Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Fresh Water Low Fill

2017 VIBE 251RKS. Our FW tank is listed as being 44 gallons, I fill the tank (slowly) until the overflow begins. I then drain the FW into 5 gallon buckets and only get about 20-21 gallons. The gauge say it's full but not even close to the listed fill. I have a worthless extended warranty as well as a worthless dealer...They told me they physically looked at the tank but for some reason I don't believe them. I've heard all about "burping" the tank n(?), sticking a hose down the fill connection(?), blowing in the tank (?),etc. Should I search for another service facility?..this should be covered under my worthless extended warranty.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #2

I’ve got a 2018 grey wolf and if i fill the fw tank until it overflows, its hard to get it to stop. I’ve lost half my water before getting to my campsite. I finally bought a water meter that attaches to my hose, and fill up to 36 gallons. The WH holds 6 gallons (?). That has solved my problem
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

How does the gauge help with filling? Can you tell me what kind of gauge you have? Thanks.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

https://agron.io/products/p3-interna...All%20Products

I use something like this. That way I can fill, but stop before it starts overflowing. Once mine starts overflowing, I can lose half the water in the tank before the overflow quits. Just remember that the FW gallons listed includes the hot water tank, so your actual FW tank is smaller than that.
If your overflow stops right away after you quit filling, then you can disregard this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water gauge.png
Views:	51
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	241708  
Old 10-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #5

Fresh Water Low Fill

Every once in a while as I read the new postings, I am reminded how much I don't know.

Thanks Oregonian for your posting question and especially to MillMitch for your answer. I will soon part with $13.89 for a water meter.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkd View Post
Every once in a while as I read the new postings, I am reminded how much I don't know.

Thanks Oregonian for your posting question and especially to MillMitch for your answer. I will soon part with $13.89 for a water meter.
This forum is pretty awesome. Almost all our camping is state parks with electric only sites. For the entire first summer we had our TT, we stop at dump station on way in and fill FW tank from the potable water spicket. Overflow would start coming out, and I would end up with a trail of water all the way back to my campsite. I finally read someone else's post about the water meter and picked one up. A separate post pointed out that the advertised FW 'gallons' included the hot water tank. I can vouch that with mine, because I initially kept trying to fill within a couple gallons of the advertised amount - and was still overflowing. Once I realized my 46 gallons included the WH, I stop filling at 36 gallons which gives me a little margin of error, and I don't overflow.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

Mine says 46 gal tank. I have never gotten more than 31 in it. Lines hold 1gal and wh holds 6 not sure where I am supposed to put the other 8 gallons. I just gave up and carry a 5gal tank to fill with.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water