Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

Found my water heater - is it gas/electric or just gas?

Thanks all so much for the help on my last post, I found the water heater! I read the thread with six posts, all set to start, but the stickers inside the heater area are all worn or torn off. I attach a pic (my fifth wheel is a 2004). The black strip in the middle with two circles is labeled "Reset" but that's all that's readable. I'm hoping to use the heater on electric, but I can't see anything that's clearly electric. Can you advise? Thanks again!

PS Sorry for the sideways pic - couldn't seem to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV wh side 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	262246  
uscgvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgvet View Post
Thanks all so much for the help on my last post, I found the water heater! I read the thread with six posts, all set to start, but the stickers inside the heater area are all worn or torn off. I attach a pic (my fifth wheel is a 2004). The black strip in the middle with two circles is labeled "Reset" but that's all that's readable. I'm hoping to use the heater on electric, but I can't see anything that's clearly electric. Can you advise? Thanks again!

PS Sorry for the sideways pic - couldn't seem to fix it.
Look on the lower left, behind the tubing loop. There's a black on/off rocker switch. That's the switch for the electric side. Make sure the WH has water in it before turning it on. If it's already on, the electric heating element may be burned out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

There are two resets, one for gas and one for electric. Plus you can read the ‘on’ label on the electric switch behind the silver lip of tubing. So yes, it is gas and electric.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

thanks!

Found it. It is in the On position. The heater is full of water. Before I try to replace the element, can I hit the Reset? if so, which reset button is gas and which electric? Thanks!
uscgvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #5

Are you plugged into shore power? Is the circuit breaker for the water heater in the 120 distribution panel turned on? Go ahead and press both reset buttons. It won’t hurt to press the gas one. Keep the gas off. Wait an hour and see if the electric is heating the water. Hopefully it will. If not there are lots of posts about how to check the electric side of the heater.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #6

There is a lot of debris, shown in your photo. You might wish to clean out the area before you attempt to heat your water, regardless.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #7

Pine straw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
There is a lot of debris, shown in your photo. You might wish to clean out the area before you attempt to heat your water, regardless.
Pine straw. It probably won't set anything afire but it will stink and smolder for a long time.

Before I retired, they were mulching around our office building with pine straw. If someone threw a lit cigarette butt into it, we had to pull a hose to flood it. It's hard to extinguish.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas, heater, select, water, water heater