Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Flushing Galley Tank

2008 30RKLE Cardinal. The sink in the kitchen has its own tank. Wife called to to let me know the sink isnt draining, I know the pipe is clogged because we keep that valve open all the time. got my pipe snake out and started working the problem all of a sudden here comes the nastiest foulest smelling stuff. almost looks like calcium build up along with everything else that goes down the drain when cooking by accident. I want to fill the tank and let it soak with something that will break down the gunk in the tank. I have tried those little pods but that isnt working to good what can I use that wont distroy then level sensors?
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

RidX has one for RVs. Works pretty good If you let sit. Fill the tank put it in and let sit.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne nichols View Post
2008 30RKLE Cardinal. The sink in the kitchen has its own tank. Wife called to to let me know the sink isnt draining, I know the pipe is clogged because we keep that valve open all the time. got my pipe snake out and started working the problem all of a sudden here comes the nastiest foulest smelling stuff. almost looks like calcium build up along with everything else that goes down the drain when cooking by accident. I want to fill the tank and let it soak with something that will break down the gunk in the tank. I have tried those little pods but that isnt working to good what can I use that wont distroy then level sensors?
As I see it the problem with the "Pods" or "Tablets" is that they don't get fully dissolved when just dumped in the drain.

I've found that pre-dissolving in a quart or so of warm water then pouring it down the drain. That way the un-dissolved particles don't just lie on the bottom of the tank and get coated with the oils, soaps, etc, that end up in the tank when you wash dishes.

I got a lot of white granules out of the gray tank before I started dissolving the gray tank pods first. Still get the citrus smell but no more granules.

If you're getting a lot of oil/grease/food "goop" consider filling the tank and use the Rid-X, letting it soak between uses. Longer the better and then dump/fill a coupld times.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

Dishwasher detergent powder dissolves organic greasy gunk in many situations. I always keep a box on hand even though I don’t have a dishwasher!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Dawn dish liquid,,,the whole bottle and very hot water. Do a couple times. if you can do this then drive around to slosh every thing,, that would be great. Remember,, very hot water melts grease,,, expect suds,,, never leave your tank drains open all the time.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Another member uses this method. Dump about 1/2 gal (2 L) of SuperClean degreaser, 1/2 bottle of Pinesol and about 2 US gal of water, tow home and leave it until you go camping again.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Dishwasher detergent powder dissolves organic greasy gunk in many situations. I always keep a box on hand even though I don’t have a dishwasher!
If my dishwasher at home is any indication, the stuff also dissolves food particles. I only rinse the plates off to get the big stuff into the garbage disposal in the sink then into the dishwasher.

Whenever I check the filter/strainer in the dishwasher there's nothing in it. I KNOW that some food particles are making it into the dishwasher and it doesn't have a disposal grinder built in so it surely must just be dissolving

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, tank