Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #41
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think "tank capacity" is an elusive number for any tank be it gas, water, or waste.

My TV has an advertised tank capacity of 28 gallons. I have driven it until the fuel gauge is down and dead solid on the bottom stop in the gauge and yet when I fill it up I have gas overflowing at the fill pipe at 25 gallons.
<clip>
Yep, I found that out on my 2018 Tundra. 38 gallon tank "capacity", but the fill from the "Quick find a gas station!" icon coming on is only 29 gallons. It is a known issue, but the reason seems like a engineering error. "If you run the tank dry, the fuel pump will overheat because it uses the 9 gallons for cooling . . . "
Wouldn't that be fun? A tank with liquid and vapors and an overheating pump . . . can't wait for the 4th of July . .
Old 04-27-2021, 04:21 AM   #42

Now the specs are wrong for calculating total weight including water!
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #43

For what it's worth my current RV is my third with a fresh water holding tank. I could not tell you how much water any of them held. All I have ever cared about is "Full", or almost empty. It it's full I do nothing. If it's almost empty, I fill it back up. If you use this method you will no longer ever worry about how much water is in your tank.
BPFox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

And that's fine BPFox if you don't mind being sold something with specs different than advertised. But when I got to Home Depot, and I buy a 5g Homer bucket (the orange 5g bucket), and it is advertised as a 5g bucket, when I get home, I expect it to hold 5g. NOT 4g, with maybe another gallon if you take lid off, turn it upside down, and pour the remaining gallon from the lid. For what it's worth.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #45

Some years back a close friend bought a new camper and there was a large difference in the advertised FW tank size and the actual size. He complained and they either replaced his tank with a larger one or added a second tank (can't remember which it's been too long). I think the difference was in the range of 50/30, advertised/actual.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
And that's fine BPFox if you don't mind being sold something with specs different than advertised. But when I got to Home Depot, and I buy a 5g Homer bucket (the orange 5g bucket), and it is advertised as a 5g bucket, when I get home, I expect it to hold 5g. NOT 4g, with maybe another gallon if you take lid off, turn it upside down, and pour the remaining gallon from the lid. For what it's worth.
I'm not sure why this has you so upset. They list "Fresh Water Capacity", not sure why you would not think the capacity would not include both tanks. I have always understood what it meant. Besides most people only care about the weight. If they just gave you the holding tank capacity your total weight of the RV would be off by the 50 pounds of water in your water heater and pipes. What they give you is total capacity and I would think that would be the number you were looking for. Do you know the water capacity in your house? Probably not, but I will bet you know how large your water heater tank is.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #47
Trailer Park Supervisor

Far from upset about this, I am happy they are posting usable tank capacity now. I thought I explained this earlier. I camp in this. I need to know how much water is available to me when camping, as water replenishment is not always easily available, particularly at end and beginning of season, when water spigots are shut off due to freezing temps. The black and grey capacity is accurately stated, the fresh tank should also be, and now it is! Hooray!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Far from upset about this, I am happy they are posting usable tank capacity now. I thought I explained this earlier. I camp in this. I need to know how much water is available to me when camping, as water replenishment is not always easily available, particularly at end and beginning of season, when water spigots are shut off due to freezing temps. The black and grey capacity is accurately stated, the fresh tank should also be, and now it is! Hooray!
I was simply trying to tell you they were giving you the full capacity. If you are happy having a capacity that does not reflect the full capacity, then who am I to spoil your happiness?
Old 04-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Kris, I was yanking your chain slightly but your comments do bear the question... has anyone measured the tank size the the new unit where the specs say 31 gallon?

Yes, I measured my tank and it’s what FR said it was. The HW is not part of the FW tank.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, fresh water, tank, water, water tank