Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #1

flange replacement

Hi,
replacing the flange for my thetford toilet because I am getting a sewer smell from behind the toilet. I checked all the P traps and made sure there was water in them. I keep 2 or 3 inches of water in the toilet boul. I flush the black tank and add the odor packs. The smell is definitely coming from behind the toilet. The closet only has the toilet and bath in there. I opened the panel along the side of the tub but no smell in there.
My question.
When replacing the old flange would you use some sort of sealant or silicone with the flange. or just the flange and tighten it down with the toilet?

Thanks

2012 28 ft Cherokee Grey WolfBHKS
2014 F150 4X4 Supercrew 5.0 XLT XTR
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

my toilet does not have a trap, I have the flange and a rubber gasket, no sealant, I would not use sealant in case you need to remove it again
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Sorry my toilet does not have a P trap...the bath and sinks only. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
No P trap here either. Check your rubber bowl gasket, cheap easy to replace. Did you look to see if your vent pipe is loose?

My toilet does not have any sealer at the base. If you have the toilet out, you could line the base contact points with butyl tape.....easy to remove later, and gives a good seal.....but....you have to track down the source of the leak. I doubt it is coming from the toilet itself, unless the seal has gone bad.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Are you sure the flange is cracked or loose from the stack pipe? The flange is different from the seal. The seal is a soft rubber gasket between the water closet and the flange. I'd start by replacing that, unless you're sure it's a faulty flange.

A while back Dometic was having a problem with the seal between the toilet halves of one of their toilets leaking and allowing the sewer odor to leak out, but you said that yours is a Thetford so I don't know if it applies to yours.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Not sure how to check the vent pipe. I looked down from the roof and could see the water so I am not clogged. The flange I call it is the soft rubbery gasket thetford part number 33239 closet seal flange. Is there another seal on the base?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Team

The rubber seal is easy to replace it's just a couple of bolts to take loose and reinstall.

You may have to take the water line loose if it doesn't have enough slack to move the toilet out of the way.

Tags
replacement