Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #1

Question Freezing weather Operations

Our 832IKBS will remain online during winter. We are in Texas so its not so bad but we do get temps below 32. We do have heated tanks but are hooked to city water with a 50' hose. Should we use some sort of heat tape and then cover it with that foam stuff you get at the local home store ? Or, do we fill the fresh water tank when needed and make use of the onboard "tank heaters" ? Also, I was thinking of using one of those heating pads, "The kind for your back" to wrap the filter bowl to keep it from freezing. Just curious as to what others are doing. Thanks. Chris.
Bluesman731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

If by (Online) you mean (Full Time) do a Search at the Top for (Winter Living) in a RV. Lots of prep to make your unit a (4 Season)! Even in TX. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

Unless it gets in the 20s often, is do as you are thinking. Unhook and Pull in fresh water hose using water in the tank until the temp raises again. If it's only getting down to say, 25 for a couple wee morning hours, I don't think your tanks or onboard lines will have any problems. but running the furnace as needed, if it's ducted in that area, would help. If you find unhooking the house to become a pain, there are heated hoses available but they are pricey. Check camping world. Or, heat tape and some pipe insulation works great too for a bit less money. Depends on if your moving or staying put too.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #4

Thanks all !

Great info !
Bluesman731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

It does matter were in Texas you have your RV. I have my 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver on my small ranch near Splendora, about 35 miles NNE of Houston and I don't do much during the winter. I don't leave a water hose hooked up but I keep the tank heaters on if it is going below 32 F and open all of the doors inside the fiver with a small heater running. There is not much water in any of the tanks. I do keep it hooked up to the power. If I lived in north Texas a full winterize would be called for. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote