Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

First time dewinterizing

Hi all, a new season of questions from me is about to start up.

We are on a seasonal lot. I've seen some articles on dewinterizing mention bleaching the water system, and others do not. Is this recommended? We don't drink or cook with the water from the camground/RV, nor do we use the fresh water tank. According to the previous owner, the fresh water tank has never had a drop of water in it.

Also, from what I am reading, it is fine to just let the antifreeze drain into our septic tank, correct?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What is your water source?

If you've added antifreeze to the system for winter, I find sanitizing the lines does a great job of getting things flushed, clean and ready for the camping season.

If you don't add water to your fresh tank nor use your pump, then at least sanitize the plumbing and the water heater. Just pour some bleach in the hose, hook up to the hydrant and push the water/bleach into the plumbing and let is sit for several hours.

You could also use something like this to ingest the bleach. Just hook hoses to each end and put bleach in the cup...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. There is a garden hose style water tap at each seasonal site from the campgrounds water system that we run to the rv. The water pump has only ever been used for winterizing.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnerb View Post
Thanks for the reply. There is a garden hose style water tap at each seasonal site from the campgrounds water system that we run to the rv. The water pump has only ever been used for winterizing.
I'd bet the campground has to do some kind of water testing (they do in PA) so maybe the campground water is already treated with chlorine to some degree.

Still, it never hurts to sanitize the system regardless.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, winter