Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #21

it uses the same pump as for pumping water from fresh tank, just the setting of the valves has it draw from the winterization outlet instead of fresh tank
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
On your water heater there is a plastic plug, remove it and open the pressure relief valve.
better relieve pressure before removing plug. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
You are correct.. don't I feel dumb as I didn't reread the damn sticker. The top valve is the flush valve. The sticker reads "Caution - Do not use the tank flush valves unless the fully termination valve is in the open position. May result in an unsanitary condition leading to illness or personal injury".

So this may be my last question now. So I hook up the water hose to that top valve and turn the water on. What is the "fully termination valve"?? I'm sure it is just terminology I'm not familiar with. Is this just the black tank valve that needs to be open so it doesn't overfill?

I think i'm finally learning lmao.

I appreciate everyones help!!
Yes you are right.....I leave mine closed for a few minutes to float anything stuck to the sides then open the valve.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
better relieve pressure before removing plug. Don't ask me how I know this
I stand to one side, don't ask me how I learned to do that.....
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #25
Toy-aholic

Blwnsmoke, I highly recommend you use the pink stuff too...NH can get real cold as it does here in PA too. The folks that can get away with just air blow out are the warmer winter climates....cheap insurance, why risk it?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #26

Quote:
On your water heater there is a plastic plug with a green X, remove it and open the pressure relief valve.
I did do that already. The manual does state:

Quote:
5. After this procedure, there will be approximately two quarts of water left at the bottom of the inner tank. Should this water freeze it will not cause any splitting of the tank.
So because of that, I figured I'd get a little hand pump and snake it in the drain hole and pump out whatever is left in there.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
it uses the same pump as for pumping water from fresh tank, just the setting of the valves has it draw from the winterization outlet instead of fresh tank
Again, amateur move on my part but looking at my valve controls, they stay the same as if I have a water hose hooked up from an outside source.

To repost the pic, the sticker on the top right says "City Water Hookup/Winterize" and shows both valves stay up/down instead of left/right.

I followed both lines on the reverse side and what I believe happens is, the pump automatically pumps the antifreeze because the "city water" hookup has a cap screwed on. Since that is closed/sealed off, it diverts to the other outlet for the antifreeze and pumps from there. I bet if I unscrewed the water hose inlet, it would not pump because it couldn't prime itself pulling from 2 areas at the same time.

Boy did I learn a lot tonight. Thank you to everyone!!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
Blwnsmoke, I highly recommend you use the pink stuff too...NH can get real cold as it does here in PA too. The folks that can get away with just air blow out are the warmer winter climates....cheap insurance, why risk it?

Frankly I just didn't want to have to deal with sanitizing the system in the spring and flushing all the pink out IF this was a safe method to use (air).
Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylking View Post
I am trying to winterize my 2015 Wind Jammer 3008wk. It has an outside connection for winterizing. However when I it up to a bucket of antifreeze, I go inside and turn a valve from tank to outlet and then start the pump. The pump sounds like it is on, but there is nothing being sucked through. Help?
If you have the same setup as mine, do you have the outdoor hose inlet closed off so the pump can prime and pull from the antifreeze line? If it is not closed tight, it's going to pull air from there rather then fluid from the jug.

Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Frankly I just didn't want to have to deal with sanitizing the system in the spring and flushing all the pink out IF this was a safe method to use (air).
spring flush out is nothing.....just change valves back & run fresh water through. you're done. Water goes clear very quickly & is non toxic.

Trust me you DON"T want to be saying "shoulda/woulda/coulda" next spring!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
spring flush out is nothing.....just change valves back & run fresh water through. you're done. Water goes clear very quickly & is non toxic.

Trust me you DON"T want to be saying "shoulda/woulda/coulda" next spring!
X2. Not a big deal at all and cheap insurance against damage
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Again, amateur move on my part but looking at my valve controls, they stay the same as if I have a water hose hooked up from an outside source.

To repost the pic, the sticker on the top right says "City Water Hookup/Winterize" and shows both valves stay up/down instead of left/right.

I followed both lines on the reverse side and what I believe happens is, the pump automatically pumps the antifreeze because the "city water" hookup has a cap screwed on. Since that is closed/sealed off, it diverts to the other outlet for the antifreeze and pumps from there. I bet if I unscrewed the water hose inlet, it would not pump because it couldn't prime itself pulling from 2 areas at the same time.

Boy did I learn a lot tonight. Thank you to everyone!!
Just a question, if you posted it I must have missed it.

Did you get the tube that goes on the antifreeze connection?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Just a question, if you posted it I must have missed it.

Did you get the tube that goes on the antifreeze connection?
Yes, it came with the camper. Now whether the manufacturer provides it or not I'm not sure. It could have been part of the "starter kit" the dealer gives to everyone who buys a camper from them (they give TP, black tank chemical, sewer hose, water hose, water pressure regulator and a few others).
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #34

I guess I'll be pumping some pink stuff into the lines before this weekend. Any idea how much for a camper this size? Couple gallons?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #35

3 should do it. Don't forget outside shower and washer hookup if you have one
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #36

^^^ Yes I have the Washer/Dryer hookups. Will bring in a bucket and hose so I don't make a mess.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #37

Quote:
I guess I'll be pumping some pink stuff into the lines before this weekend. Any idea how much for a camper this size? Couple gallons?
I use a gallon and a half in mine with a outside shower and putting a splash or two in each P-trap and the toilet bowl.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #38

^^^ Thanks. I'm sure being 40ft that I will be using more then 1 1/2. I'll just buy 3 and save the leftovers for next year.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #39

I bought 4 gallons because it was on sale at Walmart....

Water pump will suck the first gallon real quick so have the second one at the ready before you start turning on the faucets.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #40

I use a longer hose and dump all the jugs in a 5 gallon bucket. Whats left in bucket gets dumped down the drains

Tags
first time, winter, winterize