Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hey Bob, do you have any insight as to why it's marketed that way? Since the water heater is a top drain, you can't get to its water without having water in the tank. Meaning, it's essentially unavailable as "extra" water.

Just curious if you have any insight into the marketing side of things on this?
I've not asked, but I presume that part of the thought is that people will typically want / need hot water when using their RVs, so they want to have water available to them in the tank. When you're using the RV and have the valves in the "use" positions, water will flow into the tank so that it's ready to be heated and so that you can turn on the water heater without damaging it. So even though the water is in the tank, it's part of your available capacity.

(I could be wrong, of course -- I'm way overdue. As Dad used to say, "I was wrong once. I thought I'd made a mistake, and it turned out that I hadn't." )

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #22

Navy showers
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
I've not asked, but I presume that part of the thought is that people will typically want / need hot water when using their RVs, so they want to have water available to them in the tank. When you're using the RV and have the valves in the "use" positions, water will flow into the tank so that it's ready to be heated and so that you can turn on the water heater without damaging it. So even though the water is in the tank, it's part of your available capacity.

(I could be wrong, of course -- I'm way overdue. As Dad used to say, "I was wrong once. I thought I'd made a mistake, and it turned out that I hadn't." )
I would imagine they count hot water and the plumbing as part of the capacity because hot or cold it still weighs 8lbs per gallon. Even if you cannot use it it still counts towards CCC.

I am just guessing this is why and could be completely wrong. They could just as easily count it because its better marketing!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #24

So why is it after upteen years of making junk tank sensors, they keep them? Imagine if the gas tank sensor worked like that.....
Sergiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:13 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I would imagine they count hot water and the plumbing as part of the capacity because hot or cold it still weighs 8lbs per gallon. Even if you cannot use it it still counts towards CCC.

I am just guessing this is why and could be completely wrong. They could just as easily count it because its better marketing!
That’s an interesting thought about CCC!

I wonder what the yellow sticker is mandated to include.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolbyS View Post
Hello all, first post on here so bear with me. My wife and two babies just started full time RV living. We are in a hemisphere 378. Due to some water source issues with the city water, we had to resort to filling the fresh tank and using that until our water source is fixed. Last night we filled the fresh tank 2/3 full, we each took a shower and no other water use. This morning when we woke up, the fresh water tank was empty and the Grey tank was 2/3 full. Has anybody come across this issue? Any advice would be much appreciated!!
...and you never got the manual/paperwork for the trailer????
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
...and you never got the manual/paperwork for the trailer????
It appears that they bought used, plus no such paperwork for what they need, comes with the trailer. Other than the manuals for appliances and some electronic devices, anything specific to the actual trailer is generic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #28

look at your shower valve. if there is a chrome lever valve with some piping, that is a valve to run hot water for comfort, water suppose to run back to fresh water tank, maybe it got plumbed to gray tank. needs to be off.
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water, tank, water