Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
ipb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Fresh water still remains in tank

I have a 19ft Coachmen "Freedom Express". My fresh water tank holds 49 gallons however it always seems to have around 5 gallons left after the pump runs "dry". Is this normal?
ipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,997
I've never been able to measure how much is left in there but yes, it is somewhat normal for water to remain in there.

You could try parking on an angle so that the drain is lower. The only camper I've ever been able to drain everything out of was my pop-up and that was accomplished with a set of automotive ramps.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
ipb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
I knew there was quite a bit left in the tank so when I drained the tank from the drainhole underneath, I saved the water into a container so I could measure it. I know there will always be some water left but 10% seemed like a little too much.
ipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 222
Install a tee/shut off valve to the drain, move the supply line to the tee you'll be able to use all the water in the tank that way.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipb View Post
I have a 19ft Coachmen "Freedom Express". My fresh water tank holds 49 gallons however it always seems to have around 5 gallons left after the pump runs "dry". Is this normal?
It is likely a design feature that the pump does not pump from the very bottom. You donít want the pump sucking up sediment. Five gallons seems like a bit much, though. One gallon should be more than enough.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Member
 
OldJarHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Shelby, NC
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipb View Post
I knew there was quite a bit left in the tank so when I drained the tank from the drainhole underneath, I saved the water into a container so I could measure it. I know there will always be some water left but 10% seemed like a little too much.
Fresh water capacity listed on brochures typically includes the 6-gallons in the water heater. So your FW tank may actually be a 43-gallon tank.
__________________
2015 RAM 3500 Cummins LB 4x4
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8328BS
OldJarHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 432
Is there a problem withe having a little water left?
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
ipb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJarHead View Post
Fresh water capacity listed on brochures typically includes the 6-gallons in the water heater. So your FW tank may actually be a 43-gallon tank.
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that; not that it really affects me practically but it would be interesting to check the volumes.
ipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
ipb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Install a tee/shut off valve to the drain, move the supply line to the tee you'll be able to use all the water in the tank that way.
Thanks for the idea. I think that I would be very nervous about putting a tee valve on the drain though. Because of the location of the drain underneath the trailer, it could leave the tee valve and supply line very susceptible to damage.
ipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
ipb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
It is likely a design feature that the pump does not pump from the very bottom. You donít want the pump sucking up sediment. Five gallons seems like a bit much, though. One gallon should be more than enough.
I definitely agree there should be some water left but it just seemed like a lot. I drain and rinse the tank fairly regularly throughout the season and of course when I winterize it so I'm not too worried about sediment.
ipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BriaBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southern Illissouri
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJarHead View Post
Fresh water capacity listed on brochures typically includes the 6-gallons in the water heater. So your FW tank may actually be a 43-gallon tank.

Do you have any proof of this? Doesn't really make sense to me.
__________________
Brian & Becky

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fresh water, tank, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.