Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Question Flojet 18555-000A Portable Waste Pump kit

I've been entertaining the idea of purchasing one of these and deleting the big sewer hose. Interested in hearing feedback from anyone that has actually used this, pros and cons. From searches on the forum not a great deal of info.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

I have one, Works great this thing can really pump some black water. The only thing is you have to let it cool off, so it don't shut off from over heating. Just take your time and all goes good. Any thing else you want to know?
HarrynSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I've been entertaining the idea of purchasing one of these and deleting the big sewer hose. Interested in hearing feedback from anyone that has actually used this, pros and cons. From searches on the forum not a great deal of info.
I have had one for a few years and it works great.

It's not going to replace the big sewer hose, rather, its for pumping when at home to a remote cleanout. It requires a fresh water hose connection as well as another hose connection that the black water will travel through to a cleanout. When you travel you'll still need the big sewer hose to connect to the campground sewer.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

We've had one for years. Dumping at home is great because (a) there's no lineup and (b) I can take my time and do it right with plenty of flush water.

Agreed with the comment about letting it cool down. It does get pretty hot.

A few tips, if I may...
  • Always, always, ALWAYS test your Flojet to be sure it's operating BEFORE you open any drain valves. A momentary tap of the button is enough.
  • The flush port valve is one-way. MOSTLY. Do not use a potable water hose as a flush hose and if your flushing hose is not connected FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CLOSE THE FLUSH TAP.
  • A clear elbow will allow you to see how clean your drain water is and will enlighten you as to what passes through a digestive system intact. Disgusting? Perhaps. Fascinating? Definitely.
  • The flush port will not spray the inside of your tanks, but it will allow you to back fill the tanks which will help clean them.
  • DO NOT GET DISTRACTED WHILE YOU ARE BACK FILLING YOUR WASTE TANKS.
  • If your black tank does not have a built in rinser it will benefit from the periodic use of a tank wand.
  • When you are flushing the drain hose with the flush port, be sure the Flojet is running if the valves are closed, or the pressure will cause the the water to leak out the valves. THIS CANNOT BE GOOD FOR THE VALVES.
  • After flushing the drain hose if you cannot pump all of the clear water out of the Flojet down, disconnect the flush hose and open the tap to let air into the system.
  • Unless you need a shower, shut off the flush hose and open the flush tap on the Flojet to depressurize the flush hose BEFORE you disconnect it from the Flojet
  • Don't be surprised if someone refers to your Flojet as a poop cannon.
  • Take your time, use plenty of flushing water and relax knowing that you avoided the dump line at the RV park. Enjoy an adult beverage when you're done. But wash your hands first.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Jut purchased one online at significant discount over local RV dealer. also purchased clear elbow. Need to determine which battery you are connecting to as unit only comes with 6' of cable, will need to add more preferably 10ga.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
padcarroll

I also use a flojet but only when a regular dump is not available or too far away for a slinky. JD has some very good points that I can add to.
I use the line to the flush port to rinse out the pump line when finished. I then pack paper towels in the open end of the flower to absorb any remaining liquid. I also connect all hoses end to end to avoid leakage and odor. I finally cap the output side of the flojet before packing it away.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
I also use a flojet but only when a regular dump is not available or too far away for a slinky. JD has some very good points that I can add to.
I use the line to the flush port to rinse out the pump line when finished. I then pack paper towels in the open end of the flower to absorb any remaining liquid. I also connect all hoses end to end to avoid leakage and odor. I finally cap the output side of the flojet before packing it away.
Good tips!

I find that once in a while I have to free a clump of hair from the impeller. The Flojet stays at home so I wait until it's dry.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

I use mine to pump to a 42 gal Barker I keep in the truck bed. I also bought one inch hose used in a competitor pump and the 3/4 " x 1" adaptor. I have black tank flush and don't use flush on pump. Works great. I an so carry a spare battery to pump with. I still believe the slink hose is best if you have sewer at camp.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
padcarroll

I also opt to use the tank flush over the built in valve. I believe the pump instructions suggest running the motor no more than five minutes at a time. To my surprise I found my pump clogged a few months ago and blew the fuse. The clog was plastic from the "dissolving" packet which had been added about 10 days before. I now open the packet and dump the contents. The plastic no longer goes in.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, ...... "Sewer Solution",..... the poor mans macerator pump, no elect., no getting hot, ...... , I know, I've heard all the cons, but I know all the pros,...... three years trailering, have never used "Slinky"........ happy trailering,..........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump