out!

Sent (I think)
Was it a grand design?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Some forum members use the outside shower to pump water into the outside FW tank fill port. You can't use the inside shower unless you have way to get water into the FW fill line.

To use an outside shower, you need to rig up a hose from the outside shower outlet to the FW fill port. You'll also need to add an inlet for antifreeze since you don't appear to have one from the factory. Something like this is what you'll need:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-X.../dp/B0006JJ588

The add-on antifreeze inlet (pump converter kit) is something you'll want to do regardless of how you fill the FW tank because the only other way to add antifreeze is to use a hand pump.

From the photos of your model that I've been able to find, I don't see an outside shower. Does yours have one?

On my TT, the outside shower is on the opposite side of the trailer from the FW gravity fill, so I've opted to use a extra 12V pump. I just upgraded the factory pump to a new one and I'm using the old pump to fill the FW tank.
We do not have an outside shower (wish we did).

But it sounds like it doesn't really work that way from the inside shower. I also noticed I didn't have the winterization kit. I was thinking about just trying to use air compressor to blow out the lines. Wasn't sure which method was best.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Was it a grand design?

Ha! I didn't notice. They had dragged it against enough bridge abutments and pine trees that they didn't have any manufacturer marks still showing!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post

And on an un-related note, I noticed this in the bathroom. Would you be concerned. I'm guessing this is an easy way for water to get inside. not sure how long it has been this way, but we have had a lot of rain the past few days and I don't see any leaks. The other side has the seal bubbled up as well. In the picture behind the crank it is actually broken in half (the seal).

Do you have one of the max air or other type cover over the vent?

As far as the water, how about one of these little cheap hand pumps? You could put a hose fitting on the end. Even if it didn't work for that might come in handy for changing oil in the mower and other odds and ends.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ck-to-top-link
Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
Many are suggesting a separate pump to force the standing water into the pressurized fill port. This certainly works but requires the separate pump.

As bobm253 experienced, my 2000 Coachmen Santara (C) had a suction fill through the pump to the fresh tank based on valve settings. Worked like a champ when I needed to refill from a container. Nice water control in that coach.

I was really disappointed when my brand new Class A FR3 couldn't do the same nor did it have a gravity feed. I'm with Lynlanning - If you can use the winterizing suction hose to get the standing water into the pressurized system, you then only need a valve that allows the fresh tank to be filled from there. If not already there, it's a simple valve to bypass from pressurized to the tank fill. I made this mod to my FR3. And, you can use this valve instead of having to move the fresh water hose from city to tank fill to put some water in the tank. Worried about the antifreeze in the suction line? Well, I also use this line in the spring to suck in Bleach/Water mix for sanitizing so it's clean during the camping season.
The FR3s don't have a gravity fill?? This is now something I'm going to have to add to my list of "must haves" when shopping for a new camper!!!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Do you have one of the max air or other type cover over the vent?

It's on my list of things to add, just don't have one yet

Old 06-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #40

I have heard of folks taking a 5 gallon jug and putting it on the rail of their truck bed. A small fresh water hose connected to the water fill and syphon away.

Marty

Tags
fresh water, water