RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

First Time Winterizing

Heya,

I’m going to have a go at winterizing and have a couple of questions.

I have antifreeze but don’t seem to have a hose connection on my water pump, as in the picture. However, I do have two connectors on the ends of the pipes near my hot water heater. Can either of those have a winterizing hose attached to it?

Also, the simplest method without the hose would be for me to dump antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pump it from there. I’ve read that it’s totally ok and the go-to method for a lot of people and then read that it’s no good and takes several flushes of your FW tank to get rid of bad taste in the spring. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I've got room under there, so I've ordered the Camco pump converter kit anway, but still curious about the antifreeze in the tank vs. bypass thoughts.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C35BBD3B-2691-40BF-BB92-63FA2A386A77.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	241672   Click image for larger version

Name:	F908463B-3321-45E6-AEBA-897BE31A2474.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	241673  
Oakstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #2

Thanks Cabinfever!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #3

A trip to your local RV place should fix you up. They will.have a fitting for.the in side of your pump, the side that comes.from the tank below. Then if they dont have hose and a clamp, stop at HD or Lowes. Get about 3ft of hose and a clamp. Take off the in hose on pump. Screw on fitting with hose. Insert into bottle if rv antifreeze. Turn on pump. Allow to pressurize. If jug gets low, swap jugs to a full one. Then run your faucets, toilet, outside shower, etc. I always use too much but antifreeze is cheap and a good insurance policy. I then leave my hose in the last jug until dewinterize in spring. Guarantees the pump has antifreeze in it to prevent freezing and keep the pump lubricated internally. I would put antifreeze in FW tank. Takes too much and difficult to totally remove. It is non toxic but thinking it does not taste too good!
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #4

Be sure to read what I added about the low point drains. Another note. Before pumping antifreeze be sure to empty waste tanks one last time. A 5 gallon bucket works for this. Then any antifreeze that goes into the tanks will find it's way to the valves. Keeping them from freezing and lubricated during winter.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Perfect. Much appreciated. Going to tackle this on the weekend when the hose attachment arrives.

Tags
first time, winter, winterizing