Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Fresh water is filling from city connection / not enough hot water

I have a 21 Cherokee Grey wolf. I am having 2 issues.

1. Back in July I had city water connected and water was coming out my fresh water tank over flow hose. So I turned the city water off and pulled the drain valve. I turned on the city water connection and a little bit later water started coming out my overflow again. Ever since then anytime I am connected to city water, it also fills my fresh water.

2. I don't seem to have enough hot water. If I get one super quick shower I am completely out of hot water at the end. It doesn't seem to matter if I use propane or electric. We use to be able to get 1 long shower or 2 quick showers. But that is not the case anymore.

Could these two issue be linked?

Any help is appreciated!
nkoch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #2

I see this is your first post - welcome!

Most likely the two are not likely connected (but that's just an uneducated opinion).

1. Fresh water tank filling while on city water = (most likely) stuck check valve. This is a common problem. The 'fix' is to exercise the check valve (open and close it repeatedly), by: first using one method (city water), then turning OFF city water, turning ON water pump and running some water. Switch sources and repeat (turn OFF pump, turn ON city water, run a faucet). Repeat this a few times. Every time you "switch sources" you're changing the side that the check valve sees pressure (so it opens and closes, like exercise). This puts pressure on either side of the check valve in alternating waves, eventually (hopefully) reseating it and allowing it to work properly again. Next step is to replace the check valve, but this usually fixes it.

2. Is running out of hot water a NEW problem, or simply new-to-this-rig? It sounds like (a) your Hot Water Heater is either not getting hot enough; (b) you're got cold water mixing into your hot earlier in the loop than at the shower head or (c) you're taking long showers. Different answers to the first question will direct the followups (though it seems like you USED to be able to get by, but something new is happening or has happened). The causes for (a) could be anything from "it's colder outside" to "your HWH thermostat needs to be replaced."

A. Make sure all faucets are turned off at faucet/with faucet knobs (including outside shower) - Not just stopped by handheld check valve.
B. Confirm that all your plumbing valves are properly set (in particular, hot water heater bypass valves)
C. Might be that you have to replace the thermostat on your Hot Water Heater - these DO go bad.
D. Lastly (and this is a sort of Hail Mary to limp along), try running on propane AND electric. This seems to give us an almost endless supply of hot water with FAST recovery time (so much so that we can take Hollywood showers with our 6-gal Hot Water Heater, instead of Navy showers).

Any response to guide us? (also, what's the brand and model of your hot water heater? This is always good info with which to start.)
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #3

For the hot water running out, As mebtioned check the outside shower and make sure the water is off at the faucet and not just the water shower head.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

I have checked vales many times. But I did again all valves are off or in the correct position.

Last year we never ran out of hot water this just started about 2 months ago.

The hot water heater is a suburban sw6de.

My dealer (who I do not trust) never have the electric and propane on at the same time. That it can burn out the element. Not sure if that's true but I will try that in the morning.
nkoch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoch123 View Post
I have checked vales many times. But I did again all valves are off or in the correct position.

Last year we never ran out of hot water this just started about 2 months ago.

The hot water heater is a suburban sw6de.

My dealer (who I do not trust) never have the electric and propane on at the same time. That it can burn out the element. Not sure if that's true but I will try that in the morning.
It is very acceptable to have the LP and the electric on at the same time. You'll get quicker recovery and a bit more time before the hot runs cold.

Also... I don't know your location but as the summer turns to fall, ground water/city water becomes colder so the water entering the water heater can be much colder and tempering the hot much quicker.

Finally, your fresh water tank is filling on city water because of a stuck or faulty check valve in your water pump.
There are dozens and dozens of posts on this forum about this issue.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoch123 View Post
The dealer is partially correct. You can burn out the electric element if you have no water in the hot water heater. If you don't 'run it dry', you can use both the propane and electric side together.

There is a pressure relief valve on the hot water heater and you might be 'air bound'. Try bleeding the valve til you get water and not air out of the valve. (A disclaimer here. I don't know where the valve is on your hwh.)

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-12-2022, 06:33 PM   #7

Where it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
There is a pressure relief valve on the hot water heater and you might be 'air bound'. Try bleeding the valve til you get water and not air out of the valve. (A disclaimer here. I don't know where the valve is on your hwh.)

Welcome to the forum!
Nah! Running a little hot water would clear all the air except the tiny bit that's supposed to be there.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, hot water, water