Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

Fresh water fills Gray tank

So terrible time to find this out. It appears that when I filled my fresh water tank up at a park with no hook up. I checked my tank level after I filled it up and it said full by the time I got to the spot and hooked up and filled or water jug. In the mean time did some other things came back went to turn on the water and it won’t come on Pump is running but nothing, it just sputters. I looked at my tank gage and it shows my gray tank almost full and my fresh water empty. How can this be? Is there valve that’s open or something? Please help out camping now with no water.
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:26 AM   #2

Only way that can happen is if you left a faucet on with your water pump on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ71 View Post
So terrible time to find this out. It appears that when I filled my fresh water tank up at a park with no hook up. I checked my tank level after I filled it up and it said full by the time I got to the spot and hooked up and filled or water jug. In the mean time did some other things came back went to turn on the water and it won’t come on Pump is running but nothing, it just sputters. I looked at my tank gage and it shows my gray tank almost full and my fresh water empty. How can this be? Is there valve that’s open or something? Please help out camping now with no water.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Only way that can happen is if you left a faucet on with your water pump on.
Yes - the only inlets for your gray tank should be sink and shower drains. There is no (and no reason for) a direct connection between fresh and gray water tanks.

If you think about it, if there were, then there would also be a direct path for gray water to get into your fresh water tank.

And that would be approximately bad.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:31 AM   #4

Do you have a grey water flush? Did you fill your grey tank instead of your fresh water?
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #5

Always state the model of rv. You get more specific help. Often help from others hits the mark.

These rv’s are getting so complex. The manuals that come with them are minimal at best.

If you used the city water connection and had a valve on that would fill the gray tank. Then too, filling the water tank with the pressure pump on and a valve open would do the same. Several other possibilities.

Infrequently the new rv’s are simply plumbed goofy.

You will get it. Soon.

It is a good idea to make your first trip as simple as possible. Shake down cruise. Maybe in the driveway. We went to a close park, 5 hours away near a Walmart and Ace hardware. Full service. Ate and drank like kings. Took most of the week to test Every system oand make minor repairs.

There is a lot to learn!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Ryanz71, why do you think your grey tank is full? The indicator lights on the panel? They sometimes are wired wrong or labeled incorrectly. You need to verify just which tanks are actually filled.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #7

Ok so I believe I found the problem. I have an outside sink that I believe was on the entire time so that filled my gray rather quickly. Thanks for the help
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #8

Always keep your pump off unless you need water. If you hear the pump running, you have a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ71 View Post
Ok so I believe I found the problem. I have an outside sink that I believe was on the entire time so that filled my gray rather quickly. Thanks for the help
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #9

Great Thought

It’s so obvious to listen if the pump is on there is a problem. Also keeping the pump off until you need water is a preventative move. Thanks so much for the comments. Obviously this isnt a reply from the original poster but I love reading all the posts to learn new things.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water