Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
And on an un-related note, I noticed this in the bathroom. Would you be concerned. I'm guessing this is an easy way for water to get inside. not sure how long it has been this way, but we have had a lot of rain the past few days and I don't see any leaks. The other side has the seal bubbled up as well. In the picture behind the crank it is actually broken in half (the seal).

The vent lid does have a lip that extends down beyond where the seal contact point is so you still have some protection in the rain. It probably won't seal going down the road though with the seal bubbled up like that.

Sometimes that seal will swell (the sun as well as roof treatment chemicals sometimes don't always play well with other materials) and I've been able to slip it back in place on the metal lip of the vent housing and cut off the excess.

As mentioned vent covers will help but you are going to need to address the seal regardless.

I'd have more concern about that big @s$ bug on the vent screen!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #42

This is a little off the deep end but... With some VERY creative plumbing and some valve adjustments. You could use the on board pump to draw outside water into holding tank. I think I would try it if it were mine. Biggest problem is accessing valves when needed that may be to much to overcome.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #43

Settled on buying a water pump

Tried many solutions including building a platform so that I could set my jug higher than the fresh water tank input. After research I settled on what I liked best. I went out and bought a water pump that was the exact make and model of the one I have in my trailer. In that way if I have a failure I have a back-up. Don't just go buy any old pump and hook it up to any old hose to save money. Unless you don't drink your water your pump needs to be certified as a potable water pump and so does the hose. You won't get one at Harbor Freight (already tried that route). The pump I had was a Shurflo (pretty common in RV water pumps) Then I wired up the electric so I could run it off my car cigarette lighter. Tried it last week and it did a great job pulling water from jug...no more holding and lifting...dropping jugs....break water spouts etc. Good luck!
asherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #44

So I just purchased a cover for the vent. Will be here tomorrow so I'll get that installed asap. Then figure out how to get that issue fixed. Not sure if its an easy/cheap fix then i'll do it myself vs trying to take it in for warranty.

Question on the pump. I have found these two on Amazon:

Seaflo 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Caravan/RV/Boat/Marine = $28.61 - 283 Reviews 4.3 Stars

Amarine-made 12v Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump 4.3 L/min 1.1 GPM 35 PSI - Caravan/rv/boat/marine = $18.99 - 28 Reviews 4.1 Stars

For hook up, running a cable to the battery on the camper or the truck would mean running at least a 30ft cable which seems that it may be a lot of trouble - maybe not

We just bought my son a 12v F150 Power Wheels the other weekend. Could I use that battery to power the pump? I suppose I would just need to touch the correct terminals. Would it hurt his battery? Should I get one dedicated to this instead?

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #45

We have a hemisphere also our solution was buying a Shurflo 4008 pump 12v 3gpm. There are several different small pumps that would work but for me personally I wanted something certified for potable water and these pumps are truly "self-priming run dry" pumps. It has 1/2 inch male threads on the intake and outflow and came with barbed connectors to fit hoses. Not wanting to cut the end of one of my potable water hoses I bought a 1/2" female to 3/4" male fitting so I could connect my white hose directly to the pumpon the discharge end then bought a 5' piece of food grade 1/2" I D hose for the intake and attatched the barbed connector to it. For power I bought a 7 pin plug and wired the pump to it that way I can have the jugs of water and pump in the bed of truck run the white hose to the fresh water fill. It works vwry well. One thing if you're to go that route the 7 pin plug black is pos white is the ground on that particular pump(others maybe different) red is pos black is the ground.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #46

Just found out that my brand new Sunseeker will not gravity feed to the fresh water tank. We do have a gravity/fresh water fill which works fine with a hose connected to the house to fill the onboard tank. Can not fill onboard tank by pouring water from a jug. The fill hose goes up to the tank!!!
Will have to buy a pump!!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerrard View Post
Just found out that my brand new Sunseeker will not gravity feed to the fresh water tank. We do have a gravity/fresh water fill which works fine with a hose connected to the house to fill the onboard tank. Can not fill onboard tank by pouring water from a jug. The fill hose goes up to the tank!!!
Will have to buy a pump!!!!
I rather like the pump option, no lifting of water jugs, wet shoes and such.

Once you get the pump wired it is pretty much "plug N play"

Besides, the lite does not have a gravity spout so a pump is about it.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #48

Are these designed for potable water? Usually the cheaper ones aren't but you may have found yourself a deal.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #49

Oh, sorry...I was talking about the Seaflo and the Amarine that you have listed.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #50

water pump

when we dry camp I take along some 7.5 gallon water tanks and a wayne PC2 115v 340 GPH portable water transfer pump which I run on the generator as needed. The input side has a short hose that i feed into the portable water tank and the out put I screw onto my fresh water tank fill up ( not gravity fed) using my regular white fresh water hose. I can usually fill up to 3/4 of my fresh water tank (using multiple 7.5 gallon water tanks) but then the pump does not have the power to fill the last 1/4. I purchased the pump and the tanks off amazon and they do the job well.
I hope this helps
Regards
rollin with the rudgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #51

Be careful of those roto cast outside bins. Water is heavy.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #52

Well to update this, I ended up buying a Camco 40431 RV Roof Vent Cover which has been installed - that was easy - and I ended up going with:

- SHURflo Model# 2088-594-154 - 198 GPH, 115 Volt, 1/2in.
- SHURflo 234-2926 1/2" FPT X 1/2" Barb Straight Swivel
- Prime PS010608 8-Feet 16/3 SJTW Replacement Power Supply Cord
- Camco 22743 TastePURE Drinking Water Hose (1/2"ID x 10') - Lead Free

My thinking is to use the 10' drinking hose and cut it in half. 5' on the inlet and 5' on the outlet. Since my water fill is in the rear, i will always be close by an outlet when camping or I can use an extension cord. But the Jug and water fill will also be close by.

Just to round out my purchase, I also ended up ordering:

- Camco 42593 Awning Anchor Kit with Pull Tension Strap
- 3 of Zenna Home 502S, Tension Shower Stall Rod, 26 to 40 Inch
- 2 of Camco 43981 Aluminum Screen Door Standard Grille
- Walex BIO-11530 Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester, (Pack of 10) < Do you prefer the Blue to Green Bag?

These things really start to add up.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #53

Yes it does but that's pretty much our set up and we are out at this moment using it. I really don't miss dumping jugs of water into the tank of our old TT. Initial cost hurts but it works great and takes away some of the labor which I'm always in favor of!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear fans View Post
Yes it does but that's pretty much our set up and we are out at this moment using it. I really don't miss dumping jugs of water into the tank of our old TT. Initial cost hurts but it works great and takes away some of the labor which I'm always in favor of!
Did you just mount yours to a block of wood?

Old 06-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #55

Yes I did and made a handle for it, also got a small plastic tub to store it. I haven't figured out how to post pics from my IPhone or I would have sent some pics of our set up.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear fans View Post
Yes I did and made a handle for it, also got a small plastic tub to store it. I haven't figured out how to post pics from my IPhone or I would have sent some pics of our set up.
Yeah I think I will do something similar.

And i uploaded those above by clicking on your User Name, go to Albums. Create new (if you dont have any) and then upload photos. Should be able to get the BBC code to post.

Tags
fresh water, water