Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

fresh water drain-where?

Hello. I am new to RV life. Just got 2005 Forest River Lexington 26 foot 255D. I added a few gallons of fresh water to the fresh water holding tank and my indicator gauge rose to confirm this. I do not know how to drain the tank. The manual only states that the location varies and shows no pivtures. I included a picture. I thought the drain was the valve labeled 1, but no water when I open this valve. There are 2 other drains? covered with plastic caps--I labeled them 2 and 3 in the picture. Are these drains? I know where the black and gray water gate valves are so those tanks are no problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedInked20181027_144724_LI.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	190157  
rvgara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

2 and 3 look like they are probably your hot and cold line low point drains. You use them to empty the lines of water when you winterize.

I would have thought 1 was your fresh tank drain too, but if nothing drained you need to look for another. The fresh water tank is usually fairly close to the fill for it. The drain is often directly under the tank, so it literally ends up under the middle of the trailer.

Good luck, let us know how you turn out.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I agree with Keith on all three taps.

Things look a little old and rusty in the picture. It’s possible something inside the line is blocking the water from being released or the actual tap is rusted shut, but I still believe number 1 is the fresh water tank drain.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Careful when removing the caps. Mine have o-rings that fell out the first time I removed them.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgara View Post
Hello. I am new to RV life. Just got 2005 Forest River Lexington 26 foot 255D. I added a few gallons of fresh water to the fresh water holding tank and my indicator gauge rose to confirm this. I do not know how to drain the tank. The manual only states that the location varies and shows no pivtures. I included a picture. I thought the drain was the valve labeled 1, but no water when I open this valve. There are 2 other drains? covered with plastic caps--I labeled them 2 and 3 in the picture. Are these drains? I know where the black and gray water gate valves are so those tanks are no problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Richard
On my FR3 the two small pipes are the low point drains. One hose is the suction side of water pump and FW tank drain, the other hose is pressure side of the water pump drain.

Th large hose on my FR3 is the FW tank overflow. Mine has a fine mess screen on it to keep critters out. I would not put a valve on the overflow but I have read on this forum that some people do.

See: Fresh water tank self draining?
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Thanks

So I appreciate the replies. The original owner said to open Valve # 1 when filling the fresh water tank and fill the tank till water come out of valve 1. So from this, I assumed this valve 1 leads to the top of the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is at the very rear of the RV under the bed and the picture I posted is also at the very rear of the RV, so I guess I have more research to do. I wanted to add a bleach mixture to sterilize. Can I just use the low point drain to get the bleach mixture out if I do not find any other drain? The owners manual is fairly worthless on this. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #7

On the two campers I've had with low point drains they drain only the water lines, not the holding tank. One was for the cold water line and one was for the hot. You want to open at least one hot and one cold faucet to break the vacuum, otherwise they take forever to drain, and may not drain completely.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

Well, again thanks to all who responded to my question. I uncovered and examined the fresh water tank and found a line coming off the bottom of that tank that leads to drain 3 in the original picture. I was successful in draining the tank by removing this cap and opening valve 1 as a vent to allow draining. It worked but took a while as the drain line is small. But i am a happy camper.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgara View Post
Well, again thanks to all who responded to my question. I uncovered and examined the fresh water tank and found a line coming off the bottom of that tank that leads to drain 3 in the original picture. I was successful in draining the tank by removing this cap and opening valve 1 as a vent to allow draining. It worked but took a while as the drain line is small. But i am a happy camper.
For your next trick. Find out what line 2 is. Then go find your low point drains. 1 red (hot) 1 blue (cold)
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
For your next trick. Find out what line 2 is. Then go find your low point drains. 1 red (hot) 1 blue (cold)
They do need to find out what # 2 is BUT... not every rig (especially older ones like the OP has) have red and blue plumbing lines.

Two previous rigs I've owned had ALL plumbing lines the same color... grey... including the low point drains.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
They do need to find out what # 2 is BUT... not every rig (especially older ones like the OP has) have red and blue plumbing lines.

Two previous rigs I've owned had ALL plumbing lines the same color... grey... including the low point drains.
good point.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #12

I think, but not sure that drain 2 may be the hot water line drain, as i did get maybe a quart of water out of it when I opened it.

Tags
drain, fresh water, water