Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Fresh water pump AIR LOCK problem

I have a 2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge 3025RL. The last trip out I had an air lock issue with the pump. I filled the hot water heater up and then the fresh water holding tank first. I then disconnected the fill hose and turned on the water pump and opened the faucets in the bathroom and in the kitchen (both hot and cold). This is what I normally do when I dry camp. Each faucet blew out a little water mist and mostly air. I never could get the pump to produce water, even though I could hear it running. The only way I got it to pump water was to disconnect the suction side of the pump and held my thumb over the connection for a few seconds, then connected the supply hose back to the suction side. Everything worked after that. First off...what causes the air lock? Second....how is the easiest way to remedy the problem? Disconnecting the suction side supply line on the pump is a real pain. Thanks.....
3nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

If I'm understand how you did this you were hooked up to city water and filled the wh and then the fw tank? but did not purge the air from the lines while on city water. I think your pump was just pushing out all the air it can take some time when the lines and the wh have been emptied. If on city water I would purge all the air from the lines and wh and then fill the FW and start the pump.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

If it continued to blow air after that first blast, it could be the suction side hose of the pump was loose and allowing air into the system, disconnecting and reconnecting the suction hose may have corrected it.

I had a Sunseeker that the pump was a real pain to get primed if it ran dry, I would have to loosen the suction side hose and wait for the water from the tank to gravity feed so it was free of air then reconnect and it would work.

It is hard to say exactly what caused your problem, and hopefully, it won’t happen again.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

fill fresh water tank, turn on pump,it fills water heater first, open hot faucet to let air escape as it fills tank. then cold faucet . refill holding tank. never heard of anyone filling water heater on city water then trying the pump ,sounds like a unnecessary step. and a hudge air lock ,if hose is not purged of air before attachment to fresh inlet you are just putting air in water heater before water gets to tank.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
Dahagen

At home, I fill the entire water system (hot water tank and all lines) then put water in the fresh water tank. At campsite, it sometimes takes a few minutes of the pump running to purge the air lock. By filling lines at home, I can tell immediately when the air lock is gone and water starts flowing.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nails View Post
First off...what causes the air lock? Second....how is the easiest way to remedy the problem? Disconnecting the suction side supply line on the pump is a real pain. Thanks.....
I wish knew what causes it. On my Rockwood, it's inactivity. If I go a month or so without using the pump, it loses its prime. Happens all the time. I try to remember to put water in the tank and use the pump each trip, but sometimes it's months between trips. I fix it by filling the tank then hooking the fill hose to the winterizing port, throw the valve and send water to the pump inlet. Turn on the pump, turn the valve to pick up from the tank then shut the water off. Good to go.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

If antifreeze suction port valve is not shut all the way, pump will happily suck air instead of water.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
fill fresh water tank, turn on pump,it fills water heater first, open hot faucet to let air escape as it fills tank. then cold faucet . refill holding tank. never heard of anyone filling water heater on city water then trying the pump ,sounds like a unnecessary step. and a hudge air lock ,if hose is not purged of air before attachment to fresh inlet you are just putting air in water heater before water gets to tank.

I dry camp primarily in National Forrest where there is only one remote faucet, so no permanent hookup. I fill the water heater with the faucet pressure instead of filling up the fresh water storage and then pumping ten gallons of water. Much faster and also saves on the battery.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Appreciate all of the great ideas. I will definitely use a couple. The air lock happens so infrequently, but sure is a pain. Thanks again! I really like this Forum!

Tags
fresh water, lock, pump, water, water pump