Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Fresh Tank Filled from Shore (City) Water Connection

Got back yesterday from what is likely our last trip of the year. Checked all of the indicator lights before leaving and the fresh water tank was full! When I left last week it was at 1/3.

This is not the first time the camper has been hooked up to shore water. At least three other trips this year and did not notice the fresh tank taking on water.

I was cautioned at check-in that the campground had excellent water pressure, so I made sure the pressure regulator was installed.

Is it possibly a failed check valve?

I had already planned to take the camper in for some minor warranty stuff before my year is up in February. Add this to the list?
Best,
WA

2014 Rockwood 8310SS
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Always Learning

This seems like it can happen 1 of 2 ways:

1) Your check valve on your water pump failed (it is likely a Sureflow Water Pump)

2) You had the water pump on while also on city water

If #1, it is supposedly a relatively easy fix from what I've read.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

I would suggest that it is the water pump check valve.

Easy test is to turn on your water pump, with no city connection, and pressurize the lines with all faucets off.... wait a while to see if the pump cycles (without turning any faucets on).
Even a small cycle of the pump will indicate it is the check valve.

However, this test won't work well if there is air in the lines.

Always use a pressure reducer at the water connection post....not at the RV inlet connection... I've ruined hoses because of too high of pressure.

Hope this helps
-Islander-
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

This problem seems to be happening a lot with the newer rigs that have an outside valve that allows for changing from city water to filling the fresh water tank. It might be a bad valve. I have had the same problem twice since purchasing my 5er in February. I haven't manually switched the valve to fill the tank, but after it fills itself I move the valve back and forth and the problem seems to fix itself. I then empty most of the fresh water tank and am good to go until (or if) it happens again. The water pump appears to be working fine with no cycling problems.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

Folks, thanks so much for your replies. It is good to know that it is something that can be resolved somewhat easily. I'm taking the camper in next week for winterization, annual inspection and minor warranty work. Will put it on the list for them to check out.
Best,
WA
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tank, water, water connection