Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #1

Fresh water smells like sewer treatment

Good morning, folks!

Woke up this morning to a pretty chilly Colorado morning, went to get a drink of water and noticed that it tastes a bit funny and smells like the liquid stuff I put into the tank after I empty it. My water supply is coming from the city water hookup right now. My first thought was that something froze and busted and now the fresh and gray lines or tanks are commingling.

I also might mention that my body hurts and I've been throwing up all night. Could this be coincidence and I've simply caught what my son had a couple of days ago? Sure. It could. But I thought I would mention it.

Anyone else had this happen?
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

You got funk in your tank. When was the last time the tank was sanitized? This is assuming you are not hooked up to a city water connection and pumping water out of your fresh water tank?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #3

Hi, Crunchman,
I actually just added that and some other info to the op. I'm hooked up to city water.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
Hi, Crunchman,
I actually just added that and some other info to the op. I'm hooked up to city water.
Hi,
Do you use a water filter of some sort? If the water is on city connection, there is not much to it that would make the water smell bad.

Background info?
When was the last time the water smelled ok?
Full timer or first trip of the year?
Are the grey and black tanks full?
Did you puke on your pillow and it got stuck in you hair?
crunchman
Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

The water smelled fine yesterday during the day.
We use a water filter that's hooked up directly to the water source, then the hose is hooked up to the rv.
I drained the tanks last night in anticipation of a potential freeze. Although, the grey is showing a third full but nothing would come out. I've had it happen before, but I put some sensor lube or something like that in there and continued to use it, and it drained fine at a later point.
This is not only my first trip of the year; this is my first trip ever.
Lastly, no puke in my hair. Lol
Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Are you SURE your carbon-monoxide detector is fully functional?
CO poisoning causes head aches and nausea!!

Have someone else who is not staying in your rig smell your water and
if they smell the same thing you are then I'm less worried about you.

Are you sure you didn't have any hot water on?? Hot water heaters are
notorious for going sour and smelling like rotten eggs.

Give the water right at the spigot a taste/smell test just to be sure the
issue is inside and not the city water.

Be careful out there!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Good morning, folks!

Woke up this morning to a pretty chilly Colorado morning, went to get a drink of water and noticed that it tastes a bit funny and smells like the liquid stuff I put into the tank after I empty it. My water supply is coming from the city water hookup right now. My first thought was that something froze and busted and now the fresh and gray lines or tanks are commingling.

I also might mention that my body hurts and I've been throwing up all night. Could this be coincidence and I've simply caught what my son had a couple of days ago? Sure. It could. But I thought I would mention it.

the fresh and waste water can not mingle in any situation frozen lines or not . ask where your staying it the water they deliver is well water or treated city water . well water will give you a rotten egg smell in h/w/h if it sets a bit . since your hooked up to the city connection your fresh water tank s/b empty and not just storing water . you may treat the system with some bleach and sanitize the lines and tanks .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
The water smelled fine yesterday during the day.
We use a water filter that's hooked up directly to the water source, then the hose is hooked up to the rv.
I drained the tanks last night in anticipation of a potential freeze. Although, the grey is showing a third full but nothing would come out. I've had it happen before, but I put some sensor lube or something like that in there and continued to use it, and it drained fine at a later point.
This is not only my first trip of the year; this is my first trip ever.
Lastly, no puke in my hair. Lol
I read some of your previous posts to get some background.
You are the army wife living in the 2014 toyhauler during winter in Colorado?

If the water tasted and smelled ok yesterday, the gray tank would not drain last night, I would bet the tank or outlet froze a little and it is allowing grey tank stink to come into the trailer through the drains. Can you run hot water into the grey tank and then drain it?
Did you do as KyDan suggested and taste the water at the city water faucet?
crunchman
Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I read some of your previous posts to get some background.
You are the army wife living in the 2014 toyhauler during winter in Colorado?

If the water tasted and smelled ok yesterday, the gray tank would not drain last night, I would bet the tank or outlet froze a little and it is allowing grey tank stink to come into the trailer through the drains. Can you run hot water into the grey tank and then drain it?
Did you do as KyDan suggested and taste the water at the city water faucet?
crunchman

unless the p-traps are dry odor from the tanks should not come up from the drains .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
unless the p-traps are dry odor from the tanks should not come up from the drains .
This would be true in a "normal" situation but when the grey is full, just before it comes up through the shower drain, you will get the grey tank stink odor in the trailer.
crunchman

Edit: We need to isolate if the water smells and taste bad "before" it gets into the trailer. If the water is fine before the city inlet, we can narrow down the taste or smell issues inside.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
...went to get a drink of water and noticed that it tastes a bit funny ...Anyone else had this happen?
Yes. It was the hose itself. Not all water hoses (white, w/wo blue stripe) are created equal.
I agree with the others. Sample water at 1) spigot 2) end of hose where it attaches to trailer 3) nearest-to-water inlet faucet 4) furthest faucet. Work down the line from the source.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
clr

It may be your hot water heater that needs to be drained, but if that is the case the hot would smell much worse than the cold water. It also my be water that has been trapped in a water line for some time that is causing this smell. Ensure that you run some water from all the faucets, Do not forget the cold and hot water if equipped for a washer in a closet normally, this is a common source of the problem.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #13

I had a similar experience. Turned out that the water filter (built in) was the culprit. I opened it and it was black with goop. All water coming in goes through it. I pitched the cartridge, cleaned the case and all was well.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

I had that problem one time. It turned out the connecting hose to the trailer was bad. I could only guess the hose separated internally and it was dedicated water hose.
elmerfulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #15

I know this may not be the answer but, some of the towns have stopped using chlorinated water. They did this here in Junction and out of the tap the water tastes fishy, I in my home use a RO unit just to drink this putrid liquid they substitute for water.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Not sure it would help in the future,,, But I would use an in-line filter,,,
along with unit filter !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Good morning, folks!

I don't see any way your grey and fresh water can possibly mix so I wouldn't worry about that. You do not say if you are using a white water supply hose. If not you need to get one. As suggested disconnect your hose from the trailer and check it, If it is ok then the problem is in the trailer. If not then disconnect the other end and check to see if the waer being supplied to you from the cg is ok. If not good contact the cg, if it is ok then you have a bad hose so get a new one.

If the problem is in the trailer you need to check your water filter. A question, when was the last time you sanitized your water system? If you don't know then it is possible you need to do it. Use a cup of bleach and about 10 gallons of water to your fw tank. Turn on your fw pump and open all your faucets, cold and hot. If you have an outside shower don't forget it. Smell the water at each faucet and close it when you smell bleach. Now drain the fw tank and flush it out with fresh water. Open each faucet till you no longer smell the bleach, then drain the fw tank and shut off the pump. You have now sanitized your fw system. You can now hook up your fw hose to the trailer and it should be ok.

There are not many things that can cause your problem. City water supply, fw hose, filter and system needing to be sanitized.

Another thing you may want to do, which I do. I have a portable Britta water filter and filter all my drinking water thru it. I keep the pitcher in the fridge so I always have ice cold drinking water that is double filtered. First thru the trailers filter, then thru the Britta filter. You never know the quality of the water the cg is supplying.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #18

X2 on the Refrigerator Filter,,, we use a PUR made to fit in the Fridge !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
Love RVing

We took the water filter off and put 1/4 cup of bleach in it, then reinstalled and it cleaned our odor problem. Changed filter for new one next day.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
X2 on the Refrigerator Filter,,, we use a PUR made to fit in the Fridge !!!
Both the Pur and Britta are nice filters. I like the two quart pitcher that the Britta filters into. As I drink a glass of water I filter another glass so the pitcher stays full. Never have to touch the filter till you change it every few months, or 300 bottles of water. That's a lot of water for one person and one dog!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water